[Albion] Sky sports: Villa interested in Biss

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I very much doubt it.
Would you turn down more money for doing the same job ?

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

If there was a very real possibility of getting a far better job at a far better company for at least as much money then yes I would!

If all he cares about is money then Newcastle surely a probably destination over villa. But if he wants trophies and champs league then you can name saveral clubs more likely than villa. Villa would simply be a case of getting a bit more money and nothing else whereas at least Newcastle would be getting a shed load more money and more likely to dominate in years to come.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I very much doubt it.
Would you turn down more money for doing the same job ?

Money really isn't everything: you want to go where you're happy. I once turned down a job that was a massive increase in salary (more than double IIRC) but it was in Dubai and I wouldn't work there for a ten times the increase.

There's a lot more to a job than salary: the employer, your colleagues, the location, the effect on your family etc. In footballers' cases, it's the potential for a trophy or your ability to be near the first team. I bet Lamptey would be earning more at Chelsea but he wanted first team action.

I'm sure Biss will go this year but I can't see Villa cutting it, no matter how much they offer

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If Biss didn’t have his recent alleged, serious allegations hanging over him - He’d already be anchoring their midfield. He’s that good. So Liverpool are the obvious next destination and he’d be fabulous for them too

I don't disagree , he is a wonderful footballer - but not just those allegations that stops him. Lets just say he isn't the best '' time keeper ''

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fresh reports that Newcastle may offer £50M. Would certainly test our resolve.

I'm surprised his agent hasn't been able to get any of the Top 6 involved ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bissouma, Lingard and Dele Alli would represent quite an upgrade on their existing midfield...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Money really isn't everything: you want to go where you're happy. I once turned down a job that was a massive increase in salary (more than double IIRC) but it was in Dubai and I wouldn't work there for a ten times the increase.
There's a lot more to a job than salary: the employer, your colleagues, the location, the effect on your family etc. In footballers' cases, it's the potential for a trophy or your ability to be near the first team. I bet Lamptey would be earning more at Chelsea but he wanted first team action.

For most of us that is true (as long as we're not desperately poor) - but the more money people have got, the more money does become everything - hence PL footballers expecting a new, improved contract every couple of years or so (or moving to another club that'll pay them more) even though they're earning two or three million pounds (and some a lot more than that) every year.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can't help thinking Newcastle would be huge mistake for him at this stage of his career.

What he and the other players we have who will be linked with big money moves need to realize is that they are currently playing for an elite manager who is making them much better players. Unless they go to City or Liverpool I feel they'll be moving to play for an inferior manager. Put any of our players in another team other than maybe those two and I don't think they will look anywhere near as good - as I said on another thread, Potter makes us greater than the sum of our parts. Potter to Howe? No thank you!

A wrong move now and playing for a much poorer manager could end his or any of the other players hopes of playing at the very top level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't help thinking Newcastle would be huge mistake for him at this stage of his career.

What he and the other players we have who will be linked with big money moves need to realize is that they are currently playing for an elite manager who is making them much better players. Unless they go to City or Liverpool I feel they'll be moving to play for an inferior manager. Put any of our players in another team other than maybe those two and I don't think they will look anywhere near as good - as I said on another thread, Potter makes us greater than the sum of our parts. Potter to Howe? No thank you!

But money is obviously a big factor - given there is no suggestion we were ever close to a contract renewal, he's obviously favouring £100k+ a week, over any of what you have said. Which is absolutely his prerogative.

Liverpool don't like spending, they'd rather wait until the summer and come back at £20M I reckon but could be to late

Just to add context - we signed Bissouma at a time before we really started paying decent money. Lets say £50k a week is our level at the moment, then Bissouma is probably from a £20k 'era' - he probably could have doubled his money with us last summer but obviously has chosen not to

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

As I said before the so called big 6 are possibly waiting to see what happens knowing that they could pick him up for free in 18 months, there is no rush for clubs like that. However if another club gets a bid accepted they may well match the bid and hope being able to offer European football next season appeals to Bissouma’s ambition over the fact that Newcastle (if they are the other club) can now blow most clubs away when it comes to wages.

Added to that is the fact that although the asking price is allegedly £50 million, it may only be certain clubs that we’d entertain that bid from. Other clubs may be told no and Tony will play a bit of a gamble that a big club comes in over the summer or next January, plus he may consider the potential progress we could make over the next 18 months (both on the pitch and bringing through his replacement) is worth losing Bissouma for nothing at the end of his contract.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As I said before the so called big 6 are possibly waiting to see what happens knowing that they could pick him up for free in 18 months, there is no rush for clubs like that. However if another club gets a bid accepted they may well match the bid and hope being able to offer European football next season appeals to Bissouma’s ambition over the fact that Newcastle (if they are the other club) can now blow most clubs away when it comes to wages.

Added to that is the fact that although the asking price is allegedly £50 million, it may only be certain clubs that we’d entertain that bid from. Other clubs may be told no and Tony will play a bit of a gamble that a big club comes in over the summer or next summer, plus he may consider the potential progress we could make over the next 18 months (both on the pitch and bringing through his replacement) is worth losing Bissouma for nothing at the end of his contract.

I get that - but there has been very little in terms of noise either in the summer or now about other clubs. It is mainly opinions.

Re: him going on a free - I think with the risk that Maupay, Bissouma & Trossard could all leave on a free at the same time next summer - Blooms pockets are only so deep so he would be silly not to mitigate some of that risk in my view.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If Newcastle are offering 50 then we've got to take it. Don't care where he ends up, turning that down with 18 months left on a deal for a player who isn't going to sign another would be silly.

If Newcastle have entered the auction, I would expect any of the BIG 6 who have designs on Yves to accelerate their plans. As has been mentioned, they may have been waiting until the summer to pick him up on the cheap, but IF they really want him, they'll have to outbid the Saudis, which, if like me you are resigned to him leaving, can only be a good thing in terms of the fee we get.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I'd be amazed if they weren't keeping a very close eye on the situation.

I think that one of the dynamics going on is that there are a relatively high number of midfielders in the £50m upwards category, (including all of England's best 3 young CM's, but others as well) who conceivably will transfer to another club within the next season or two. I think the likes of Chlesea or Man U might not bid for a Bissouma this window in the hope of still getting a Bellingham, Rice or Phillips in the summer.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If Newcastle are offering 50 then we've got to take it. Don't care where he ends up, turning that down with 18 months left on a deal for a player who isn't going to sign another would be silly.

We can only take the £50m if the player wants to move to that club.

Why would he want to go to Newcastle?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Double / Quadruple his wages? On the flip side why hasn't he signed a contract here if he is so happy?

IF they can stay up this season they really will kick on next season you'd guess.

With Trippier there, and if they can get Lingard as well it is probably a good sign of intent to Bissouma

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Any/all of...

- Ginormous pay-rise
- Being part of a cash-rich, high-profile and hugely ambitious club
- Playing in front of 50,000+ raucous and adoring fans (reality may not quite match the reputation) each week
- Knowing you're soon to be surrounded by some proper baller teammates.
- Being a pivotal part of the re-building of a sleeping giant

Probably mainly the money though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Yves might say no of course. Newcastle can't guarantee PL football next season, let alone European. Holding out for a late window bid from a big club 6 might be his best bet.

I'm not convinced Villa will bid what TB wants for him. I'm also not totally convinced we won't get a bid from abroad.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Double / Quadruple his wages? On the flip side why hasn't he signed a contract here if he is so happy?

IF they can stay up this season they really will kick on next season you'd guess.

With Trippier there, and if they can get Lingard as well it is probably a good sign of intent to Bissouma

Any/all of...

- Ginormous pay-rise
- Being part of a cash-rich, high-profile and hugely ambitious club
- Playing in front of 50,000+ raucous and adoring fans (reality may not quite match the reputation) each week
- Knowing you're soon to be surrounded by some proper baller teammates.
- Being a pivotal part of the re-building of a sleeping giant

Probably mainly the money though.

Yes, Yes. I get the money.

But he'll get that at any club that bids £50m for him.

Why go to Newcastle who are in danger of being relegated, when he can wait for a Champions League club to come along and play at a higher level.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

It's not about him being happy. It's sensible give yourself a good bargaining position by not signing a new deal.

On the other hand i'm not ruling it out. Just like White did, he might feel confident enough in his ability to attract bids and that will sell for a sensible price to sign a deal this week. It's not the most likely scenario, but far from impossible.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
By my calculations Newcastle have enquired about ( bbc gossip) 15 players 2 of which have already signed, if that's Newcastle not rushing into anything silly in the January window then wtf are they going to be like in the summer.

Gary Goals will be lickin his lips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports