Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports News going subscription only

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I've heard a rumour that TESCO are going to start to charging for vegetables soon - the bastards!!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Did ANYONE read the first sentance in the artical?

That is is only being pulled from freeview? I think a few people missed that.

The only time I have watched SSN this year was to see England vs. The Platinum Stars.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tend to find t'interweb - especially the BBC - much quicker.

exactly. apart from Soccer Saturday and during the transfer window, it doesnt provide any meaningfulll content anyway. im not sure why they are bothering, but then im not sure many will care.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's only going from freeview. Most people I suspect already pay for a sports or news package so get this anyway?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Who needs Sky anyway. I have enough on Freesat.
I don't pay these bastards for HD either, or Eurosport.

I get Eurosport for free on my other box. Unfortunately its german eurosport, but you dont need to understand anything if your watching football.

I get BBC HD free and ITV HD free. If you downgraded your Sky to just the free channels would you lose BBC HD AND ITV HD

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
HOLD ON a second, people need to read the article first. For the past year Sky Sports News has been available only via the sports and/or news & documentaries packages on Sky Digital - therefore you're subscribing to the channel. I think on Virgin Media it's available in the L and XL packages - yet again you're subscribing to the channel.

It's been known for months that Sky are withdrawing Sky Sports News, Sky News and Sky Three from Freeview due to BSKYB launching their own version called Sky Picnic which will be a basic number of channels available each month for a fee, i.e. the subscription thing they have on Freeview.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Tend to find t'interweb - especially the BBC - much quicker.

As for calling itself a news channel...

The BBC can be incredibly slow to update the sports pages with anything outside the "big" events. It does a good job but isn't up to the minute, and besides my PC isn't always on, much quicker to flick on the tv than wait for my ageing Dell to crank into life.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
No. or Channel 4 HD or 5 HD (launching soon)

That's really bad. Sky should at least offer their customers BBC HD and ITV HD, if they do not wish to subscribe anymore. I think Sky are shooting themself in the foot here.

More and more people are slowly finding out that you don't need sky at all to watch HD. The people who are not so clued up seem to think Sky has their own satellite when in fact in most cases all you need to swap the skybox for a normal freesat box to get and bingo, you get the freesat channels + HD channels FREE.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That's really bad. Sky should at least offer their customers BBC HD and ITV HD, if they do not wish to subscribe anymore. I think Sky are shooting themself in the foot here.

More and more people are slowly finding out that you don't need sky at all to watch HD. The people who are not so clued up seem to think Sky actually own the satellite, when in fact if you just replace your skybox with a normal freesat box you will get all the free channels again + HD.

You question was, would you lose the channels?! And I said No!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That's really bad. Sky should at least offer their customers BBC HD and ITV HD, if they do not wish to subscribe anymore.

Sky don't charge for BBCHD and ITV1HD because they are free to air on satellite. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here