Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports - Dunk "Keeping Albion's Play Off Hopes Alive" What?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I think Sky consider the likes of Hull, Derby, Burnley as Boro as "Premier League clubs, but in the Championship" - that is why they obsess over them in the promotion race when talking about who's going up, whilst the likes of us, who have never set foot in their guilded Premier League halls, get largely overlooked.

Suits me.

Strange isn't it how Sky do this but the fact is we are one of the most (if not the most) featured teams in their live match schedule since we command the highest average viewing figures of any team in the championship.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Yes as many have said Brighton are ignored by the media.Put to one side the london clubs and it's all about what's happening up north that's why it's so good to see Leicester kicking everyone's backside.Only a sustained period in the prem is going to get Brighton attention.

Brighton is one of the top town/city attractions in the UK.It's very popular.It holds political party conferences where for one week it becomes the focus of UK news and the new tower will give it even more attention.It has to be considered one of the favourite destinations of away fans.Every time the sun comes out the papers are plastered with photos of Brighton beach.
If Brighton make it to the Prem it will be a huge boost for the town and give it great exposure across the world.Growing up I learnt more about where other cities are from football and not from lessons at school.More young fans will start their football lives supporting Brighton if they get promoted because as we all know the majority support Prem sides.This promotion is vital.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes as many have said Brighton are ignored by the media.Put to one side the london clubs and it's all about what's happening up north that's why it's so good to see Leicester kicking everyone's backside.Only a sustained period in the prem is going to get Brighton attention.

Brighton is one of the top town/city attractions in the UK.It's very popular.It holds political party conferences where for one week it becomes the focus of UK news and the new tower will give it even more attention.It has to be considered one of the favourite destinations of away fans.Every time the sun comes out the papers are plastered with photos of Brighton beach.
If Brighton make it to the Prem it will be a huge boost for the town and give it great exposure across the world.Growing up I learnt more about where other cities are from football and not from lessons at school.More young fans will start their football lives supporting Brighton if they get promoted because as we all know the majority support Prem sides.This promotion is vital.

We all know the majority support Prem sides? Have you seen how many kids are at the Amex & wearing Brighton shirts.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
We all know the majority support Prem sides? Have you seen how many kids are at the Amex & wearing Brighton shirts.

You're kidding right? For every one young brighton fan within say a 20 mile catchment area I'd say there are a minimum of 10 Man U supporters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're kidding right? For every one young brighton fan within say a 20 mile catchment area I'd say there are a minimum of 10 Man U supporters.

A few years ago I'd agree, but really not sure this is the case now. Not remotely the case with the kids around here I know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, not kidding. Kids 'like' a team at school, but that's not being a supporter. There are thousands in the Young Seagulls club.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
No, not kidding. Kids 'like' a team at school, but that's not being a supporter. There are thousands in the Young Seagulls club.

Thousands? 3,4? How many kids do you think there are in sussex?how many do you think support Man U,Chelsea,Aresnal,Spurs etc?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thousands? 3,4? How many kids do you think there are in sussex?how many do you think support Man U,Chelsea,Aresnal,Spurs etc?

Not 10 - 1 Man U to Albion - on that basis you're suggesting maybe 1 in 50 or maybe 100 local kids who have a team support Albion ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ten thousand young seagulls. I know one youngster who likes Man Utd, but has no connection with them.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Not 10 - 1 Man U to Albion - on that basis you're suggesting maybe 1 in 50 or maybe 100 local kids who have a team support Albion ?

It's obviously difficult to know but I would guess 1 in 20/30 max so that would mean the vast majority support other clubs.

So why do kids pick a team,because they are exposed to that team.With Prem sides they are all over the TV and media in general.How much exposure do kids
get to Brighton.Not alot.How much to Man U?loads.

Kids go for the winning team.I would guess there are far more young Chelsea supporters now than there were 15 years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When I take my young son to football practice there are always more kids wearing Prem kits.Alot more.

Cheap shirts from Sports Direct for birthday presents, nothing more.

Brighton invites schools to games, runs coaching schools in the holidays & have parties for Young Seagulls. The club are doing a lot for local kids.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Cheap shirts from Sports Direct for birthday presents, nothing more.

Brighton invites schools to games, runs coaching schools in the holidays & have parties for Young Seagulls. The club are doing a lot for local kids.

Cheap?Is £40 for a top cheap?You're just not having it are you.If the majority of kids in sussex supported Brighton they would need a stadium the size of Old Trafford to cope.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's obviously difficult to know but I would guess 1 in 20/30 max so that would mean the vast majority support other clubs.

So why do kids pick a team,because they are exposed to that team.With Prem sides they are all over the TV and media in general.How much exposure do kids
get to Brighton.Not alot.How much to Man U?loads.

Kids go for the winning team.I would guess there are far more young Chelsea supporters now than there were 15 years ago.

You said 10/1 ratio just for Man U, so it'll be a lot more than 20/30 if you include the other 'big' clubs. Sorry, just don't agree. Having spent ages with kids football and cricket teams, there has been a very noticeable increase in local kids Albion support in the last few years. On that basis you'd find max 2 or 3 Albion supporting kids at the primary school just up the road from me, 20+ from Man U and Chelsea 'etc etc' ?? No chance.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Haven't checked the stats but I believe Brighton have had just as many live televised matched on Sky as any other top teams in the Championship, suggesting they regard us as serious contenders.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
4 years ago when my son started playing football his was the only Albion top in the squad. His team had 5 or 6 Chelsea tops. Now it's the other way round - 5 or 6 Albion, 1 Chelsea. In fact the team pushing Albion in the popularity stakes are Barcelona.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
You said 10/1 ratio just for Man U, so it'll be a lot more than 20/30 if you include the other 'big' clubs. Sorry, just don't agree. Having spent ages with kids football and cricket teams, there has been a very noticeable increase in local kids Albion support in the last few years. On that basis you'd find max 2 or 3 Albion supporting kids at the primary school just up the road from me, 20+ from Man U and Chelsea 'etc etc' ?? No chance.

On your basis there would be hundreds of thousands of albion supportes in sussex and so the amex should be crammed every single game.Sorry I'm not buying it.Like I said I see far more tops from the big prem sides.Heck,I couldn't even find an albion top at my local Sports Direct !

My 6 year old son prefers Arsenal to Brighton because Arsenal are in the Prem.I'm afraid there are many more kids like him.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
That's a good table to see.

And a good reminder.

Next year will be 20 years since that happened. Would it be great if 20 years to the day we were securely in the top flight?

Am I missing something in that table? We had a worse GD than Hereford but we stayed up??!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here