Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky Sports £54 price rise

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No, not if you just "threaten" - you have to actually give notice (which you can cancel if you chicken out). My wife tried "threatening" last week, and the best they would do was £10 a month off - but she had to sign up again for a whole year. We'll go through the process of giving 30 days notice after the forthcoming series of Game of Thrones.

Worth checking out the later pages on this huge thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2652651&page=209

Don't know how they get away with their prices. We joined years ago in the analogue days, but the market has changed so much with Netflix etc.
That's what I meant by threaten :)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Easy Ten, Streamtv Box xhanged my mind about live sports on kodi. Its a subscription add on but IO paid £62 for 12 months last week and absolutely love it. So reliable for many channels not just Sky Sports!!

Have been watching CBS Sports and ESPN for college basketball in HD without buffering

Two questions......

....firstly is it REALLY HD quality or does it just say HD in the corner of the screen?

Secondly how far behind is it?

I ****ing love Sky BUT my monthly bill now is over £130. For that I get all the sport in HD including BT Sport (again in HD....they charge extra for HD channels as well, not just a sky thing!) and the family pack but to be honest my TV very rarely comes off a 4xx channel. I also have my phone and internet from them which I find A LOT more reliable than any other provider I've been with.

I've also got a media centre PC hooked up to my telly so could quite easily run Kodi/ANOther streaming service but the times I've played about with it the quality is poor (does appear to be getting better though) and involves a lot of ****ing about finding decent streams etc which quite frankly I can't be arsed. Plus I think Sky+ is about a million times better than sliced bread. I am a mug though who does just swallow their 6 monthly price hikes but it's a good service and I don't mind paying for quality.

My old man left a year or so ago and moved to a BT box and pays half what I pay and gets sky sports 1 and 2. I was round there on Friday and he got a call from Sky trying to get him back on board so maybe I should try calling their bluff and doing the old I'm leaving you are too expensive knock and see if I get a discount.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'll be cancelling sky at the end of this season. I'll have Now TV for entertainment, NFL gamepass and ESPN player for US sport, and streaming/pub for other stuff. Simply not worth it.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Option 1 - Negotiate the price down
Option 2 - Close the account and have your partner open a new one and benefit from a 'new customer' deal
Option 3 - Cancel & Get Kodi (reccomended)
Option 4 - Deal with it.

For those who dont know Kodi is like an operating system that allows apps which neatly lists streams available on the web. Therefore providing easy to use viewing capabilities for all sport, movies, TV shows and even games. If you can use the app store on your smartphone, you can use kodi.

It basically Sky/Netflix/OnDemand all rolled into one for the one of cost of the box or stick which hosts it.

Yes, It sometimes takes a couple of trys to find a decent stream but for a saving of around £700 p/a its well worth it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Who can tell these days ? Its all such a grey area.

Hmm, if I had to make an educated guess I'd say it is. Not that you'd get in trouble for it but Sky pay a lot of money for the right to broadcast these games.

I pay £30 a month for Now TV Sky Sports package. Seems like a cheaper way to watch the footy at home than subscribing. Had Sky in the past and I used to find I didn't have time to catch up on recordings anyway!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I bought an add on to BT. Just until the end of the season, but I have to cancel then.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Hmm, if I had to make an educated guess I'd say it is. Not that you'd get in trouble for it but Sky pay a lot of money for the right to broadcast these games.

I pay £30 a month for Now TV Sky Sports package. Seems like a cheaper way to watch the footy at home than subscribing. Had Sky in the past and I used to find I didn't have time to catch up on recordings anyway!
Probably better of using the day pass or week pass here and there as there's only so much football you wanna watch and you get no football soon for 3 months :)

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Hmm, if I had to make an educated guess I'd say it is. Not that you'd get in trouble for it but Sky pay a lot of money for the right to broadcast these games

Hosting streams is illegal, providing links to streams is illegal, as is downloading content such as movies/music. Actually watching the streams is not, nobody in the UK has ever been prosecuted for watching a stream/kodi.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gone through the same.

Refuse to may considerably more for considerably less - they have lost the CL, Next ashes, some premiership football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

For the Premier League and Champions League, I've often found myself watching an american Fox Sports feed (full HD), so nothing to do with Sky. They're just absolutely taking the piss with their pricing now, so I'll just take advantage of the streaming for as long as it works. I've just been too lazy by half coughing up that Sky subscription for far too long now. And its a greatly reduced product now they don't even have any European football, England games or FA Cup (sorry Rupert, MLS doesn't really do it for me).

They're clearly trying to rinse their customers to claw back some of that CATACLYSMIC £8bn they paid out last year to secure PL football. I'm not bothered enough about it to start helping them pay for that though. If there's a game I REALLY want to see, I'll Kodi it or go down the pub. I'll miss Sky Go a bit, but then I've got Kodi installed on my lappy as well now though, so all being well I'll still see most of what I want to catch.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Steep. Better to nip to the pub as and when a match takes your fancy IMO.

Trip to the pub might cost you 2 pints per match.

Take in 20 games a year at £4 a pint (gone in steep like Sky) and that's £160 a year.

That's a £586 a year saving on £744 a year!

And you get beer instead of a crappy set top box and a monstrosity stuck to the side of your house.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Probably better of using the day pass or week pass here and there as there's only so much football you wanna watch and you get no football soon for 3 months :)

True although I use it for the F1 too. If it was only for the football and you cancel over the summer, or do it your way, certainly saves a lot of money. I only really watch sport on TV so not bothered about not having the other channels!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Hosting streams is illegal, providing links to streams is illegal, as is downloading content such as movies/music. Actually watching the streams is not, nobody in the UK has ever been prosecuted for watching a stream/kodi.

Hmm, I'm not criticising anyone for watching them, hell, if it's an Albion game that's on abroad rather than Sky I'd watch too, but my gut feeling is that if hosting the streams and providing links to the streams is illegal, you're essentially partaking in something that is illegal. I just wouldn't feel comfortable if I watched all of my sport and movies for 'free' because I'd feel like I was stealing them. I'm not saying I'm right or judging anyone else though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In a nutshell what is this kodi? Legal? Free sky streaming I take it?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
For the Premier League and Champions League, I've often found myself watching an american Fox Sports feed (full HD), so nothing to do with Sky. They're just absolutely taking the piss with their pricing now, so I'll just take advantage of the streaming for as long as it works. I've just been too lazy by half coughing up that Sky subscription for far too long now. And its a greatly reduced product now they don't even have any European football, England games or FA Cup (sorry Rupert, MLS doesn't really do it for me).

They're clearly trying to rinse their customers to claw back some of that CATACLYSMIC £8bn they paid out last year to secure PL football. I'm not bothered enough about it to start helping them pay for that though. If there's a game I REALLY want to see, I'll Kodi it or go down the pub. I'll miss Sky Go a bit, but then I've got Kodi installed on my lappy as well now though, so all being well I'll still see most of what I want to catch.

What I meant was Sky have paid that crazy sum for the right to broadcast those games in this country. BT of course the same for the Champions League. So watching the games a different way, has to be contentious. Also they charge a fortune to the pubs. So whilst it's great for the punter it's not really sticking it to Sky/Murdoch as such. If no one went to the pub for football, the pubs wouldn't pay for it. That would really stick it to them! :)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
In a nutshell what is this kodi? Legal? Free sky streaming I take it?

From what I gather its a box (or usb stick?) that essentially gives you an easy way to find and watch streams of sports/movies etc. Sounds like it isn't illegal but a grey area perhaps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What I meant was Sky have paid that crazy sum for the right to broadcast those games in this country. BT of course the same for the Champions League. So watching the games a different way, has to be contentious. Also they charge a fortune to the pubs. So whilst it's great for the punter it's not really sticking it to Sky/Murdoch as such. If no one went to the pub for football, the pubs wouldn't pay for it. That would really stick it to them! :)

I'm not overly bothered about sticking it to Sky/Murdoch or anyone else tbh, if I was then I'd never have subscribed in the first place (and I HAVE still got my Sky box, I've just ditched all their premium content). I'm quite selfishly purely thinking of my wallet. The price has just gone up and up and up over the years, there was always going to be a tipping point for me, and now I've reached it.

Kodi has "softened the blow" as it were, but without that, I think this latest hike would've had me saying goodbye regardless.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From what I gather its a box (or usb stick?) that essentially gives you an easy way to find and watch streams of sports/movies etc. Sounds like it isn't illegal but a grey area perhaps.

Kodi is just a streaming app which you can download onto an Amazon Firestick, which plugs into your TV, or you can just install it onto your PC.

You then download various addons onto Kodi which gives you access to a huge plethora of live streaming sports, TV and movies, all of which are of varying quality and reliability. But you get to know the best ones as you go along.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here