Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky Sports £54 price rise

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is a bit like the Mobile Phone companies. Says in paper today that customers leave the phone shops signing a contract that is far more than they thought they were being sold.
The mobile operators mix up the new phone with the usage rates and most people are unaware what the breakdown of costs is. Thus surprised when they get their bills.
On O2 you pay for the phone separately and can pay that off whenever you want. It's all very clear and not confusing like it might have been for some people. Would have thought the other companies were doing something similar by now?

Re Sky, with the amount of cricket and football we watch there's no way I'm getting rid any time soon. I use streams and know how all that works but I don't mind paying for the convenience and ease of use. I will however be threatening to leave when my contract is up as this always secures a discount.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Re Sky, with the amount of cricket and football we watch there's no way I'm getting rid any time soon. I use streams and know how all that works but I don't mind paying for the convenience and ease of use. I will however be threatening to leave when my contract is up as this always secures a discount.

Agreed... any tips on how to get the best deal out of them?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why on earth does any one buy this rubbish when it's available for free through a variety of sources?

Also seems like threatening to quit and getting an X% reduction is some sort of achievement. Same logic as my Mrs uses when she comes home with a new pair of shoes and tells me I've saved £50

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why on earth does any one buy this rubbish when it's available for free through a variety of sources?

In fairness, you're paying for the convenience of switching on, pressing 3 numbers and watching in perfect HD with never a hint of buffering issues. And of course you can record it.

Things like Kodi takes a bit of "fishing around", and its not always 100% reliable (on live sports anyway). If an Albion away game is live on Sky, I'll likely find a pub to watch it, just to make double sure I'm not left high and dry with a crap feed.

Overall though, its FREE, so its a bit of a no brainer for me now. I'm left HOPING that I'll be able to find a decent HD feed for the Masters though, and the NFL when that cranks up again. Can't see me ever going back to paying for Sky Sports again, its just gotten ridiculous.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just say no, and that you're leaving, you'll soon get a 50-75% reduction.

I have left Sky this week, I've been on a friends and families contract for the last year which worked out at £40 a month for the whole shooting match, telly, Sky sports, movies,phone,and their crappy broadband.
They increased it to £107 at the end of the contract, so I phoned them, and, basically,they offered me a 30% reduction taking the cost down to about £75 a month,so I phoned Virgin,they are doing a better package,an extra recordable box, and their far,far, superior broadband for £62 a month for a year, then £107 for six months on an 18 month contract.
My daughters boyfriend who works in Sky's hq in London,says the cost cutting that is going on there, is very,very stringent, with rumours that they can't afford the football deal

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
In fairness, you're paying for the convenience of switching on, pressing 3 numbers and watching in perfect HD with never a hint of buffering issues. And of course you can record it.

Things like Kodi takes a bit of "fishing around", and its not always 100% reliable (on live sports anyway). If an Albion away game is live on Sky, I'll likely find a pub to watch it, just to make double sure I'm not left high and dry with a crap feed.

Overall though, its FREE, so its a bit of a no brainer for me now. I'm left HOPING that I'll be able to find a decent HD feed for the Masters though, and the NFL when that cranks up again. Can't see me ever going back to paying for Sky Sports again, its just gotten ridiculous.

I assume it's also illegal?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I've just cancelled as well. Fed up with the price. I'm going to get the BT TV total entertainment package. Currently £13 a month and that includes BT sport etc and most of the standard channels. For sky sports and movies Kodi it is.

Oh and it also includes BT Sport in Ultra HD as well.

same here ,BT vision is good value for money.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
so I phoned Virgin,they are doing a better package,an extra recordable box, and their far,far, superior broadband for £62 a month for a year, then £107 for six months on an 18 month contract.

I went with Virgin Media... for two weeks. Hated the box so much that I went through the hassle of ditching it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I accept what you're saying about Kodi but on the plus side you can get a shedload more content. It's fairly simple once a little knowledge acquired, certainly far easier than all the useless functionality of my TV!

For me it's not the absolute cost but the principle of paying even more to absurdly over paid sports people

On the other hand I have come across (in retail banking) a great many people paying out a ridiculously large slug of their discretionary money on Sky and going without on what I consider to be fairly essential stuff, even going into debt to keep it going ... and that's not a small minority!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have left Sky this week, I've been on a friends and families contract for the last year which worked out at £40 a month for the whole shooting match, telly, Sky sports, movies,phone,and their crappy broadband.
They increased it to £107 at the end of the contract, so I phoned them, and, basically,they offered me a 30% reduction taking the cost down to about £75 a month,so I phoned Virgin,they are doing a better package,an extra recordable box, and their far,far, superior broadband for £62 a month for a year, then £107 for six months on an 18 month contract.
My daughters boyfriend who works in Sky's hq in London,says the cost cutting that is going on there, is very,very stringent, with rumours that they can't afford the football deal

For what it's worth, our broadband in Brighton (with Virgin) was dreadful and often came to a standstill, whereas our Sky broadband now (in Newhaven) is always excellent.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Easy Ten, Streamtv Box xhanged my mind about live sports on kodi. Its a subscription add on but IO paid £62 for 12 months last week and absolutely love it. So reliable for many channels not just Sky Sports!!

Have been watching CBS Sports and ESPN for college basketball in HD without buffering

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I like Sky and don't find it awful at all.

Charging an extra cost for HD movies and sports is the biggest con Virgin gets away with IMO. Whilst the rest of the tech world has moved onto 4K content, Virgin is still claiming that delivering 1080p is some kind of premium service. Joke.

I wasn't suggesting Virgin are any better. But imagine if Netflix/Youtube limited their content to 480p unless you paid an extra £10 a month for HD.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I get Sky Sports 1 and 2 on my mobile phone for £4.99 a month. That's enough.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Me and the missus watch a lot of programs on Sky Living and Sky Atlantic which weren't (last time I checked anyway) available elsewhere and as I watch a lot of sport we've stayed with Sky so far. Might have to reconsider now cost is going up!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Threaten to leave, they will offer you 25% off immediately, 35% after a couple of days and 50% after a week or so. Simple as that really.

No, not if you just "threaten" - you have to actually give notice (which you can cancel if you chicken out). My wife tried "threatening" last week, and the best they would do was £10 a month off - but she had to sign up again for a whole year. We'll go through the process of giving 30 days notice after the forthcoming series of Game of Thrones.

Worth checking out the later pages on this huge thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2652651&page=209

Don't know how they get away with their prices. We joined years ago in the analogue days, but the market has changed so much with Netflix etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here