Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky+ HD Box Repairers?

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
This is good advice. Try a planner rebuild, after the latest software upgrade there are a lot of people with problems, google sky box not recording etc and you will find a lot of info. If the rebuild doesn't work try a full reset, this will delete all recordings, but I doubt that will be of concern, if you're considering changing the box anyway.

You can find out how to do these if you google sky planner rebuild/reset.

If none of that works ring sky and say you can't afford to buy a new box and that you'll have to cancel. We got a new 2TB HD + box for around £49, worth a go?

Good luck, make sure you push it.

Not sure you would lose your recordings. Can't recall I'll lost mine when I did it. It was a while ago mind you

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not for me they didn't. Both boxes knackered, they told me it would be £600 for replacements. I told THEM I was off to Virgin, and they didn't try to stop me.

They folded for me but I told them that I didn't appreciate having to argue every time to get my box fixed so went to Virgin anyway .... best TV decision I've made.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and followed some advice on the Sky help forum which seems to have fixed it (for the time being anyway). I deleted my deleted recordings and then did a forced software update (that may not be the correct term) and it is working ok now AND I didn't lose my recordings. Good luck :)

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Not sure you would lose your recordings. Can't recall I'll lost mine when I did it. It was a while ago mind you

No you dont lose your recordings or planner settings when you do a planner rebuild or a software update. You only lose these if you do a complete system rebuild but thats usually a last resort when all else has failed. The hidden menu you need is by pressing SERVICES 0 0 1 SELECT

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the advice :) I've done a planner rebuild already and it didn't solve it.

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and followed some advice on the Sky help forum which seems to have fixed it (for the time being anyway). I deleted my deleted recordings and then did a forced software update (that may not be the correct term) and it is working ok now AND I didn't lose my recordings. Good luck :)

Now thats advice I haven't come across yet, so I'll try that now - thank you!

If all else fails I'll try the threatening to cancel route and see what happens...

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Virgin is better anyway

I would disagree. Always found Virgin clunky with a poor user interface, but each to their own I guess. The main issue with Virgin for me is you cannot get Sky Sports HD. After having it for so long I really couldn't watch football (or anything else for that matter) in SD.

As others have said threaten to cancel. Even if they dont stop you, if you have someone else in the house (wife / brother / parent ect) get them to take out a new deal in their name. Then you benefit from a new customer deal / new box ect all installed for free.

Simples.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I have two TVs running off a single box using an HDMI splitter.

Well done good quality too. But you can't use an 'Eye' with hdmi. You must have to run into another room to change channel. Also it's a lot easier to get 20m of RF cable than hdmi...and cheaper. Shame sky didn't include rf out on their new boxes.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Well done good quality too. But you can't use an 'Eye' with hdmi. You must have to run into another room to change channel. Also it's a lot easier to get 20m of RF cable than hdmi...and cheaper. Shame sky didn't include rf out on their new boxes.

You can get an 'I/o link' that plugs into the 10 pin din socket in the back of the Sky box. This allows you to run an extra coax point/ fit a magic eye..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I recently had an HD box that wasn't working properly. Had tried rebooting, software update, planner resets etc. In the end I called Sky - they said a standard call out was £65, but this included a new box if that is what was needed, then said they would reduce this to £30 as I have been with them a long time (the box was about 4 years old). Guys came within 2 days (on a Sunday), asked what was wrong and simply replaced the box with a brand new one (a better model too with integrated wifi) plus a new remote.

Sky+ HD boxes at one time could come from 4 different manufacturers , Thompson , Pace , Samsung and Amstrad. The new Sky+ HD boxes are now only built by Sky but you need to watch out when the HD box is replaced because if it is in a brown box it is a refurb and not brand new.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

HDMI Cable runs over 5m can be problematical too.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Simple answer - I use the Sky+ App on my iPhone or iPad - can do everything you can with a remote and costs nothing.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I would disagree. Always found Virgin clunky with a poor user interface, but each to their own I guess. The main issue with Virgin for me is you cannot get Sky Sports HD. After having it for so long I really couldn't watch football (or anything else for that matter) in SD.

As others have said threaten to cancel. Even if they dont stop you, if you have someone else in the house (wife / brother / parent ect) get them to take out a new deal in their name. Then you benefit from a new customer deal / new box ect all installed for free.

Simples.

Agree each to their own. I used to lie sky and there are perfectly fine, as is virgin. Just happy where i am at the moment.

Btw you can get sky sports hd on virgin, i have them. Agree it is difficult to go back after to non hd after hd

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sky+ HD boxes at one time could come from 4 different manufacturers , Thompson , Pace , Samsung and Amstrad. The new Sky+ HD boxes are now only built by Sky but you need to watch out when the HD box is replaced because if it is in a brown box it is a refurb and not brand new.

Didn't know that, thanks, but definitely looked new, box was white......guys said it was new too as I asked them.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Would that also apply to a Sky Box that refuses to acknowledge anything other than an hour or so in the future.
Or is there something else I could do.
It's buggering up my series links, something chronic.

Check your signal strength, particularly Input 2. If it is zero you've probably got a loose connection in the back of the box or the cable is being pinched somewhere along the line from the Sky dish.

Unpinch or fix loose connection. AFTER that you'll have to do a planner rebuild.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here