Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sky commentators shocked at Brighton supporters leaving early

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can judge a teams fans by how they react when things go wrong, not when everything is going well.

No, you judge a teams fans by how they feel when they lose or when they feel they have been let down. Just because some chose to stay behind and applaud an inept display doesn't make them uber fans.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
You pay your money you do what you want. If I wanted to leave after ten minutes I will. As it was I stayed till the end and had to wait an hour for a train to lewes and then negotiate a closed a23 meaning I got home at 1.15.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My apologies to everyone on here, to Gus, the team & all those who stuck it out. I have never left the Amex until the last player had left the pitch. On occasions I've had to wait 45 mins in the rain in the bus queue. But last night my 18 year old Daughter suggested we leave because SHE could not stand watching the palace supporters so happy.
Again a sincere apology to all.

Could have been the perfect opportunity to have a discussion about loyalty, supporting you team and showing your appreciation for the wonderful season our players have put in for us.

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
Don't understand why any fan of a club would leave early when it's the last game of the season without clapping your team off, the fans that left early are only adding fuel to people who say we have a lot of 'plastics' nowadays and frankly they have a point.

yep.EMBARRASSING....... .clackers the performance and our firedrill .....you can all pretend its common at other clubs ....it isnt . Champions next season Gus gone and attack minded tactics UTA:bhasign:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
People around me left en masse when second goal went - still 7 minutes of play left - anything could have happened. (it didn't but who knows?):shrug:

It happens at all grounds , it's not uncommon.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
You can judge a teams fans by how they react when things go wrong, not when everything is going well.

I think you are right.

So many games have changed in the last 5 to 10 minutes this season. It must be demoralising as a player to see that. I certainly remember Greer saying so last season.

We live a cosy part of the south east.

It really isn't an area to generate hardcore football fans I suppose.

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
Shocking attitude. Our best season since 1991 deserves better fans than your good self. IMHO of course.
Not at all, bud. My expectations for our club were surpassed this season and I have a great attitude towards their achievements, however, it was an awful performance from most of the players last night and I think they let themselves down.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Don't understand why any fan of a club would leave early when it's the last game of the season without clapping your team off, the fans that left early are only adding fuel to people who say we have a lot of 'plastics' nowadays and frankly they have a point.

I walked out on their second, mainly because I could not bring myself to stand there and watch 2000 scummers lord it over us AGAIN ! I've travelled thousands of miles and spent well over a grand following the Albion this season to some of the shittiest parts of the country, if that makes me a bad fan, then so be it.
Will I be going to places like Barnsley, Burnley and Middlesboro next season.........you can bet your life on it !

I left after the second goal went in as my travel plans included going through Croydon and I wanted to get there before the nigels arrived or burnt it down.....again.

Oh and do pass on my apologies to the fantastic, unbiased and quality sky presenters.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not at all, bud. My expectations for our club were surpassed this season and I have a great attitude towards their achievements, however, it was an awful performance from most of the players last night and I think they let themselves down.

I get that we were not very good. I just don't get how this leads to people withdrawing their support for the team. There was 5 minutes of injury time and anything can happen in five minutes. The team need people to believe and get behind them not to give up and go home.

To be honest After their first I was resigned to losing and I went to have the poo that I had been holding in for the second half. My 8 year old told me not to give up!!

XYZ123

Mar 23, 2013
I get that we were not very good. I just don't get how this leads to people withdrawing their support for the team. There was 5 minutes of injury time and anything can happen in five minutes. The team need people to believe and get behind them not to give up and go home.

To be honest After their first I was resigned to losing and I went to have the poo that I had been holding in for the second half. My 8 year old told me not to give up!!

What made me leave then?... Despair, disappointment and yeah I needed a piss.... ;)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What made me leave then?... Despair, disappointment and yeah I needed a piss.... ;)

But given the pep talk from my boy I used the cigar cutter to cut my poo short and got back to pacing up and down my living room and praying to the football gods.

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
Forget those leaving early - being a lapsed Albion fan, I didn't even bother making the effort to go in the first place. I watched the game on Sky and, although the fans streaming out didn't look too clever to the untutored eye, it was only Don Goodman who pointed it out - proper commentator Bill Leslie attempted to justify the early leavers. Goodman's previous standout commentary contribution in my mind was a game or two ago when he called a player 'mental'. Bring back Gary Birtles.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

I left when the 2nd goal went in, as did many others. What was going to change in the last 7 mins that hadn't happened in the previous 87? The only thing I could see was us throwing more men forward, our backline being exposed to another Palace breakaway and another goal being conceded.

Being in the S/W corner I didn't really want to stick around and watch the Palace fans celebrate making the play-off final at our expense in our own ground. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it.

The players had my 100% support for 87 mins and it made no difference, and as Gus said maybe the atmosphere got to them, maybe it was better for them that half of us left so we didn't put them under any more pressure.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

They did believe in them the atmosphere was electric and the support was amazing last night, lets be honest we were dead on our feet with twenty minutes to go and Palace were bossing it, do you realy find it hard to blieve that people left with three minutes of normal time to go? The game was up we were a spent force, I for one was not going to have to endure those w**kers from Croydon lording it up in my face.

I've been a season ticket holder since 87 and went to Gillingham as many overs did, are we now bad fans becuase we left a couple of minutes from the end?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They did believe in them the atmosphere was electric and the support was amazing last night, lets be honest we were dead on our feet with twenty minutes to go and Palace were bossing it, do you realy find it hard to blieve that people left with three minutes of normal time to go? The game was up we were a spent force, I for one was not going to have to endure those w**kers from Croydon lording it up in my face.

I've been a season ticket holder since 87 and went to Gillingham as many overs did, are we now bad fans becuase we left a couple of minutes from the end?

Not hard to believe and not bad fans but I will never understand how someone will leave early just because the team played badly. If I go to a game I will stay to the end be it win lose or draw because that is what being a supporter is all about. I would have thought that someone who traveled to Gillingham to watch us would understand that more than most. But you pay your money you take your choice I suppose.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I left when the 2nd goal went in, as did many others. What was going to change in the last 7 mins that hadn't happened in the previous 87? The only thing I could see was us throwing more men forward, our backline being exposed to another Palace breakaway and another goal being conceded.

Being in the S/W corner I didn't really want to stick around and watch the Palace fans celebrate making the play-off final at our expense in our own ground. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it.

The players had my 100% support for 87 mins and it made no difference, and as Gus said maybe the atmosphere got to them, maybe it was better for them that half of us left so we didn't put them under any more pressure.

Would another 7 have killed you? Maybe a full crowd singing their hearts out would have inspired the players to pull of an incredible come back. Teams that play until the final seconds of games will often win games, leagues and European cups, even Fergie made reference to this during his speech. I wonder how many at Old trafford leave early if united are a couple down.

Like I say I was desperately willing the team to come back and praying to the football gods and seeing all those people streaming through the exit really knocked the stuffing out of me. Maybe the players had little chance of making a come back but lets face it the crowd leaving would have done nothing but make those chances worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here