Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ski/ Snowboarding 2013/14

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Mad River is a skier owned co-operative – so I guess it’s a case of ‘our club our rules’. The best skiing in the States is out West but I do like Mad River for the reason they do hardly any grooming of their trails so it’s about the most challenging resort on the East Coast. I’ve never been worried about the skier / snow boarder issue so find these skier segregated resorts a bit strange but I suppose they serve a purpose for those skiers who can’t co-exist with snow boarders.
Sorry, I should havemade myself clearer, what problems arise between boarders/skiers ? I cant see( as someone who last ski'd 26 years ago) why they wouldnt co-exist peacefully.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sorry, I should havemade myself clearer, what problems arise between boarders/skiers ? I cant see( as someone who last ski'd 26 years ago) why they wouldnt co-exist peacefully.

boarders can often use a lot more of the slope and generally are seen as a bit more aggressive, where as skiers are all ages and you have all types, you have idiot skiers as you do boarders, but people just like to moan in general.

Boarders often have to unstrap from their bindings so sit down in places which might bug skiers, but im not quite sure as I board.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Boarders often have to unstrap from their bindings so sit down in places which might bug skiers, but im not quite sure as I board.

That's the thing that gets me with some boarders, but like you say, you gets idiots on both ski's and boards, so it's harsh to tar all boarders with the same brush.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Me , I last ski'd 26 years ago for 2 weeks with the army, my kids are both total novices, I will add though that my sister lives in les deux alpes and her husband is an instructor.

Cool. It's a very limited terrain in L2A, unless you go crazy off-pisting :eek: I worked there for 4 years amazing little resort. Where does your sister work?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I did my first day of the season last Sunday in Cervinea, Italy, lovely blue bird skies and a decent covering of snow. I'm working in Courchevel today, nice posh hotel up in 1850, going to have to over night it (free lift pass tomorrow) tons of snow and blue bird skies again :)

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Off to Les Gets mid January, will spend most of the time in Les Gets/Morzine sector but will look to do a PDS circuit one day and pop down to the Praz de Lys on another. Loving the Les Gets and Avoriaz webcams today, lots of white stuff!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Make sure you take a trip down the wall from Avoriaz.

Haha!

Not quite at that level yet! Good on the reds not quite upto the difficult/life endangering blacks!! Will leave that to my wife and other members of the group. I'll meet them at the bottom this year however maybe game in 2015!

Has anyone stayed in Chatel? Looking to do this in 2015 and wondering how in compares as a place to Les Gets and Morzine which we have done many a time but it would be nice to see the PDS from another angle.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Haha!

Not quite at that level yet! Good on the reds not quite upto the difficult/life endangering blacks!! Will leave that to my wife and other members of the group. I'll meet them at the bottom this year however maybe game in 2015!

Has anyone stayed in Chatel? Looking to do this in 2015 and wondering how in compares as a place to Les Gets and Morzine which we have done many a time but it would be nice to see the PDS from another angle.

Do you ski or board?

I fell pretty much top to bottom, down the wall on my board, got three turns in, hit some ice and then fell and enjoyed the ride.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Yes it is! And it's making me very tempted to go out for a long weekend before Christmas!

I had 3 trips planned for the upcoming season but decided to book flights to go around SE Asia for four months instead, thus missing the whole season. I wish I had enough money to do a quick little trip before Xmas! Seeing all the photos from friends out in various resorts is killing me!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I had 3 trips planned for the upcoming season but decided to book flights to go around SE Asia for four months instead, thus missing the whole season. I wish I had enough money to do a quick little trip before Xmas! Seeing all the photos from friends out in various resorts is killing me!

Get something booked up! Have some inspiration:

The view from my bedroom window this morning:

Courchevel this evening:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Do you ski or board?

I fell pretty much top to bottom, down the wall on my board, got three turns in, hit some ice and then fell and enjoyed the ride.

I'm on ski's. Sounds like an interesting decent!

The Wall.JPG

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Got a full two weeks booked over Christmas in le grand born and. Getting a semi just thinking about two weeks in the mountains...

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Will be working in Salt Lake City early January so should be good for a few trips up to Snowbird. The powder can be truly great or should I say awesome in Utah, and SLC is a pretty good base to stay in, all the resorts are an easy drive or bus ride. As an alternative to Denver and the Colorado resorts SLC is a good shout, although no direct flights from the UK.

In early March I will be going to Verbier for a week.

The only real conflict between skiers and boarders is in the head. The only possible advatage I think for ski over board is in the back country, if traversing or skining up. But I really don't see why people want to make an issue out of it. And boarders have certainly added new energy to mountain sports and most likely kept some resorts from closing.
Pic is of the Pas de Chevre in Chamonix, one of my favourite off piste itineries.IMG_0459.JPG

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Colorado is getting hammered at the moment. Breckenridge has got 26" in the last 24 hours, with Beaver Creek and Vail getting over 2 feet in the last week. So much snow in places that the snow depth markers have been buried !! Winter storm Maximus is living up to its name

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here