Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ski/ Snowboarding 2013/14

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whole family going to La Rosiere in March (long tow from France to Italy puts off borders!), but my son is going to Les Arcs in December and again at Easter with his University (lucky git), while my daughter finishes 6th form next year and is looking to do a season.

Me and the wife ski, but both kids have boarded and prefer skis. I think there is something more classy about skiing. Ever seen a chav on skis ? :cool:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Whole family going to La Rosiere in March (long tow from France to Italy puts off borders!), but my son is going to Les Arcs in December and again at Easter with his University (lucky git), while my daughter finishes 6th form next year and is looking to do a season.

Me and the wife ski, but both kids have boarded and prefer skis. I think there is something more classy about skiing. Ever seen a chav on skis ? :cool:
I have, thousands of chavs from Paris flood the Alps every year and they all ski :thumbsup:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Has anyone ever been to Champery? For the last 7 years we have always gone at Easter but for the first time the various school holidays don't match up at all so its a no go. Feb half term is also out so we're looking to get a 4 or 5 day break in before they all go back to school in January. Looking anywhere within an hour or so of Geneva but really struggling to find accommodation of any sort. Champery has come up, from what I've read its not ski in/ski out but a cable car takes you 1000m up to the Portes du Soleil region.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Has anyone ever been to Champery? For the last 7 years we have always gone at Easter but for the first time the various school holidays don't match up at all so its a no go. Feb half term is also out so we're looking to get a 4 or 5 day break in before they all go back to school in January. Looking anywhere within an hour or so of Geneva but really struggling to find accommodation of any sort. Champery has come up, from what I've read its not ski in/ski out but a cable car takes you 1000m up to the Portes du Soleil region.

Only been there in the summer on the DH bike. But on a bike you can get from Les Gets to Champery and back in a day with minimal peadling so would be easy on skis/snowboard. The whole PDS is very well linked up. If the snow is good you'll have a great time where ever you are in the alps.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
@RandyWanger, what's your story? You seem pretty clued up, are working for a tour op or just renting out there? Where are you for the winter?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're going mid-March...might have to pack my thong as well as my snowboard. Not sure where we're going...will be dependent on snow conditions so we will book last minute.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We had an amazing season 2012/13 I really hope this one is just as good! I'm heading to Tignes on the 2/3 Nov for some early season snow as it's already open on the weekends. I'll spend most of the winter between the Tarentaise valley and Chamonix. So excited for winter.

I love Chamonix; it's my favourite ski resort. I have been 5 times. Cracking place. Vallee Blanche is a must.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ski v Board - skied for 10 years, then 12 years ago, went on a 2week board learning holiday with mates - all learners together

every time i go away, i think i should hire skis for a day to keep in "touch", and everytime i think "waste of a days boarding"

I have been boarding for 18 years now, learnt quite late in life so I had a straight choice between the two. I never saw, and still do not see, the attraction of skiing especially in the powder. Each to their own though.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yeah I live out here all year, I do work for a tour op so get to travel to a lot of resorts all over Europe. I live in Chamonix but I go where the work is.

Ah Cool, which tour op? I worked for First Choice/TUI for 9 years, lived out there for the summers too. Spent many a weekend in Chamonix eating massive sandwiches from Paco Loco and getting :drink: in Dicks watching football :)

Last edited:

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

Me and my boy did La Thuile for February half term 2013.
We did the link to La Rosiere twice while we were there, and it is a long tow that's for sure!
We preferred La Thuile of the two, although we loved doing the boarder-x competition run in La Rosiere, that's was great fun!

I heartily recommend La Thuile if you're like me and you hate lift queues. Even though it was February half term, there was hardly any queues for any of the lifts.
You'll also enjoy the Black 3 run in La Thuile.
I read somewhere it is the steepest piste in Italy, but it's not dangerously narrow at any point, so it's reasonably safe if you're careful, even if you're only at a half decent intermediate standard.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Could anyone give advise on video cameras / helmet cams (no cheap jokes please, although I did chuckle when typing that). we have a tried to get a little bit of footage of friends and what not on out mobiles coming down slopes, off jumps etc, id like something I could use to just watch back some runs for the day etc.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Why would boards be banned ? havent got an issue , just wondered , as someone who's only been skiing once 25 years ago .

As for the banning, it's a marketing thing, Atla and Deer as seen as upmarket, swanky resorts and the clientele don't want to see us jibber jabbers in our baggies buttering everything and making them look bad. As for Mad river, I think it's to do with the old 2 man chair to get up to the resort, some H&S BS.

Mad River is a skier owned co-operative – so I guess it’s a case of ‘our club our rules’. The best skiing in the States is out West but I do like Mad River for the reason they do hardly any grooming of their trails so it’s about the most challenging resort on the East Coast. I’ve never been worried about the skier / snow boarder issue so find these skier segregated resorts a bit strange but I suppose they serve a purpose for those skiers who can’t co-exist with snow boarders.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hopefully a stag week incorporating an Albion pre-season European week
Wedding
Honeymoon

No skiing for me this year :down:

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Could anyone give advise on video cameras / helmet cams (no cheap jokes please, although I did chuckle when typing that). we have a tried to get a little bit of footage of friends and what not on out mobiles coming down slopes, off jumps etc, id like something I could use to just watch back some runs for the day etc.

You'll find it hard to beat a gopro hero. For the results it is great vfm and is used in many pro films. You can also take it underwater.

Do a YouTube search for gopro hero skiing and see what people are making with it. I used mine (hero2) last season and it is so much better than the other helmet cams I've used. Slight fish eye lens is perfect for capturing other peoples' jumps etc too.

You need a laptop to watch it back though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here