Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skalak

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
As someone said last week 'he's a little bit pony'.
I'm detecting the NSCs habit of all clubbing together behind a player who is not quite good enough but tries hard. Jiri has looked average at best so far but can cross. Shame we can't just bring him on for set pieces because he hasn't offered much else.
I have to say I agree
I am still not convinced but hope to be proved wrong

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He will be a fan favorite by seasons end. He is improving game by game.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
As someone said last week 'he's a little bit pony'.
I'm detecting the NSCs habit of all clubbing together behind a player who is not quite good enough but tries hard. Jiri has looked average at best so far but can cross. Shame we can't just bring him on for set pieces because he hasn't offered much else.

which has netted us how many goals in his short time here?

He's getting starts for a reason.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
This is an interesting debate - and dilemma for CH.

Skalak's crosses, cormers and freekicks are excellent - as evidenced by the accumulation of assists every game he plays in - but he doesn't offer anything like the threat Murphy does when breaking forward at speed - which is becoming a hallmark of our play. I think Murphy can consider himself unlucky to have so few starts of late.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is an interesting debate - and dilemma for CH.

Skalak's crosses, cormers and freekicks are excellent - as evidenced by the accumulation of assists every game he plays in - but he doesn't offer anything like the threat Murphy does when breaking forward at speed - which is becoming a hallmark of our play. I think Murphy can consider himself unlucky to have so few starts of late.
I'm not so sure about that.

Murphy has 6 goals and 4 assists from 30 starts + 4.

I think Murphy is excellent and has improved all season, but as CH said after Skalak's assist #1:-
'that's what he's been doing in training, all week'.

If Skalak was the only outlet, then yes it'll be a dilemma.
But with the other wingers, Murphy included, able to comfortably run at opposition defences then JS would seem to be a must start irrespective as to who has to stand down.

Would it be easily to think of JS as the new Spanish Dave as opposed to a replacement for Kaz, Murphy et al.

Away at Birmingham he seemed unable to beat his man or know what to do when Bruno had the ball. He also looks like he needs to put on half a stone. I think his crosses are a fantastic asset and with someone like Hemed in the box its a real blessing. Its a real shame Zamora isn't fit and would be massive if we could get him back in just to come on for the last 15/20 and get on the end of those crosses!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Away at Birmingham he seemed unable to beat his man or know what to do when Bruno had the ball. He also looks like he needs to put on half a stone.
Which brings us back round to the fact.

He's played in just 9 games, in a new country, speaking a different language, for a new team, in a fookin tough league.

Perhaps NSC needs to remember the 100's of transfer duds the Albion have signed over the years.
Instead of expecting everybody to live up to the remarkable class of 2015/16.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not so sure about that.

Murphy has 6 goals and 4 assists from 30 starts + 4.

I think Murphy is excellent and has improved all season, but as CH said after Skalak's assist #1:-
'that's what he's been doing in training, all week'.

If Skalak was the only outlet, then yes it'll be a dilemma.
But with the other wingers, Murphy included, able to comfortably run at opposition defences then JS would seem to be a must start irrespective as to who has to stand down.

Would it be easily to think of JS as the new Spanish Dave as opposed to a replacement for Kaz, Murphy et al.

I think Murphy can be excellent but lately, he is far from that and that's why he was probably dropped to the bench. He can get into great positions but his final ball is atrocious. KLL is not yet firing on all cylinders but with Knockaert playing then we can definitely start with JS.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Very harsh. He works hard and battles for every ball. Yes, he's not quite got everything right in open play but, when you're getting an assist every game, you can forgive a lot and he'll only fully acclimatise by playing more.

Have to agree. He battled for everything last night and his positional play when defending is exceptional. Lua Lua could do with watching that part of his game. Skalak looks like he is coming to grips with the championship and I expect him to improve even more once he hits the net. We all know that there are people on this forum who write people off easily. Luckily it is CH that picks the team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's about time he took a free kick.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you ignore the five assists and goal of the season, he's actually done very little in the six starts he's had.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
JIRI OUT. Waste of space.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not only an excellent goal, but he played very well tonight all over the pitch, thought he may have got MOTM over Knockaert.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't wait till he scores a goal. I imagine his reaction will be well worth the admission fee :lol:
Not sure about the reaction, but the goal sure was!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here