Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six points off United or FA Cup Final appearance?

You can choose one

• Pick up six points from Man Utd, but FA Cup semi-final defeat

Votes: 121 84.0%
  • No points off Man Utd but FA Cup final appearance

Votes: 23 16.0%

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It has always been my dream to see us win the FA Cup. I was there in 83 and it left an emotional scar. Unfinished business. I wanted redemption this season. It felt like we had a chance, a real chance. I wouldn't have written the Final off against City. Why would you? Every top team is vulnerable in a Cup Final. History has proven that. The run of the ball, little things that go in your favour. How do we know that Haaland and De Bruyne don't get injured before the final?
This...." we wouldn't have won it anyway " attitude is defeatist. Did our players perform in the semi like it wasn't worth winning, as they are going to get beaten in the final? No they bloody didn't. They aren't afraid of anybody. They fancied their chances and got within a whisker of getting that opportunity. I wanted another pop. However much we progress, Cup Finals don't fall off trees for clubs like ours. You have to grab your chance when it arises. Look at the list of clubs who have lifted the League Cup let alone the FA Cup. We haven't.
So, I can't shuffle off this mortal coil happily until my wound is healed and playing in Europe, as exciting and glamorous as some see it, would not, for me, replace the thrill of a Wembley Cup Final and going toe to toe against a superb side.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It has always been my dream to see us win the FA Cup. I was there in 83 and it left an emotional scar. Unfinished business. I wanted redemption this season. It felt like we had a chance, a real chance. I wouldn't have written the Final off against City. Why would you? Every top team is vulnerable in a Cup Final. History has proven that. The run of the ball, little things that go in your favour. How do we know that Haaland and De Bruyne don't get injured before the final?
This...." we wouldn't have won it anyway " attitude is defeatist. Did our players perform in the semi like it wasn't worth winning, as they are going to get beaten in the final? No they bloody didn't. They aren't afraid of anybody. They fancied their chances and got within a whisker of getting that opportunity. I wanted another pop. However much we progress, Cup Finals don't fall off trees for clubs like ours. You have to grab your chance when it arises. Look at the list of clubs who have lifted the League Cup let alone the FA Cup. We haven't.
So, I can't shuffle off this mortal coil happily until my wound is healed and playing in Europe, as exciting and glamorous as some see it, would not, for me, replace the thrill of a Wembley Cup Final and going toe to toe against a superb side.
I 100% see your point and totally sympathise. I feel a bit like I've betrayed my past self (and the ten, currently, who voted for Wembley) by voting for the six points!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No chance of Europe without that six points……..better chance of getting there with those points than winning a one-off game v City I reckon. First double over Man U as well. Will happily take the points, nice as another Wembley day out would have been.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Shame we couldn’t have both, but when we‘re in the Champions League at their expense the fa cup draw will be a distant memory.

Make mine a double 🥛

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
FA Cup win is worth far more than six points to me. So in this instance, 6 points please.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If it was anyone other than City, I'd take the cup final. But City are going to win that hands down come what may, so take the points thanks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The semi final experience was thoroughly miserable. Absolute ball ache getting to and from the ground, bugger all facilities nearby, getting rained on and shouted at by Manc twats after the game.

Part of me definitely didn't want to go through all of that again.

Whereas, European football at the Amex is unthinkably exciting.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Definitely 6 points. Anyone other than City in the final and it would be a much more difficult choice.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
We had this exact same discussion in the bar after the game last night.

It's not an easy choice. I'd love to see my team in a cup but Wembley isn't a place for losing and I firmly believe City would have beaten us as they will United.

My mates point which was spot on was when were sat in a bar off some square in some eastern european city we'll look back and think what cup final.

So 6 points for me, but not the no brainer some of you are suggesting it is.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I appreciate this isn't the choice but I'd like to actually attend the games we win. Work and personal commitments stopped me going to Wolves and last night but I was there to watch the orbital penalty (or penalties if you count Charlton) and the lacklustre Forest defeat.

That aside, 6 points all day long. European qualification is in our hands much more (3 wins from 6) than it would be in an all or nothing against City.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We had this exact same discussion in the bar after the game last night.

It's not an easy choice. I'd love to see my team in a cup but Wembley isn't a place for losing and I firmly believe City would have beaten us as they will United.

My mates point which was spot on was when we’re cowering under a table in a bar off some square in some eastern european city with chairs being luzzed at us we'll look back and think what cup final.

So 6 points for me, but not the no brainer some of you are suggesting it is.
Corrected for accuracy :laugh:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The semi final experience was thoroughly miserable. Absolute ball ache getting to and from the ground, bugger all facilities nearby, getting rained on and shouted at by Manc twats after the game.

Part of me definitely didn't want to go through all of that again. European football at the Amex is unthinkable.
I was going to post something similar, before the semi I felt differently but I hated every minute of the semi, away games with +30k away fans just isn't fun and with the rail strike it would have been horrendous. Wembley is an awful place for a football match

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here