Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now that Jeremy Hunt has stolen Labour's Non-Dom policy - and following Labour's Green Pledge u-turn - Starmer looks very light on policy.

No wanting to over-commit on budget, not wanting to offend the Muslim or Jewish community, not wanting to be perceived as left-wing as Corbyn, not wanting to offend those who voted Brexit. I'm reminded of David Cameron c. 2010 who was too timid, too vacuous and ended up missing out on getting a majority.

The British people deserve something better than simply "A party that isn't the Conservatives".

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
All anti tories should put their feelings to one side for the next few months. They are toast anyway.

Now is the time to properly scrutinise Starmer and the next cabinet.

There is a real danger he will come to power without having had to sweat, or say very much at all.

It is not in the general public’s interest for this to happen, whatever party they support.

I agree with you on the scrutiny. Starmer is likely to face some of that at least from within his own constituency come the time.

An honourable candidate Andrew Feinstein will be standing against him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reckon it's done them a favour in the bigger picture. the non-dom wont raise the amount claimed or needed, though still have to manage that in the wider budget balancing. now Labour could set out a programme of improving public services, what it'll cost and where tax rises will come, instead of pretending these little sums on side issues make the difference.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Now that Jeremy Hunt has stolen Labour's Non-Dom policy - and following Labour's Green Pledge u-turn - Starmer looks very light on policy.
Just goes to show why Labour / Starmer aren't shouting about their own policies too much. Anything remotely popular is stolen by the Tories in a desperate attempt to stay in power - even though it's against everything they espouse.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just goes to show why Labour / Starmer aren't shouting about their own policies too much. Anything remotely popular is stolen by the Tories in a desperate attempt to stay in power - even though it's against everything they espouse.
Plenty on here have been demanding that Labour release their full manifesto years in advance. As you indicate, that leaves policies liable to be stolen -- as with the non-dom -- and also diminishes agility and shifting in line with changed circumstances (eg, the watering down of the Green Prosperity Plan).
I agree with @beorhthelm that they ought to put more money into public services, especially as there's a public appetite for it. I fear they've left themselves a hostage to fortune in 'going for growth' because, without it (or a shift in approach), the state of public services is going to be a running sore throughout the next parliament.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No wanting to over-commit on budget, not wanting to offend the Muslim or Jewish community, not wanting to be perceived as left-wing as Corbyn, not wanting to offend those who voted Brexit. I'm reminded of David Cameron c. 2010 who was too timid, too vacuous and ended up missing out on getting a majority.

The British people deserve something better than simply "A party that isn't the Conservatives".
There is no need to reveal policy when 20% ahead in the polls. Thatcher didn't.

How many times do I need to explain this? Reveal detail and the tory flies will swarm and lay maggots in it. Bollocks to that.

If you are sufficiently triggered by labour's discretion, by all means vote SWP or SNP.

I presume you don't normally vote labour, so I won't rise to any prick-teasing.

Incidentally, if Labour have no policies, how did JeremyCunt manage to steal one of them? ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is no need to reveal policy when 20% ahead in the polls. Thatcher didn't.

How many times do I need to explain this? Reveal detail and the tory flies will swarm and lay maggots in it. Bollocks to that.

If you are sufficiently triggered by labour's discretion, by all means vote SWP or SNP.

I presume you don't normally vote labour, so I won't rise to any prick-teasing.

Incidentally, if Labour have no policies, how did JeremyCunt manage to steal one of them? ???
1. I didn't say they had no policies, I said they were light on policy. I think they are riding high in the polls not because they are good but because the Tories are toxic.
2. Polls show Starmer has a 30% approval rating with voters. He needs to do more to enthuse and to inspire. Even many of his fans agree on that. You don't convert people unless you can show them another way.
3. I will vote tactically to get the Tories out, but if all things were equal I WOULD consider voting Labour.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
1. I didn't say they had no policies, I said they were light on policy. I think they are riding high in the polls not because they are good but because the Tories are toxic.
2. Polls show Starmer has a 30% approval rating with voters. He needs to do more to enthuse and to inspire. Even many of his fans agree on that. You don't convert people unless you can show them another way.
3. I will vote tactically to get the Tories out, but if all things were equal I WOULD consider voting Labour.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but it is fascinating how the lines like this about Starmer’s Labour are almost exactly the same as what was being said about Blair’s Labour in 1996, the only real difference being the individual popularity of the leaders (which I think other factors such as the modern media landscape plays into).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Confession time.

I have no idea if Starmer will be any good.

But....nobody does.

That's the thing about political change. Until it happens, the only game in town is the lot in charge.

When I say in charge, I mean in office but not in power.

Now, who said that? Norman Lamont! (About his own party. In 1993. A party who stumbled along for several years after that before being defenestrated by the electorate. Luckily, this time, we won't have to wait so long.)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Confession time.

I have no idea if Starmer will be any good.

But....nobody does.

That's the thing about political change. Until it happens, the only game in town is the lot in charge.

When I say in charge, I mean in office but not in power.

Now, who said that? Norman Lamont! (About his own party. In 1993. A party who stumbled along for several years after that before being defenestrated by the electorate. Luckily, this time, we won't have to wait so long.)
Well - when you say 'not so long'. Maybe not as long as we have left - but I have been waiting a bloody long time to get rid of these venal cabal of numpties. Since 2016 at least - before that I just tolerated them.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Interesting piece in today’s Times:

Sir Keir Starmer will overhaul the way Britain is governed by upending the traditional system of cabinet government if Labour wins the next election.

Under plans being developed by Starmer’s team, a series of new “mission boards” will be created to focus on the party’s pledges to grow the economy and reform public services.

Starmer is looking at creating a powerful new executive cabinet that would make key decisions in advance of them being presented to the cabinet, which is seen as too unwieldy to have proper policy debates.

Apparently the executive cabinet will consist of Sir Keir Starmer, Rachel Reeves, Angela Raynor and Pat McFadden

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting piece in today’s Times:

Sir Keir Starmer will overhaul the way Britain is governed by upending the traditional system of cabinet government if Labour wins the next election.

Under plans being developed by Starmer’s team, a series of new “mission boards” will be created to focus on the party’s pledges to grow the economy and reform public services.

Starmer is looking at creating a powerful new executive cabinet that would make key decisions in advance of them being presented to the cabinet, which is seen as too unwieldy to have proper policy debates.

Apparently the executive cabinet will consist of Sir Keir Starmer, Rachel Reeves, Angela Raynor and Pat McFadden
Not sure the rest of the Cabinet would be too impressed.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sounds great...

Labour will cap the resale prices of tickets and regulate resale platforms if the party wins the next general election, Sir Keir Starmer has said.
The plans will clamp down on ticket touts who rip off music and sports fans going to live events, Sir Keir said.
In his speech at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in central London, Sir Keir said access to culture could not be "at the mercy of ruthless ticket touts who drive up the prices".
Fans needed to be able to see the acts they loved "at a fair price".

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sounds great...

Labour will cap the resale prices of tickets and regulate resale platforms if the party wins the next general election, Sir Keir Starmer has said.
The plans will clamp down on ticket touts who rip off music and sports fans going to live events, Sir Keir said.
In his speech at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in central London, Sir Keir said access to culture could not be "at the mercy of ruthless ticket touts who drive up the prices".
Fans needed to be able to see the acts they loved "at a fair price".
It will be Tory party policy by the weekend - and they'll be telling everyone it was their idea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure the rest of the Cabinet would be too impressed.
It's too soon for Starmer to populate the entire cabinet with people who are not occasionally prone to the odd 'red in tooth and claw' outburst. This way he may be able to manage discipline, and the message as well as the plan, strategy and tactics.

The likes of (looks up the names of old labour troublemakers, then thinks, who cares?) may carp, but that's probably a good thing.

:thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Keir Starmer has accepted more free tickets to events such as sports matches, concerts and parties than the combined total of every other Labour leader since records began in 1997, openDemocracy analysis has found.

He has accepted gifts from donors including multi-millionaires, gambling giants, the online shopping app GETIR and the construction giant Mulalley & Co on 28 separate occasions. The gifts include days at the races, hospitality at Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur matches, an Adele gig, and two separate Coldplay concerts. In total, they are worth nearly £30,000.

That is an average of around a £1,000 a ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here