Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
in Gaza, or among Labour and SNP party memberships?
Nowhere.

The labour left will complain that the Labour party put forward their motion too late.

The tories are sulking because they are cross that the speaker allowed the SNP and the labour motion to be voted on. And will later complain that the labour motion is passed. Unless they vote it down.

The SNP are fuming about something or other.

The people of Gaza have never heard of the SNP

And Bibi doesn't give a f*** what we have demanded.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolutely agree that he will be better- he’s got my vote as I have told you repeatedly… just so long as he doesn’t waste his whole term on revisiting the Europe saga!!

But presumably, you'd still like him to address the recession, inflation, lack of investment in the UK, hemorrhaging of City business, staff shortages in the NHS, Care sector, hospitality sector, logistics, the problems farming, agriculture, and the fisheries are experiencing, the export sector, the pensions crisis, the housing crisis and the various other Government disasters without revisiting the Europe saga.

You really aren't setting high expectations then :lolol:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
But presumably, you'd still like him to address the recession, inflation, lack of investment in the UK, hemorrhaging of City business, staff shortages in the NHS, Care sector, hospitality sector, logistics, the problems farming, agriculture, and the fisheries are experiencing, the export sector, the pensions crisis, the housing crisis and the various other Government disasters without revisiting the Europe saga.

You really aren't setting high expectations then :lolol:
I told you this before, whether you remember or not: I voted remain- I lost - I had a beer, took a shower and moved on ….a long long time ago 👍

I’m not getting sidetracked on another WZ European thread buster 😆 suffice to say my personal opinion is that Brexit is not the cause of the issues you mentioned above and reversing it is not the solution 🤔

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Mr Speaker tables an opposition amendment to the SNP’s motion on Gaza 😳 groundbreaking!

Let's call it what it is..corruption. All to protect Israel and it's ethnic cleansing.

A flavour of what's to come in for a Starmer government?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The labour left will complain that the Labour party put forward their motion too late.

The tories are sulking because they are cross that the speaker allowed the SNP and the labour motion to be voted on. And will later complain that the labour motion is passed. Unless they vote it down.

The SNP are fuming about something or other.

The people of Gaza have never heard of the SNP

And Bibi doesn't give a f*** what we have demanded.

Labour split on the issue and the SNP and the Tories both trying to capitalise on that.

No one really comes out of it very well.

Except the Lib Dems of course who I can only imagine got a bit of West End shopping in whilst it was all going on.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Labour wont win power. Tories have far too much loyal support
The reason Labour will win power is because of the Tories loyal support.

The major strategic error the Tories have made is attempting to appease their core vote in case they defect to Reform.

When they lurch to the right they glean back those voters but at the same time alienate those in the middle.

It's the political version of a team 3-0 down at half time going gung ho in the second half. They may pick up a goal or two, but leave themselves open to concede even more.

All Labour need to do (and it isn't much at all) is every now and catch them on the break.

Politically that means appearing a bit right of centre.

You win an election by getting people to vote for you that voted for the other lot last time. Starmer knows exactly how it works, the Tories have forgotten how to win an election (surprisingly) and will get booted out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The reason Labour will win power is because of the Tories loyal support.

The major strategic error the Tories have made is attempting to appease their core vote in case they defect to Reform.

When they lurch to the right they glean back those voters but at the same time alienate those in the middle.

It's the political version of a team 3-0 down at half time going gung ho in the second half. They may pick up a goal or two, but leave themselves open to concede even more.

All Labour need to do (and it isn't much at all) is every now and catch them on the break.

Politically that means appearing a bit right of centre.

You win an election by getting people to vote for you that voted for the other lot last time. Starmer knows exactly how it works, the Tories have forgotten how to win an election (surprisingly) and will get booted out.
Yes.

And also, this is why tory loyalists are screaming at Starmer to release policy detail. They are desperate for a hand-hold, something to grasp that they can lie about. The football equivalent of the team 3-0 down at half time demanding the other team attack-attack-attack in the second half.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes.

And also, this is why tory loyalists are screaming at Starmer to release policy detail. They are desperate for a hand-hold, something to grasp that they can lie about. The football equivalent of the team 3-0 down at half time demanding the other team attack-attack-attack in the second half.
Exactly, you just have to look at the way the Green pledge was lied about and weaponised to force a u-turn to see how it works. Hell you can even go back to Uxbridge and the bare-faced lying about ULEZ to see what happens.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
he really isn't. otherwise governments would try to print their way of any political problem. they do try in South America from time to time and collapse their economy and currency every time.
the household budget model is a reasonable approximation, in so far as government has income (tax) and outgoings (public services), if the second is greater then they need to borrow. if there is less income, some outgoings will be trimmed or borrowing increased. if you borrow too much, you end up paying a lot for interest and cant get the debt down (where we are today). that's all it is, a simplification.
Completely wrong, governments with their own sovereign currency neither need to tax, nor borrow to fund public services. They are nothing like a household. If you don’t believe me, I suggest you read Professor Stephanie Keltons best seller “The Defecit Myth”, or Warren Moslers “Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy”, or a far harder read but technically precise description of the way the UK Exchequer actually operates in “An Accounting Model of the UK Exchequer published by GIMMS”. Also there’s a complete textbook on this economics by Professors Bill Mitchell Randall Ray et al. “Macroeconomics”

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
I think he's correct. Up to a point. There is no constraint to government spending. The idea of equating a governent budget with a household budget is (deliberate) stupidity. However, if you are going to pump that level of funding into the economy, and don't want rampant inflation, then you also need to be prepared to take money out of the economy via taxation. The trick is to take money out from where it is less productive and more damaging (in the pockets and assets of the wealthy and wherever it causes social and environmental damage) and put it back in where it is most useful, eg government spending on public 'good'. And this is where Labour have bottled it. Horribly.
As I mentioned, it’s the real resources available that are the key. Also, taxation is only one tool that can be used to control inflation. It’s main role is to make sure people use the currency.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I see Pottymouth Rayner has come clean and admitted she did indeed benefit from the Thatcher 'right-to-buy' scheme for council houses.

Labour's deputy leader and shadow housing secretary defends her criticism of right-to-buy - and says the Tories have "put the dream of a secure home out of reach for so many".​

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I see Pottymouth Rayner has come clean and admitted she did indeed benefit from the Thatcher 'right-to-buy' scheme for council houses.

Labour's deputy leader and shadow housing secretary defends her criticism of right-to-buy - and says the Tories have "put the dream of a secure home out of reach for so many".​

Come clean ? How could she have covered it up ?

Nothing wrong with right to buy as she quite readily points out. Not replacing with other houses was the issue.

Desperate.

The right wing now attacking the working class for being aspirational and securing a roof over their head. That's where they are.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Whoooops!

The rules really aren't that complex! A couple that marries (or enters into a civil partnership) where each spouse has their own property has up to 2 years to elect which property should be treated as the "main residence" for CGT purposes.

If no election is made HMRC will decide "on the facts" (generally where the person was living day to day) which property qualifies for relief.

See. Not "complex" at all.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Come clean ? How could she have covered it up ?

Nothing wrong with right to buy as she quite readily points out. Not replacing with other houses was the issue.

Desperate.

The right wing now attacking the working class for being aspirational and securing a roof over their head. That's where they are.
First this and now the tax misunderstanding.

Tut tut.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whoooops!

The rules really aren't that complex! A couple that marries (or enters into a civil partnership) where each spouse has their own property has up to 2 years to elect which property should be treated as the "main residence" for CGT purposes.

If no election is made HMRC will decide "on the facts" (generally where the person was living day to day) which property qualifies for relief.

See. Not "complex" at all.
These are allegations by Lord Ashcroft. Paul Staines (Guido Fawkes) even published the birth certificate of one of her children on X yesterday until even Musk had had enough and deleted it, as people were complaining about private property of a child.
It is desperate smearing and until something is proved then be wary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Still waiting for a response in the Galloway thread btw……

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here