Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Bobby Charlton RIP

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
When he died on Saturday it was just two days from exactly 49 years ago when he played for Preston North End at the Goldstone.

He died on Saturday 21st October

We played Preston North End at the Goldstone on Saturday 19th October 1974.

Bobby played for them that day in his player/manager role. They beat us 0-4.

I can't remember if he was one of the scorers but I remember he made us look like mugs with one particular free kick he took.

It was towards the South Stand goal. I assume it was Peter Grummitt in goal.

Their free kick was on the edge of the box. The Albion had their wall lined up, probably in nervous anticipation of a Bobby pile-driver as he stood over the ball ready to take the free kick. However he took the Albion wall completely by sursprise, and instead of taking a run up and trying to blast it through the wall he just lobbed the ball into the air almost vertically, with just enough angle for it to fall the other side of the wall while the Albion players just remained rooted to the ground in total bewilderment as they watched the ball sail up into the air and over their heads, and as the ball dropped to the ground on the other side of the Albion wall a Preston player snuck round the wall and tucked the ball into the back of the net. It was obviously a well rehearsed free kick.

To my recollection Nobby Stiles was also playing for Preston that day. So I suppose you can excuse our total capitulation as we were after all a Division 3 side playing against one fifth of the England World Cup winning side of just eight years earlier.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Was there also watching from the Chicken run with my dad . Was Sir Bobby as well as Alan Ball the only players from the world cup winning side to play at the Goldstone Ground ?
See post above. I believe Nobby Stiles played in the same match when we played Preston North End at the Goldstone in 1974.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually

I see City are investigating offensive chanting about Sir Bobby during Saturday's game? Terrible and am probably 100% correct in my assumptions that these were not committed by any Albion?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I see City are investigating offensive chanting about Sir Bobby during Saturday's game? Terrible and am probably 100% correct in my assumptions that these were not committed by any Albion?
Certainly didn’t hear anything (from their lot or ours) - sounds like it was on some of the home concourses. Lots of comments on their forum, indicating it was just a handful of yoofs.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Certainly didn’t hear anything (from their lot or ours) - sounds like it was on some of the home concourses. Lots of comments on their forum, indicating it was just a handful of yoofs.

I became aware while checking SM at half time at the Etihad.

Incredible given we all gave a minutes applause for Franny Lee before the game - everyone showing respect for a great player - that a small number of City idiots then act like this when the news of Sir Bobby Charlton filtered through.

Here's one of the videos - not sure if there are others. Incredible that someone films it and then puts it on SM! Hopefully long bans heading there way!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Incredible given we all gave a minutes applause for Franny Lee before the game - everyone showing respect for a great player - that a small number of City idiots then act like this when the news of Sir Bobby Charlton filtered through.

Here's one of the videos - not sure if there are others. Incredible that someone films it and then puts it on SM! Hopefully long bans heading there way!

Absolute w*nkers.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

Manchester City ban two minors for 'vile chanting' after Sir Bobby Charlton's death

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here