Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sing a Song for Solly

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When it got to penalty 7 that Solly took, we had the following alternative options:

Mitoma - missed his penalty in the World Cup 2nd round shootout for Japan
Caicedo - missed his penalty in the Carabao Cup shootout at Charlton
Sanchez - goalkeeper
Veltman - not fit enough to start the match

Credit to Solly for stepping forward.
He knew there wasn't a lot of choice.
Agree.

I do think RdZ could have brought on Steele for the pens, but really if your luck is in, it’s in.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
I feel for solly as was a carbon copy of the Charlton penalty , maybe he doesn’t like it in front of the brighton end ? Wish he would put that much effort into taking corners as he doesn’t seem to get it high enough when taking them

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He shouldn’t be anywhere near pens and he shouldn’t have volunteered to take one.
Never once looked confident and I don’t think any fan was confident he would score.
He could pass more accurately than most to any player on the pitch 20 yards away. So still not sure why he doesn't just imagine Caicedo behind a bottom corner and simply pass it in? Its a simple 8 yard pass.

Its a mental fragility not ability imho.

He can do it, better than most with natural ability. I guess it's the pressure, he cracks and bottles then goes for power with the inevitable result. I bet he doesn't hit them like that in Lancing!

Feel sorry for him as he will burden of it and be devastated, but trying the same thing that failed at Charlton was wrong option. Simple pass into bottom corner.

He won't ever want one again! And in context, Solly has been excellent all season, just not at penalties.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What's the point of analysing, pointing the finger and wallowing in regret, loss and misery. We can't change the past. For f**k's sake we all need to move on and take the next big prize......EUROPE!!!
The FACup was THE PRIZE. A chance to repair 40 years of hurt. These chances only come around rarely. Do you seriously want to undertake Thursday/Sunday football with a squad our size, particularly how young some of them are. The current injury list exposes that. RDZ only made two changes yesterday because he couldn't trust those left on the bench.
You still have to analyse yesterday. It was clear from a long way out that ET and Pens were looming. Steele has a knack for going the right way. Sanchez doesn't. I have spent years watching Solly overhit deadballs. It is just his way of striking the ball. Penalties are technique. Solly hasnt got it. He leans back and elevates. He clips the ball rather than hits cleanly through it.
Our overall performance was sub-par. The occasion got to Mitoma. Solly was bang average. We missed Ferguson desperately. Undav is a very poor substitute. Mac, Moises, Dunk and Webster held us together. Enciso muscled out of it. No impact on the bench.
We took pens to our end. We went first. We took six excellent pens. We were putting pressure on them. It was ours to win.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Let's just all make a point of singing a song for Solly on Saturday. A lot. He's a Sussex lad and had the huge misfortune of missing the penalties that dropped us out of two Cups in one season. He will feel absolutely wretched about it.

He could pass more accurately than most to any player on the pitch 20 yards away. So still not sure why he doesn't just imagine Caicedo behind a bottom corner and simply pass it in? Its a simple 8 yard pass.

He can do it, better than most with natural ability. I guess it's the pressure, he cracks and bottles then goes for power with the inevitable result. I bet he doesn't hit them like that in Lancing!

Feel sorry for him as he will burden of it and be devastated, but trying the same thing that failed at Charlton was wrong option. Simple pass into bottom corner.

He won't ever want one again! And in context, Solly has been excellent all season, just not at penalties.
I jokingly said afterwards he should just imagine it like taking a corner. As we know they normally don't get any higher than 2 feet off the ground.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
This is one of the most famous songs in Italian pop music, published in 1982, and it's also become a staple to quote it after or during or before penalties over the years (Baggio's miss in the '94 WC final becoming one of the prime examples)

"The footballing draft - Class of '68" by Francesco De Gregori

The most famous passage:
"Nino don't be afraid of missing a penalty
It really isn't by such details that a player is judged;
You see a player by his courage, his altruism and his creativity."

Being in Italian you will unfortunately not be able to sing it, but it's also nice coincidence that "Nino" in the song wears the #7 shirt :lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Its technique.
As I said before, he clips the ball. He doesn't put his foot through the ball cleanly. With that style, you are always going to elevate the ball. Throw in the pressure of 81,000 people and bingo. Much less at Charlton but same result.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
The FACup was THE PRIZE. A chance to repair 40 years of hurt. These chances only come around rarely. Do you seriously want to undertake Thursday/Sunday football with a squad our size, particularly how young some of them are. The current injury list exposes that. RDZ only made two changes yesterday because he couldn't trust those left on the bench.
You still have to analyse yesterday. It was clear from a long way out that ET and Pens were looming. Steele has a knack for going the right way. Sanchez doesn't. I have spent years watching Solly overhit deadballs. It is just his way of striking the ball. Penalties are technique. Solly hasnt got it. He leans back and elevates. He clips the ball rather than hits cleanly through it.
Our overall performance was sub-par. The occasion got to Mitoma. Solly was bang average. We missed Ferguson desperately. Undav is a very poor substitute. Mac, Moises, Dunk and Webster held us together. Enciso muscled out of it. No impact on the bench.
We took pens to our end. We went first. We took six excellent pens. We were putting pressure on them. It was ours to win.
All true..except you can't change it. Move on.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Always rely on you to find a few bad points to bring us down to earth...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When it got to penalty 7 that Solly took, we had the following alternative options:

Sanchez - goalkeeper

Sanchez - goalkeeper

Sanchez - goalkeeper

It feels stupid discussing it really it’s happened
I think Van Hooijdonk has retired now. Was he even AT Wembley yesterday? :shrug:
He was on the bench with Messi and Mbappe unused subs again 🙄

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I hope he gets rousing support all game. He looked broken after he missed.

On the penalty taking front I was hoping sanchez would take one. He hits the ball with great power and accuracy. Pick a side, ping it in the corner, bob's your(penalty scoring) uncle.
Not sure about the Sanchez idea! He’s used to kicking it out to the half way line and beyond. If he’d taken the penalty the ball might still be in orbit!

Feel very sorry for Solly but, given his track record over the years, I’d rather have had Mitoma as the next option, although I appreciate we were getting thin on the ground for options.

As a matter of interest, what would have happened if both sides had scored all their penalties? Do we start all over again?

Did watch the highlights today and was surprised how close we’d come to scoring on several occasions. Difficult to tell in such a big stadium though I was relatively close to the action.

Man U have got several great saves from De Gea to thank for that win. We weren’t at our best but Man U were poor. Think we should have mixed up our tactics a bit more though. A few more over the top for Mitoma and Solly to chase may well have broken the deadlock.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
How about ?

We love you Solly we do x3
Oh Solly we love you

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And if Steele hadn’t saved any you would be saying the opposite Sanchez had been saving shots all game.
Don’t be silly - just compare the penalty records.

You didn’t have confidence in Solly, well there’s a fair few who felt the same re Sanchez.

As per my post if your luck is in, it’s in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here