Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sing a Song for Solly

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He shouldn’t be anywhere near pens and he shouldn’t have volunteered to take one.
Never once looked confident and I don’t think any fan was confident he would score.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
He shouldn’t be anywhere near pens and he shouldn’t have volunteered to take one.
Never once looked confident and I don’t think any fan was confident he would score.
Come on, we were down to penalty taker number 7 by that point. Not many players left to choose from!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I feel deeply for the lad. Someone is going to miss or have it saved. That’s just the way it is. He’s had a fantastic season. I think we can forgive him this, not that there’s anything really to be forgiven. He missed. On another day someone else will. No recriminations from where I stand. Well played Solly, hold yer head high if you’re reading.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not heard of that song :shrug:
Come on, we were down to penalty taker number 7 by that point. Not many players left to choose from!
I think RDZ could have done things better PVH was his previous clubs regular penalty taker he could have been subbed on when it was obviously heading to pens. I would have no problem if he forced a save but to blaze it into row z twice just fecking annoys me.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
When it got to penalty 7 that Solly took, we had the following alternative options:

Mitoma - missed his penalty in the World Cup 2nd round shootout for Japan
Caicedo - missed his penalty in the Carabao Cup shootout at Charlton
Sanchez - goalkeeper
Veltman - not fit enough to start the match

Credit to Solly for stepping forward.
He knew there wasn't a lot of choice.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
When I saw Solly step up I immediately thought why didn't any of the other (non-penalty taker) players step up. Huge pressure on Solly.

Im a huge Solly fan just not sure he is a pen taker.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
When it got to penalty 7 that Solly took, we had the following alternative options:

Sanchez - goalkeeper

I accept your post has a lot of validity. Im shaking my head at my questioning SM takingbone but I havnt deleted the post. Im prepared to stand corrected.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
People having a go at Solly really piss me off. Its as if they think he couldn't give a f*** and skyed it for fun. He has been brilliant all season, had bugger all choice but to step up and take it, and when you look at some of his goals this season it was hardly hubris on his part to think he could score, he didn't, get over it. He is in very good company of football greats who have missed penalties, not to mention the pressure cooker of a penalty shootout.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think RDZ could have done things better PVH was his previous clubs regular penalty taker he could have been subbed on when it was obviously heading to pens. I would have no problem if he forced a save but to blaze it into row z twice just fecking annoys me.
That tactic worked well for England in the Euro final.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lyrics don't really reflect the situation - I'm sure we won't say goodbye for years but there are no regrets for this wonderful Cup Run...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Sanchez - goalkeeper

This is the only correct answer. Any player who steps up in sudden death should be praised for having the balls to take one. He missed. It happens and has happened to some of the best. He needs to forget it and move on. Far too many good things in his Albion career to allow that to become the defining moment.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I hope he gets rousing support all game. He looked broken after he missed.

On the penalty taking front I was hoping sanchez would take one. He hits the ball with great power and accuracy. Pick a side, ping it in the corner, bob's your(penalty scoring) uncle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here