Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sinéad O’Connor RIP

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
We've been through this before though. A general RIP thread doesn't catch the eye like a specific one. You might ignore it because you think it's one sad loss and it's another. Case in point this week. Trevor Francis and Vince Hill went first, closely followed by Chris Bart-Williams and now Sinead. If you only looked in after the first one, you might miss the rest altogether. NSC is usually the first time I learn somebody has died. RIP Sinead by the way. Had some challenges in her relatively short life. But now, her voice of an angel will be in good company.
Thread title could be updated as and when

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
She had the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. What a voice as well. The passing of her son must have been so awful for her. What a spectacular woman.
IMG_2968.jpeg

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Some great performances being added here. I always liked this song. Maybe it’s aged a bit, but this is how I remember her - cool, edgy, voice of an angel.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thread title could be updated as and when
In the last week, four people and Tony Bennett who I forgot. Plus a mod involved to edit the title each time. I don't think that works. But this idea mustn't derail a worthy tribute thread. I won't respond further and suggest you do likewise by starting your own thread on the topic.

Meanwhile, this thread has referenced some beautiful songs including her wonderful version of Silent Night. Apparently from a 1991 Malcolm Maclaren project The Ghosts of Oxford Street. Listen now with your eyes closed and it truly sounds like an ethereal voice of an angel from heaven.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was a university student when she exploded onto the music scene. I adored her. And I adored her concert film from 1990. And I adored this song most of all, one of the most haunting ever recorded. Listening to the lyrics today, my heart just breaks into a thousand little pieces. RIP, my apple tree, my brightness.

I was listening to the acapella version of this last night. I think its even more haunting, raw and emotional without the backing music. Her voice is strong enough to carry it off and is a beautiful instrument in itself.. ..

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm glad that I was too young to really appreciate the beautiful lyrics sung by Sinead. Nothing Compares is such a sad song but with a perfect voice - I think it would have got me emotionally if I'd split with a partner or brought sad memories back from that time in late 1990.

I remember always watching the ITV music chart show on Saturday lunchtimes with my older sister. There were some amazing hits around that time:

Chesney Hawkes - I am the one and only.
Beverley Craven - Promise me.
Bryan Adams - Everything I do (I do it for you).

RIP Sinead. I hope you find peace now. 🙏

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
No sympathy here, IRA sympathiser and condoned British troops being killed.

SAC

May 21, 2014
No sympathy here, IRA sympathiser and condoned British troops being killed.
According to Wiki, she did when she was young but then realised she was "too young to understand the tense situation in Northern Ireland properly". Have we not all said things when we were young that we later realised were wrong?

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Some great performances being added here. I always liked this song. Maybe it’s aged a bit, but this is how I remember her - cool, edgy, voice of an angel.

I love this song as well and her vocals are amazing but ultimately it's a Jah Wobble tune. I've never been a fan of her own stuff and I think if she wasn't such a disturbed person then she wouldn't have reached the level of fame/notoriety that she did. RIP all the same.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I love this song as well and her vocals are amazing but ultimately it's a Jah Wobble tune. I've never been a fan of her own stuff and I think if she wasn't such a disturbed person then she wouldn't have reached the level of fame/notoriety that she did. RIP all the same.
Not having a pop but describing someone living with mental illness as "disturbed" is unfairly labelling them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here