Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simple Minds: Genius electronic songsmiths or hardcore stadium rockers?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's all about integrity, not disappearing up your own arse, and bloody good management. And perhaps a tad unfairly Simple Minds became the poor man's U2.

Now I'm bias because I'm an Iron Maiden fanatic but just how have they survived all these years? A bunch of 50 year olds whose most recent album went straight to No1 in 24 countries, 90 million album sales and can still fill out stadiums. Simply they have never tried to be overtly political, never let the rock n roll lifestyle get in their way and whilst evolving have retained a musical formula that the fans of all ages keep coming back for. Great management and marketing and not forgetting the multi talented and articulate Bruce Dickinson has also helped.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Been a fan of Simple Minds since '82 and I think their last 2 or 3 albums are as good as they've ever been, definitely back on form.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I have tried before, its shit. Earlystuff is only of interest to obsessives. hence m ycomment about boring blowhards. If its any good it will chart. Hidden geniuses dont exist in a capitalist music business. If it doesn't hit the palate of part of the main stream itis the reserve of cranks.

That really is some statement. You seem to be implying that only music that charts is any good, thus dismissing about 85% of the music industry. You like One Direction don't you?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
That really is some statement. You seem to be implying that only music that charts is any good, thus dismissing about 85% of the music industry. You like One Direction don't you?

What I'm saying is if band X has hits, the reason some or all of its early stuff doesn't is because its poop.When people like a new band they often check out the back catalogue, ive done it myself, it is quite often POOP!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First 5 albums, up to New Gold Dream, are amazing and I still listen to them. After that, nastuy arena rock shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here