Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simple Minds: Genius electronic songsmiths or hardcore stadium rockers?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Never got them at all back in the 1980's, they weren't switch off the radio dreadful but would far rather listen to Talking Heads etc..

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
. When I read stuff like "I liked their early stuff" I know I'm going to be bored to tears by some self important blowhard. simple Mind were very popular with Catchy tunes, but not rock lol.

With respect, their early stuff is genuinely fooking brilliant, maybe if you gave it a try you could perhaps make your own mind up

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They like U2 were another guitar twanging popular pop band. Also like U2 but not later bands like Oasis they sold big overseas as well. Also like Oasis and U2 when they started dipping their toes in politics they began to be seen as nobheads.

When I read stuff like "I liked their early stuff" I know I'm going to be bored to tears by some self important blowhard. simple Mind were very popular with Catchy tunes, but not rock lol.
I liked your early stuff.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
U2 had the Joshua Tree and went from strength to strength, the Minds had Once Upon a Time, then lost it

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I didn't like the era when Jim Kerr started wearing tights, long hair, and a hat like Bono at that time:nono:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Was on team Simple Minds in the 80's as I got so bored by everybody else being on team U2, hindsight tells me that the majority are usually correct.

Jan 30, 2008
remembering their stadium targeted rock, live aid, alive and kicking, lighters aloft, the scottish u2.

Imo none of this comes close to their early stuff. Real to real cacophony is a work of genius and many of their early albums contain tracks that blow don't you forget about me clean out of the water from a hundred paces. It's also hard to disagree the widely held belief that new gold dream is the best album of the 80s.

What happened to simple minds people?
Milton keynes bowl , Wembley stadium ???:
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I saw them at Jenkinsons Brighton October 1980, a mate had Life in a Day single which I liked, but I hadn't heard anything else by them.
Did anyone else see them at Jenkinsons? From what I remember it didn't go very well that night, I wasn't that impressed with them.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
With respect, their early stuff is genuinely fooking brilliant, maybe if you gave it a try you could perhaps make your own mind up

I have tried before, its shit. Earlystuff is only of interest to obsessives. hence m ycomment about boring blowhards. If its any good it will chart. Hidden geniuses dont exist in a capitalist music business. If it doesn't hit the palate of part of the main stream itis the reserve of cranks.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
To me a band reliant on the big sound production. Steve Lillywhite did a great job with Sparkle in the Rain but as a band never quite hit the spot. I do own the Canadian 12" of Don't You from my misguided youth though.

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Loved all the stadium rock in the 80s U2, Simple Minds, INXS and Queen.....best memories from Simple Minds concerts!

Jan 30, 2008
I saw them at Jenkinsons Brighton October 1980, a mate had Life in a Day single which I liked, but I hadn't heard anything else by them.
Did anyone else see them at Jenkinsons? From what I remember it didn't go very well that night, I wasn't that impressed with them.
see them at Milton keynes, cost me £1 return from lewes on the train ! SE trains were doing a deal that day go ANYWHERE
in the region for a quid return, trains were rammed GREAT DAY
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here