Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simone Pafundi

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
17-y-o Italian forward who has played a handful of games for Udinese.

"Brighton's interest in Pafundi is very current: De Zerbi is a great admirer of him and he wants to coach him. To have it, however, he will have to convince his club to show up at Udinese with 25 million euros."

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn't 18 until next March, so I think that rules out DeZerbi caching him for another season at least, doesn't it?

Would probably need to be either loaned back or spend a season at USG.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is De Zerbi now identifying the players he wants and telling the recruitment team he wants them? - instead of the recruitment team (and the algorithms) identifying players and offering the manager the final say yay or nay. Hope not - if that is the case and leads to a clash it isn't going to end well.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Is De Zerbi now identifying the players he wants and telling the recruitment team he wants them? - instead of the recruitment team (and the algorithms) identifying players and offering the manager the final say yay or nay. Hope not - if that is the case and leads to a clash it isn't going to end well.
Im sure he will have a lot of input, and probably the final say on what players are brought into the squad but there was a De Zerbi interview where he basically said he is now used to how things are done at Brighton regarding transfers, and given how well signings have done in recent years that he trusts the recruitment team at the club. I got the feeling that he probably came to the club wanting total control, but has been impressed with what we do & so now see's it as a collaborative effort.

Initially we had that guy Salvatore Monaco who i think RDZ brought in and would help him identify players, but he left because there wasnt enough to fulfil his role, and it was said that RDZ was okay with his leaving as he trusted the data driven way the club operated.

Last edited:

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
Who’s to say the recruitment team didn’t identify him first, then RDZ went to watch him and became an admirer and wanted to coach him?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Im sure he will have a lot of input, and probably the final say on what players are brought into the squad but there was a De Zerbi interview where he basically said he is now used to how things are done at Brighton regarding transfers, and given how well signings have done in recent years that he trusts the recruitment team at the club. I got the feeling that he probably came to the club wanting total control, but has been impressed with what we do & so now see's it as a collaborative effort.
Hmmmm. As I understand it, the manager has always had the final say on players the recruitment team had identified - not the other way round. I know what's been said, and maybe it's the way journos are reporting things ("Brighton are interested in XXX, a player Robert De Zerbi has long admired. etc, etc..........") that makes me wonder if a very determined and a 'My way or the highway' orientated man is chipping away at what he sees as constraints.
Just a minor niggling worry at the moment, and I may (hopefully) be adding up 2 and 2 to make 5. We'll see.........................

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's a mixture of both. RDZ gets the final say but the algorithm still does the heavy lifting. We still research players in the same way and Roberto can choose pursue the targets. If Roberto has particular players he wants and they meet the criteria then they will also pursue. RDZ will not be asked to coach he player he does not want, but the club will not sign players that do not fit their model.

As soon as RDZ let his own recruitment guy go he acknowledged how good our system is. The potential rift was sealed a while back.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't 18 until next March, so I think that rules out DeZerbi caching him for another season at least, doesn't it?

Would probably need to be either loaned back or spend a season at USG.
We can’t sign him until he’s 18, unless he’s somehow entitled to a British passport.

Work permit is unlikely to be an issue, spending that much on an 18 year old means we’d get one on the talented youngster exception if he hasn’t got the points.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a mixture of both. RDZ gets the final say but the algorithm still does the heavy lifting. We still research players in the same way and Roberto can choose pursue the targets. If Roberto has particular players he wants and they meet the criteria then they will also pursue. RDZ will not be asked to coach he player he does not want, but the club will not sign players that do not fit their model.

As soon as RDZ let his own recruitment guy go he acknowledged how good our system is. The potential rift was sealed a while back.
That was a positive sign, I grant you. Things can change though (ask Robert Sanchez!)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Agree . We have no idea how long Roberto will be the manager. He’s Italian they get the huff very easily . All of our players I think should continue to be bought via our trusted and tried method ie Tony’s algorithms not whether the manager happens to like him

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Hmmmm. As I understand it, the manager has always had the final say on players the recruitment team had identified - not the other way round. I know what's been said, and maybe it's the way journos are reporting things ("Brighton are interested in XXX, a player Robert De Zerbi has long admired. etc, etc..........") that makes me wonder if a very determined and a 'My way or the highway' orientated man is chipping away at what he sees as constraints.
Just a minor niggling worry at the moment, and I may (hopefully) be adding up 2 and 2 to make 5. We'll see.........................
I think it'll just be a mixture. Some RDZ will identify, some the club will indentify, but yes overall RDZ has final say. I'd think the only way we sign a player that RDZ hasnt given the green light on is if they're so young they feasibly wouldnt be involved with the first team anytime soon. We arent going to force players on him. Its collaborative effort these days to find players, with no one avenue discounted, and from what RDZ has said he seems fine with it.

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
Fully capped by Italy and played a number of games at U21 plus playing in one of the top coefficient leagues in Europe should mean a work permit should be granted right? All the checklists have been ticked?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Fully capped by Italy and played a number of games at U21 plus playing in one of the top coefficient leagues in Europe should mean a work permit should be granted right? All the checklists have been ticked?
Considering Facundo Buonanotte coming from a tier 3 league (as far as work permits are concerned) got a work permit then this fella should get one without too much of a problem. As per my previous post even if he doesn't get to the required 15 points we'll get one granted via the exception granted to talented youngsters who aren't old enough to have played the required number of games etc to get them the points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here