Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simon Hooper

D

Deleted member 2719

Can’t recall precisely [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] may remember, but he gave a penalty when Fletcher hand balled outside the area. Think he said the arm was Elphicks but even that was questionable.

Cue inevitable Poyet outburst.

Then there was the great tackle by Calderon at The Amex again vs Bournemouth, that resulted in a penalty.

Edit - not that I’m bitter or ever forget misdemeanours against our great club..... think it was 2010!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally don't look at who the ref is as I do believe it all evens out, but Hooper, as you said, has been, involved in wrong decisions against us.

We need a Giraffe graph tracker, Hooper v the Albion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can you explain how a ref books a player for pulling an opponent back from one team but fails to do the same when a player does the same thing for the other team, twice. Both times a free kick was awarded against Digne so there is no excuse that he didn't see it.

Their performance is analysed but they remain a secretive organization that shun any debate and in some cases make ridiculous anonymous press statements. For example, when Son was sent off last year for the ankle tap on Gomez the released statement, which I think was mirrored by one from the EPL, stated the sending off was correct because of the consequence of the tackle. That was absolute garbage as there is nothing in the rules relating to being sent off because of the consequence of a tackle rather than the tackle itself (not dissimilar to Dean's pathetic display at the Riverside). Of course both statements were garbage and the sending off was correctly rescinded.

Nothing will improve until the refs face the cameras to either justify their decisions or apologise for their mistakes.

Some great posts on this thread (after the dusts of hysteria had settled). The comment highlighted above is really interesting. I tried to 'beta test' it in my mind, swapping GP for referee. I had a two GPs and a nurse practitioner misdiagnose a 'march fracture' as gout, resulting in my gut lining being battered by colchicine. I had lactose intolerance misdiagosed as diverticulosis resulting in 20 years of issues that sent me close to early retirement. And there was the consultant ospeopath who have my right knee a 'provocative test' that resulted in my being unable to walk for a month (and yes, I didn't have that before I saw the fool) followed by two knee operations and now the need for knee replacement.

I would love a private apology from these characters. Having them all appear on local radio admitting the error of their ways is something that inhabits only my most lurgid of fantasies.

Refereeing is of course not a matter of life or death, despite the Shankley quote. Does that make the case for facing their audience weaker or stronger?

**** it. On balance you are 110% correct. Medics gave the genera medical council to face if they make serious **** ups. Referees on the other hand carry on like the Illuminati, and only take action on one of heir own if he lets their side down and puts in jeopardy their all-powerful position. It has to stop.

On the wider point of how much of our troubles are our own making and how much scope there is for a fix, after sleeping on it I still feel it is too early to say. I expect Potter to make changes; if we can see that some things really aren't working, I'm sure he can. Sometimes it is easy to forget that our really stubborn manager is no longer at the club.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Must admit I didn't notice this live (I'd basically given up by then), but on seeing the replay it really was a clear foul on Alzate, and as you say, right under the nose of 'Hoops'. He hates us. He absolutely hates us.

Next time he takes charge of one of our games, I am definitely lumping on the opposition.

It’s a big undertaking, but if there’s any truth to this claim of bias we should be able to gather enough stats to back it up.

I do think there’s an unconcious bias towards the bigger clubs in this league. I think it’s human nature.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some great posts on this thread (after the dusts of hysteria had settled). The comment highlighted above is really interesting. I tried to 'beta test' it in my mind, swapping GP for referee. I had a two GPs and a nurse practitioner misdiagnose a 'march fracture' as gout, resulting in my gut lining being battered by colchicine. I had lactose intolerance misdiagosed as diverticulosis resulting in 20 years of issues that sent me close to early retirement. And there was the consultant ospeopath who have my right knee a 'provocative test' that resulted in my being unable to walk for a month (and yes, I didn't have that before I saw the fool) followed by two knee operations and now the need for knee replacement.

I would love a private apology from these characters. Having them all appear on local radio admitting the error of their ways is something that inhabits only my most lurgid of fantasies.

Refereeing is of course not a matter of life or death, despite the Shankley quote. Does that make the case for facing their audience weaker or stronger?

**** it. On balance you are 110% correct. Medics gave the genera medical council to face if they make serious **** ups. Referees on the other hand carry on like the Illuminati, and only take action on one of heir own if he lets their side down and puts in jeopardy their all-powerful position. It has to stop.

On the wider point of how much of our troubles are our own making and how much scope there is for a fix, after sleeping on it I still feel it is too early to say. I expect Potter to make changes; if we can see that some things really aren't working, I'm sure he can. Sometimes it is easy to forget that our really stubborn manager is no longer at the club.

Refs should be miked up like in rugby union. Replays on VAR should be shown on the large screens. Let the paying fans know the reason for their decisions.
The vast majority of fans are reasonable and will admit their own players get it wrong too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a big undertaking, but if there’s any truth to this claim of bias we should be able to gather enough stats to back it up.

I do think there’s an unconcious bias towards the bigger clubs in this league. I think it’s human nature.

Those who have watched since he reffed us at Withdean know it’s nailed on fact that he gives us absolutely no 50/50s and comes up with at least one very wrong decision every game that costs us :shrug:

He was not responsible for us losing yesterday

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Those who have watched since he reffed us at Withdean know it’s nailed on fact that he gives us absolutely no 50/50s and comes up with at least one very wrong decision every game that costs us :shrug:

He was not responsible for us losing yesterday

Sad thing is had we matched Everton and say been on equal terms in the last quarter don't you thing he would have pulled the rabbit of the hat with a dodgy pen or sending off?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Refs should be miked up like in rugby union. Replays on VAR should be shown on the large screens. Let the paying fans know the reason for their decisions.
The vast majority of fans are reasonable and will admit their own players get it wrong too.

You had me up to there. :lolol: :bowdown:

Well, OK, maybe, but can you imagine the scenes when the ref views a genuinely hard call and selects against the home side?

There is a wider issue. It isn't simply about individual decisions. The reason plenty of our lot are seething about Hooper is that they see a pattern of decisions that they see as indicative of bias. Now, the ability of humans to see patterns that don't exists notwithstanding, if this perception is correct then making each decision a public process as you suggest may or may not effect change, depending on whether or not the ref really is out to get us and, if he is, how thick the brass of his neck. What I mean is it will mitigate against genuine errors but not against genuine bias.

My own view is that refs will have unconscious bias, like we all do. I suspect they don't factor this into their training (any qualified refs on here should be able to say whether this is so or not). However....I watch a lot of games....starting from a premise that refs are not inherently biased and are not influenced by a bias....I really don't see a clear indication that I'm wrong.

That said I like your suggestions - change and progress are to be embraced, regardless of our inherent resistances. VAR....drink driving laws....speeding laws....everyone driving on the left....making heroin and cocaine illegal....all anathema when introduced.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Sad thing is had we matched Everton and say been on equal terms in the last quarter don't you thing he would have pulled the rabbit of the hat with a dodgy pen or sending off?

I think that's beyond doubt. Hooper is a cheating shithouse.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Alzate was rightly booked for the pull back but how did Digne escape a yellow for an identical infringement?

I have to say I’m not 100% convinced he was ‘rightly’ booked. For starters, that early in a game most refs (rightly or wrongly) would let it go, the result of the booking was that Alzate basically played the rest of the game at 80% because of the fear of another yellow. Also, was it really a clear booking? Not for me Clive.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have to say I’m not 100% convinced he was ‘rightly’ booked. For starters, that early in a game most refs (rightly or wrongly) would let it go, the result of the booking was that Alzate basically played the rest of the game at 80% because of the fear of another yellow. Also, was it really a clear booking? Not for me Clive.

He cynically stopped an opposition attack, making no attempt to play the ball. That's a booking in anyone's book. Sure, some refs would let it go but, by the letter of the law, he deserved the card. I doubt many fans were surprised to see it.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Can’t recall precisely [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] may remember, but he gave a penalty when Fletcher hand balled outside the area. Think he said the arm was Elphicks but even that was questionable.

Cue inevitable Poyet outburst.

Then there was the great tackle by Calderon at The Amex again vs Bournemouth, that resulted in a penalty.

Edit - not that I’m bitter or ever forget misdemeanours against our great club..... think it was 2010!!

The second was Hooper and sticks in the mind as the worst refereeing error I've seen at The Amex. The first wasn't him. It was Darren Sheldrake.

To be specific the previous criticism of Hooper was not that he hated Brighton, but that he was obviously a friend of Bournemouth. It was a Bournemouth fan site that referred to him as 'Hoops' and I think we'd also have a chummy nickname for him if he'd contrived to award us a penalty in nearly half of the games he'd ever refereed us. Here is his record in Bournemouth matches: https://www.transfermarkt.com.fj/si...n_id=989&saison_id=&wettbewerb_id=&heim_gast=. Hooper was born in nearby Swindon. I wish I could find the original post in a match preview written by a Bournemouth fan, because I seem to recollect that it said that he either has family in, or lives in Dorset.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The second was Hooper and sticks in the mind as the worst refereeing error I've seen at The Amex. The first wasn't him. It was Darren Sheldrake.

To be specific the previous criticism of Hooper was not that he hated Brighton, but that he was obviously a friend of Bournemouth. It was a Bournemouth fan site that referred to him as 'Hoops' and I think we'd also have a chummy nickname for him if he'd contrived to award us a penalty in nearly half of the games he'd ever refereed us. Here is his record in Bournemouth matches: https://www.transfermarkt.com.fj/si...n_id=989&saison_id=&wettbewerb_id=&heim_gast=. Hooper was born in nearby Swindon. I wish I could find the original post in a match preview written by a Bournemouth fan, because I seem to recollect that it said that he either has family in, or lives in Dorset.

Thanks Stato.

The Caldy one was a shocker, never mind leading Cavanagh vs Man Utd and yesterday’s inept display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Must admit I didn't notice this live (I'd basically given up by then), but on seeing the replay it really was a clear foul on Alzate, and as you say, right under the nose of 'Hoops'. He hates us. He absolutely hates us.

Next time he takes charge of one of our games, I am definitely lumping on the opposition.

It couldn’t have been more obvious, he really is a shit referee.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You had me up to there. :lolol: :bowdown:

Well, OK, maybe, but can you imagine the scenes when the ref views a genuinely hard call and selects against the home side?

There is a wider issue. It isn't simply about individual decisions. The reason plenty of our lot are seething about Hooper is that they see a pattern of decisions that they see as indicative of bias. Now, the ability of humans to see patterns that don't exists notwithstanding, if this perception is correct then making each decision a public process as you suggest may or may not effect change, depending on whether or not the ref really is out to get us and, if he is, how thick the brass of his neck. What I mean is it will mitigate against genuine errors but not against genuine bias.

My own view is that refs will have unconscious bias, like we all do. I suspect they don't factor this into their training (any qualified refs on here should be able to say whether this is so or not). However....I watch a lot of games....starting from a premise that refs are not inherently biased and are not influenced by a bias....I really don't see a clear indication that I'm wrong.

That said I like your suggestions - change and progress are to be embraced, regardless of our inherent resistances. VAR....drink driving laws....speeding laws....everyone driving on the left....making heroin and cocaine illegal....all anathema when introduced.

There is always unconscious bias but it would also assist accountability. At present, referees will always back each other up, rightly or wrongly.
I was naive to think bringing in professional referees would help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Vardy had the last 5 minutes, he's just had, playing for the Albion he'd be off by now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It is definitely a booking. The problem is the obvious absence of consistency and that begs the question if that is down to incompetence or bias!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It might have been mentioned before but all game he was continually in the way of our players. I lost count of the number of time he bearly got out of the way of the ball when we were passing

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It might have been mentioned before but all game he was continually in the way of our players. I lost count of the number of time he bearly got out of the way of the ball when we were passing

His positioning was appalling.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not sure you can compare mistakes relating to a private medical matter to those made in the glaring spotlight of the public eye. Your ref to the mysterious illuminati (don's conspiracist theory cap) might not be too far from the truth if, for example, there were a number of referees that were Freemasons!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

The NFL is the best example.
I like the idea of the coaches being allowed to challenge once per half.

As per my other post, the whole allocation of referees requires a lot more transparency, and that’s a starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here