Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Hooper- referee, cheat or just an incompetent buffoon?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My sons mate sits in the North Stand and he is the only person who I have heard say it was a definite penalty. Apart from that decision, which I thoughjt was terrible, every time he moved he either got in the way of the players or the ball.

Not being funny but your sons mate cannot have seen it or is on a windup

or is 9 years old.

On another thread a BHA supporter in the North said exactly the same a stonewall penalty but having watched the U Tube/facebook video I dont think it was.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Here is a page from an AFCB site from last year saying what a great mate he is:

http://www.rednblack.net/2013/08/31/simon-hooper-wiltshire/

He's from Wiltshire, as near to Dorset as West Sussex is to East. He shouldn't be refereeing Bournemouth matches.

So even before yesterday he was known as 'Hoops' by the Bournemouth fans. I am starting to think he knew exactly what he was doing when he gave that penalty.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There were a couple of fouls on your players which were so blatant it genuinely had a few around me in laughter when they weren't given.

The penalty, he was the only person in the ground that thought it.

The inability to stop your lot time wasting, which started 24 minutes in, was also pretty shocking.

Thought the time wasting started before kick off with that pain in the arse huddle teams do, everyone was ready, their outfield players 'do the huddle' and then their keeper decides to join in further delayiong kick-off. Hacks me off when it happens without the ref doing anything about it

Jim_AFCB

Oct 9, 2010
Just seen it on SSN.

From the angle the referee had, I can totally understand why he gave it. The fact that the ball didnt change direction as Calderon touched it was the killer for the ref who was more or less behind it.

I've also seen a still in the Bournemouth Echo which shows Calderon getting the ball cleanly. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...f_made_honest_mistake_over_penalty_says_Howe/

I once gave a penalty in a very similar situation. It looked a clear penalty from where I was every day of the week, but the forward who was tripped told me after the game that the defender had got the ball cleanly. Didn't affect the result, thankfully.

The ref - and Calderon - got unlucky with that one. That's football.

As for the rednblack.net link - the poster who put that up moves around a lot in refereeing circles and she knows a lot of them personally, hence the 'Hoops' reference. Nothing sinister there.

Incidentally, in the Colchester game referred to in the link above, Colchester were one of the most cynical timewasting teams I have ever seen (taking ages over goal kicks, walking or carrying the ball away after free kicks, you name it...) and Hooper was equally inactive in dealing with it then, so he has form.

Last edited:

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Well looks like he will be sitting down and watching this dvd nasty for some time ,and realizing what a complete balls up he made of that decision .And Ps why should league 2 be lumbered with the fool .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As for the rednblack.net link - the poster who put that up moves around a lot in refereeing circles and she knows a lot of them personally, hence the 'Hoops' reference. Nothing sinister there.

And yet, from the reports on that page, it seems that quite a few opposition teams 'got unlucky', doesn't it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just seen it on SSN.

From the angle the referee had, I can totally understand why he gave it. The fact that the ball didnt change direction as Calderon touched it was the killer for the ref who was more or less behind it.

I've also seen a still in the Bournemouth Echo which shows Calderon getting the ball cleanly. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...f_made_honest_mistake_over_penalty_says_Howe/

I once gave a penalty in a very similar situation. It looked a clear penalty from where I was every day of the week, but the forward who was tripped told me after the game that the defender had got the ball cleanly. Didn't affect the result, thankfully.

Incidentally, in the Colchester game referred to in the link above, Colchester were one of the most cynical timewasting teams I have ever seen (taking ages over goal kicks, walking or carrying the ball away after free kicks, you name it...) and Hooper was equally inactive in dealing with it then, so he has form.

"From the angle the referee had, I can totally understand why he gave it." Quote
If the angle he saw it from made him unsure, then he should have relied on his lino, who gave a corner.
As for Hooper allowing time wasting, i think he allows it so that he can keep up with play, he is clearly not fit enough to let a game flow.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Just seen it on SSN.

I always find it quite amusing how magnanamous people can be when benefitting from a refereeing clanger like that yesterday. It was so bad it was embarrassing.

Of course people like you and Eddie Howe are going to think 'honest mistake'. If the boot was on the other foot, you would not be as measured, you would be absolutely furious - like I still am this morning that an incompetent referee will not be taking to task over such a glaring error.

And as for the comments about us not being able to finish - yes that's true, but Bournemouth's attitude to the game clearly changed after going in front, and that's what a goal like that can do to a game. They look prepared to come and give us a game, which we would of course have beaten them at, but they went 4-5-1 after the penalty, and while we should have scored at least 3 - chances particuarly in the 2nd half were at a premium.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
In the past 3 seasons I think I've only seen about 2 decent refs, the rest have been extremely poor, for both sides that are playing, it's expected now

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guess so, if you call one out of 6 "quite a few...." ???

Well, add on yesterdays and that's 2 of 7. Then factor in that the writer is biased both in terms of being B'muff, AND in being part of the refereering fraternity.

He favoured Bournemouth, pure and simple. Not because of one single dreadful decision (he was in a poor position, is no excuse. Its his JOB to be in a good position, and he has an assistant to use if necessary) but a whole catalogue of small ones, too.

The failure to book Francis for clattering Lualua when he'd skinned him for the second time, had a big bearing on things. The throw-ins given the wrong way. The goal-kick that should clearly have been a corner. the failure to address the time-wasting. It all adds up. Whether deliberatly or sub-conciously, he favoured you.

I don't expect you to be fair minded enough to admit it, though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The next time we play Bournemouth, let's have a referee from West Sussex, and see if a few dubious decisions go in our favour.

Jim_AFCB

Oct 9, 2010
I wasn't there yesterday, so I can't comment about the decisions over the game as a whole, and whether the ref "appeared to favour us", But I have seen other Brighton posters comment that there was a stonewall penalty we didn't get, in addition to a clear handball against a Brighton player not given and a couple of other clear fouls not given to AFCB.

So, while Mr. Hooper clearly didn't have a great day at the office yesterday, taking all posts from those who were there into account, it's easy to come to the conclusion he was equally crap to both sides.
I don't know where in Wiltshire he is from, but he could easily be from the other end of the county which is nearly as far from us as you are. One of his earlier games with us was against Aldershot which is in Hants, which is right next to... Wilts.

Do you honestly think a referee goes out onto the field of play intending to favour one side over another?? By implication, in that case, you are saying he is bent.

I like to think I am fair minded. There are plenty of occasions this season when those sat around me are up in arms at a ref's decision, but I am thinking "no... he's got that one right", most recently on Sunday when we had a possible winning goal disallowed for a push on the keeper.
I found that doing the course then refereeing for a few seasons changed my outlook on the game even when watching AFCB.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wasn't there yesterday, so I can't comment about the decisions over the game as a whole

So, while Mr. Hooper clearly didn't have a great day at the office yesterday, taking all posts from those who were there into account, it's easy to come to the conclusion he was equally crap to both sides.

You mean it's easy to WANT to come to that conclusion. He wasn't 'equally crap'. Not even close.

Do you honestly think a referee goes out onto the field of play intending to favour one side over another?? .

Occasionally, yes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wasn't there yesterday, so I can't comment about the decisions over the game as a whole, and whether the ref "appeared to favour us", But I have seen other Brighton posters comment that there was a stonewall penalty we didn't get, in addition to a clear handball against a Brighton player not given and a couple of other clear fouls not given to AFCB.

I had a side on view for the second incident, and it looked more like two players running into each other. It was more of a penaly than thr first 1, but that's hardly saying it was 'stonewall'.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I just remembered we also had a stonewall penalty in the lead up to the goal when one of their players blocked the ball two handed. 'Hoops' certainly doesn't seem to like us very much.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Kinel its worse than i thought , just seen the highlights on seagulls player and the lino gives a corner FFS !! if he can see it why would he not signal the ref and tell him so ? REFEREES ASSISTANT my arse i never want to see that useless tub of lard anywhere near one of our games again .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here