Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Hooper- referee, cheat or just an incompetent buffoon?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He has history as has twice sent off our players in recent times. People say what hard jobs referees have but they get paid decent money yet some don't even seem to have even a basic understanding of football.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I recall a similar inept performance by Simon Hooper last season who has previous with Calderon, having allowed the crowd at Hillsborough to influence him in giving Calde a yellow card and almost a red.

Yet Hooper allowed Sheff Weds to get away with all sorts of crude challenges and gamesmanship. That was the match when Dave Jones and Charlie Oatway had verbals which resulted in a bundle in the dug outs. OK Ashley Barnes had one of his notorious red mists and probably deserved his red card but only after a series of really provocative challenges on him that the Ref failed to act on. Very weak Refereeing was the root cause.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It happens I guess. Didnt Reading score a perfectly good goal against us?

It all evens out across the season.

Disappointing though to lose by a mistake.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I recall a similar inept performance by Simon Hooper last season who has previous with Calderon, having allowed the crowd at Hillsborough to influence him in giving Calde a yellow card and almost a red.

Yet Hooper allowed Sheff Weds to get away with all sorts of crude challenges and gamesmanship. That was the match when Dave Jones and Charlie Oatway had verbals which resulted in a bundle in the dug outs. OK Ashley Barnes had one of his notorious red mists and probably deserved his red card but only after a series of really provocative challenges on him that the Ref failed to act on. Very weak Refereeing was the root cause.

Calde nearly had his leg broken at Hillsborough after Danny Pugh lunged in and Hooper had the audacity to only give a yellow card for a challenge which was at least as bad as Barnes's challenge in the first half which saw him given a red card. This was also the game where we had to take off Spanish Len as Hooper took a dislike to him and then gave him a yellow card when the foul was by the Wednesday player as they both jumped in the air for a ball.

p.s I think that was the last time I saw Vicente play as he replaced Spanish Len who was only a couple of minutes away from a second yellow card being dished out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Calde nearly had his leg broken at Hillsborough after Danny Pugh lunged in and Hooper had the audacity to only give a yellow card for a challenge which was at least as bad as Barnes's challenge in the first half which saw him given a red card. This was also the game where we had to take off Spanish Len as Hooper took a dislike to him and then gave him a yellow card when the foul was by the Wednesday player as they both jumped in the air for a ball.

Yep - I recall that lump Llera went through Ulloa from behind a handful of times and bizarrely then Hooper booked our Leo for a fairly innocuous challenge. I think it was after that Barnes lost his cool and it all kicked off in the dugouts.

Mind you Gus also made some curious changes that day - he took Bridders off and we had a lightweight midfield of Orlandi, Lopez and Vicente none of who were up for a physical battle, knowing Hooper wouldn't protect them and Sheff Weds just bullied us off the park.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
It was never a penalty as Calde clearly won the ball, and from where the referee was standing he couldn't have been 100% sure either way! But the player was going nowhere and calde shouldn't have given the opportunity to the ref to even think about giving the penalty, was a stupid challenge.
I'm sorry, but that is just ridiculous. If a defender believes he can make a challenge from which he can dispossess the opponent fairly, he shouldn't then have to worry about the competence of the referee in deciding whether to make the challenge or not. The player should be able to have to confidence in the referee to make the right decision, because that is what the referee is there to do.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Does anyone know the actual rules about timewasting? Bmuff were doing it from their goal in the 14th minute, and I notice the ref only started geeing them up when the clock struck 80 minutes, presumably so no-one would get more than a yellow card? Very frustrating to watch...

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I look forward to the ref writing a letter of apology to Tony Bloom.

Anyone in any profession that makes such a big mistake, that could cost people their jobs, or in extreme circumstances a business 10s of millions of pounds, should be taken to task.

Any of us making such a mistake in our professions would be made to account for such a mistake.

TB

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yep - I recall that lump Llera went through Ulloa from behind a handful of times and bizarrely then Hooper booked our Leo for a fairly innocuous challenge. I think it was after that Barnes lost his cool and it all kicked off in the dugouts.

Mind you Gus also made some curious changes that day - he took Bridders off and we had a lightweight midfield of Orlandi, Lopez and Vicente none of who were up for a physical battle, knowing Hooper wouldn't protect them and Sheff Weds just bullied us off the park.

Barnes lost it when he was shoved in the back and fell over by the touchline right in front of the linesman. The linesman ignored the infringement and play continued. He got up and immediately made a beeline for the player who fouled him and lunged in to take the ball off him.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It doesn't help that Hooper struts around the pitch like some pompous self important cock. I could put up with that if he was a decent Ref.

Refs are there to enable a game of football, be impartial and not to have undue influence on the outcome, preferably in such a way that we don't even notice him/her being there. Whereas Hooper looks like he wants to be the focal point.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Actual apart from the penalty he was ok but that decision affected the whole game and the Bournemouth keeper and the woodwork are joint man of the match. Come on Brighton we need to get behind the team all the time not just when we are on top. Roll on Saturday FA cup!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Should have booked Francis for the constant fouls on LuaLua in the first half and should have booked LuaLua for the blatant dive in the second. Generally didn't have a grip of the game in the first half after the penalty and didn't get much better in the 2nd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ulloa is getting back into the swing.... Should be fine....

Curious appraisal. If Barnes had missed the chance that Leo wasted at the end of the first half, you'd have been calling for him to be hung.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove

This clown obviously has a dislike for us and should be investigated as to why. Is he homophobic or does he disagree with our influx of foreign connections. I have definately noticed that Calde gets a shit deal with refs and cannot comprehend it,there are lots of examples including the yellow he got against Palace in play off 2nd leg for a harmless tackle on Zaha just before the break,which proved pivotal!He is a tough,competive player but he certainly isnt schnide or dirty. Kick racism out of football!!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Its after these such events that I really wish that the referee assessor's report should be published in the public domain.
The assessor is at the game to report on the ref's performance, if he has a howler, we should all be able to read this.
Won't change the outcome but at least all the fans, players, etc will know that the mistake has been acknowledged.

Time for change?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here