Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Hooper in the premier league

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You don't need to make contact, if the foot is above shoulder height, it's deemed as foul play.

No it's not. It's the same as overhead kicks (which would all be illegal under your interpretation of the law), it's about how safe it is in that moment to raise your foot (regardless of contact).

I've only seen one replay of it, but it seemed like the palace player was not in danger of getting hit in the head - he leaned in toward the ball and by the time his head got to where the leg was, the leg was on the way down. To me, that's safe enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don't need to make contact, if the foot is above shoulder height, it's deemed as foul play.
That's incorrect, otherwise no overhead goals would ever be allowed.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
No it's not. It's the same as overhead kicks (which would all be illegal under your interpretation of the law), it's about how safe it is in that moment to raise your foot (regardless of contact).

I've only seen one replay of it, but it seemed like the palace player was not in danger of getting hit in the head - he leaned in toward the ball and by the time his head got to where the leg was, the leg was on the way down. To me, that's safe enough.

I was replying to Triggaar's post about it not being a foul because Jerome's foot didnt making contact with Ward's head.
I'm fully aware that overhead kicks are legal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was replying to Triggaar's post about it not being a foul because Jerome's foot didnt making contact with Ward's head.
I also said it wasn't close to making contact with anyone. You're aware that they're legal, yet you still posted this:
if the foot is above shoulder height, it's deemed as foul play.
Do you realise you got it wrong?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It's not about overhead kicks not being illegal, that's merely a side issue. It's about your interpretation of the event being a foul just because the foot was above head height, which is as wrong as the suggestion it's not a foul if there's no contact.

The reason it wasn't a foul is because there was no danger to the palace player.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It's not about overhead kicks not being illegal, that's merely a side issue. It's about your interpretation of the event being a foul just because the foot was above head height, which is as wrong as the suggestion it's not a foul if there's no contact.

The reason it wasn't a foul is because there was no danger to the palace player.

Well the linesman and ref deemed it to be dangerous play , so I'd rather stick to their interpretation of the law.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Funny how it's only palace fans that agree with them.

With respect, they didn't have all the replays and different angles that the pundits have at their disposal.
Every decision is now analysed ,but the officials have a split second to call it.
If you raise your foot that high in a crowded box, you risk a foul being called.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With respect, they didn't have all the replays and different angles that the pundits have at their disposal.
Every decision is now analysed ,but the officials have a split second to call it.
If you raise your foot that high in a crowded box, you risk a foul being called.

All those cliches are true, but it doesn't make their decision right. A wrong decision is a wrong decision. It may be an understandable mistake to make, but it is still a mistake.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Yep, I see some of your fans getting carried away already and talking about being in Europe next season and winning a couple of cups this season.They dare call us deluded:ffsparr:

You get that at all clubs, I'm sure you've had a few like that in the last few years !
I'm not getting carried away, priority is safety, anything else is gravy.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
You get that at all clubs, I'm sure you've had a few like that in the last few years !
I'm not getting carried away, priority is safety, anything else is gravy.

Very wise, you need to stay in the Prem to do something about your infrastructure. I see your academy is now in danger of being downgraded again to Cat 3, so serious money needs to spent at the club and not just on players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well the linesman and ref deemed it to be dangerous play , so I'd rather stick to their interpretation of the law.

You're making yourself look a right dick on this thread, tbh. Just accept it was a shocking refereeing display that you were the lucky beneficiaries of.

Cross your fingers that next time you're not on the wrong end of a Hoops performance.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Very wise, you need to stay in the Prem to do something about your infrastructure. I see your academy is now in danger of being downgraded again to Cat 3, so serious money needs to spent at the club and not just on players.

I agree with that, if we stay up again this season, we need to announce plans for Selhurst's re-development .
The academy have moved to a new home ( opposite the training ground) for this season, they need a new base urgently.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I agree with that, if we stay up again this season, we need to announce plans for Selhurst's re-development .
The academy have moved to a new home ( opposite the training ground) for this season, they need a new base urgently.
Are your owners still looking to sell up, as was rumoured? That might delay things in terms of infrastructure.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Are your owners still looking to sell up, as was rumoured? That might delay things in terms of infrastructure.

Im sure if the right people came along, who could invest in the playing side AND the infrastructure, they would be interested.
Parish has stated he would still stay on as chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here