Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Cowell

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think Simon Cowell is a woofter. Hope that helps.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cowell has never had an original idea in his life. He stole the X Factor concept off Simon Fuller in the first place.

I don't people people watching it for a bit of escapism, it's those that take it seriously that worry me.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
i personally really like x factor. Never really understood why people get so angry about it. Its pantomine really. Watch it if you like it dont if you dont, but to get offended by it or state is tv for the uneducated masses is very odd.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
These reality shows are embarrassing and the ones who watch them are even worse...The obsession with celebrity's is just ridiculous.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Whats wrong with the X Factor thread I started on Saturday.
Anyhows this is how I see it.
I quite like X Factor but I much prefer BGT
I watch it because every now and again a really good singer or band comes along like that geezer from Swindon who worked at ASDA or Jonathan the opera singer.
I like the complete idiots that seriously think they can sing.
BUT it is ruined by hiring judges like Mel B and Cole both have Zero talent.
The predictable sob story every week.
The totally hopeless ones that are put through to wind everybody up then go on to make millions as a presenter or joke act.
The best never seem to win.
But it is watchable rubbish in the hope that a new Luther Vandross is going to walk on.

Last edited:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
It's really not as simple as that. The effects of X Factor and it's ill are far more insidious than that. I was amazed this week that at least three of the auditioning males were asked why they wanted to win and said it was so that they wouldn't have to 'try' to get women - this vacuous celebrity looks culture has created the idea that music is merely a route to easy sex with attractive women, and nothing to do with being creative, wanting to entertain people, or be good at what you do. How many of the Cheryl lovers that were shown for contractual reasons on Saturday mentioned anything about talent, they all loved Cheryl because she was 'hot'. Idiocy is breeding fast.

Agreed.
There seems to be this attitude that anyone can perform music irrespective of ability. The idea of an apprenticeship in a musical career is totally alien to most of them. It used to go roughly like this....
1) At mates houses listening to music and having a little practise strumming yourself.
2) Plucking up the courage to invest in an instrument and practising more seriously.
3) Selecting a ' front man ' who either had something about him or a bloody good voice.
4) Playing your first gig. At school or a mates party ( preferably with the mate in the band ) or down the pub or youth club etc.
5) Getting more regular work and getting recognised.
6) Getting a break. Being spotted. Cutting a record.
Timing....up to ten years.....Chances of long term success...5-10%
These programmes are indoctrinating kids and more importantly, seriously unintelligent parents, into thinking that instant fame and fortune are just around the corner. The panel of judges ( none of whom have any pedigree in performing ) heap praise on singers who wouldn't cut it down the local. The whole thing is just revoltingly shallow and naive.

Ta dah. Freaking SPOT ON.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I haven't watched it since the very first one, I really didn't like the way some of the contestants were clearly not the full ticket, and just put up there to be ridiculed for Cowells profit margin. I thought that sort of thing had stopped when Bedlam shut down.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you have half a mind to watch X Factor you will have made ample intellectual provision.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I haven't watched it since the very first one, I really didn't like the way some of the contestants were clearly not the full ticket, and just put up there to be ridiculed for Cowells profit margin. I thought that sort of thing had stopped when Bedlam shut down.

I think that sort of thing has largely dropped off now though. They've already found all the odd ones who think they can sing. Now you get people taking the piss just to get on tv, the judging panel pretending not to know that they're taking the piss, and presumably only a handful of idiots left who still laugh at the poor helpless person who doesn't know they're rubbish.

It does seem that the focus of the show has changed a LOT nowadays - it used to try and give the impression that it was about finding musical talent. It barely seemed to mention music or singing last night, and rather was just about 'characters' who want to be famous via any means. The only musically talented ones left are people who have been talent scouted anyway, which leads one to wonder just how long this sort of show can go on under the pretence of a national talent contest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's really not as simple as that. The effects of X Factor and it's ill are far more insidious than that. I was amazed this week that at least three of the auditioning males were asked why they wanted to win and said it was so that they wouldn't have to 'try' to get women - this vacuous celebrity looks culture has created the idea that music is merely a route to easy sex with attractive women, and nothing to do with being creative, wanting to entertain people, or be good at what you do. How many of the Cheryl lovers that were shown for contractual reasons on Saturday mentioned anything about talent, they all loved Cheryl because she was 'hot'. Idiocy is breeding fast.

But don't you think comments like that make them look stupid and shallow in the eyes of the viewers?

Agreed.
There seems to be this attitude that anyone can perform music irrespective of ability. The idea of an apprenticeship in a musical career is totally alien to most of them. It used to go roughly like this....
1) At mates houses listening to music and having a little practise strumming yourself.
2) Plucking up the courage to invest in an instrument and practising more seriously.
3) Selecting a ' front man ' who either had something about him or a bloody good voice.
4) Playing your first gig. At school or a mates party ( preferably with the mate in the band ) or down the pub or youth club etc.
5) Getting more regular work and getting recognised.
6) Getting a break. Being spotted. Cutting a record.
Timing....up to ten years.....Chances of long term success...5-10%
These programmes are indoctrinating kids and more importantly, seriously unintelligent parents, into thinking that instant fame and fortune are just around the corner. The panel of judges ( none of whom have any pedigree in performing ) heap praise on singers who wouldn't cut it down the local. The whole thing is just revoltingly shallow and naive.

Sorry, but there have always been groups that have been put together to make money. Look at the Monkees for example. Also, surely you accept that the vast majority of bands around now have come through the apprenticeship as you describe.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
He was crap, like all the other acts they rave over. The talent pool is EMPTY and the XF is just a pseudo reality drama show now, nobody goes onto be an international superstar

There is plenty of talent about it just doesn't choose to be on that shite.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is what it is. It is a money making vehicle for Simon Cowell. There are a lot of dumb wannabees on these types of shows who very soon get put in their place. I quite enjoy some of the auditions but can't stand the live tv shows and voting so don't bother.

However, you can't deny that some people have fulfilled their dreams by being on the show and similar. Leona Lewis is the obvious one but then you can look at Shayne Ward who had been starring in the West End and who can forget Darius who did have a number one single and has also starred in the West End. Will Young won Fame Academy and has had a long career out of music. What we can't say is whether they would have achieved any of this without the 'talent' shows!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Speaking of Simon Cowell, he donated a load to the Manchester dog home, and he's sending the two blokes who saved the dogs on an all inclusive holiday. Nice touch from him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here