Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
According to Argus today...

Slade targets top six on similar budget

8:10am Wednesday 20th May 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
By Andy Naylor »

Boss Russell Slade believes he can turn Albion from relegation candidates into promotion challengers – with a similar budget to last season.

Most of the estimated £80million new chairman Tony Bloom has pumped into the club is for the Falmer Stadium.

There should, however, be scope for some significant signings after last week’s mass clearout of players out of contract.

The playing budget for Slade’s first full campaign with the Seagulls in League One will be finalised once Bloom returns later this week from a business trip in the West Country.

Slade said: “It is probably going to be similar to last season. We have not nailed down the exact figure.

“It still gives us the flexibility, in my opinion, to be pushing into the top six.

“The signings we make will be absolutely vital and we are working very hard behind the scenes to make sure we bring the right type of player to the club.

“In some areas of the team there is major surgery needed, particularly in midfield.

“We are spinning plates – that’s all you can do at this stage. It is not easy with players and managers away.

“You are negotiating and talking to agents and third parties but that is part of the job.

“That is what it is like during the close season and I am going to enjoy putting a squad together.”

Of the 16 players whose contracts expire next month, only Andrew Whing and Gary Hart have been offered new deals.

Several others still under contract are likely to leave too and, with Bloom’s interest-free and unsecured loans securing the £93 million stadium project, Slade is targeting some quality signings.

He said: “I could only dream about bringing certain players into Yeovil and Grimsby. Here it could be a reality – that’s the difference.

“We can be more competitive in terms of bringing quality players to the club and players will be thrilled to know that in two years they will be playing in a spanking new stadium.”

Two possible signings already identified are Arsenal duo Kyle Bartley, a centre-back, and striker Rhys Murphy, who comes from Lancing, on long-term loan deals.

Albion will be up against relegated trio Southampton, Charlton and Norwich – who were all playing in the Premier League only four years ago – as well as Leeds and MK Dons after they both missed out on promotion in the play-offs.

Slade said: “It is going to be a tough league and I think it’s getting stronger. “However, I just feel that we have to use the momentum from the end of last season and carry that forward with one or two key signings, then I am sure we can be a force.

"It's going to take a lot of hard work. It's not going to be easy but it's achievable."

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Certainly don't see it as a negative. There is a really good interview with RS on the Argus website as well.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The key is in the amount of players we let go at the end of the season.

We might have the same budget as last season, but we haven't retained as many players and so hopefully that means we actually have more to spend now than we did this time last season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We had a massive budget last year, we signed TWENTY-SIX players.

Hopefully we can concentrate that on 5/6 proper quality ones and make a go of things. Think we are going to see a lot of "undisclosed fees" this year

Exactly. Adams SPUNKED money up the wall. I bet Slade is rubbing his hands.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We had a massive budget last year, we signed TWENTY-SIX players.

Hopefully we can concentrate that on 5/6 proper quality ones and make a go of things. Think we are going to see a lot of "undisclosed fees" this year

I would be more than happy with that number of quality signings. I think a smaller squad would do us a lot of good next season, maybe we can have some continuity for a change and actually get a TEAM together rather than a loosely assembled collection of individuals.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I wouldn’t be surprised if we had one of the highest wage budgets in the division last year, certainly higher than Millwall and Scunthorpe who both, obviously made good progress. Slade has done well at ‘small’ clubs with little or no money and no ambition, I am confident he can vastly improve on last seasons crap.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Of course not. Slade has already stated in an earlier interview that Murray is a key member of the squad, a player to build the team around. He's not going anywhere.

Adding to that, Bloom really likes murray hence why he payed for his transfer.:yahoo:
As for the interview I still dont think he is giving much away, and rightly so its none of our beeswax is it really:ascarf:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think its also saying to other clubs that we are not the league one Putin. Which i dont think we are.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You'd think with loan players they are going to be wanted to play most weeks by their clubs, yet the two Arsenal lads are probably in our strongest positions?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If we are indeed to bring in some Arsenal youngsters, I'm hoping we get someone like Henri Lansbury in midfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here