Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sima

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We know the implications up front of signing players from Africa, Asia and Americas for these tournaments so no complaints. However I have wondered for a while how/why FIFA allow CAF to hold AFCON every 2 years?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We know the implications up front of signing players from Africa, Asia and Americas for these tournaments so no complaints. However I have wondered for a while how/why FIFA allow CAF to hold AFCON every 2 years?
No other reasons than money. Same as the Club Championship insanity and the 48 team World Cup.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
As I understood it, there was an agreement reached in 2017 that AFCON would be played in the Northern Hemisphere summer. I believe the 2025 tournament in Morocco is scheduled for July/August.

The 2023 iteration was moved to Jan 2024 because, having awarded the tournament to The Ivory Coast, there was a sudden realisation that a July tournament would be smack dab in the middle of the country's (torrential) rainy season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No other reasons than money. Same as the Club Championship insanity and the 48 team World Cup.

You are correct it is for monetary reasons but the CAF claim they can’t expand and improve football in Africa if it was only played every 4 years. Apparently the tournament as a whole earns about 20 times less than the Euros. FIFA have tried putting it to every 4 years citing that there is no evidence of it helping African football improve but somehow CAF have managed to stop this happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here