Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Silly Season Food Arguments - Part I - Breakfasts

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From the BBC good food guide

How much bacon is safe to eat?​

The current advice from the NHS recommends that if you currently eat more than 90g (cooked weight) of red and processed meats a day, you should cut it down to 70g a day. This is equivalent to two or three rashers of bacon or a little over two slices of roast lamb, beef or pork (with each about the size of half a slice of bread). In light of the more recent evidence, it's best to reduce your intake of all processed meats to once every couple of weeks. Therefore, keeping your bacon intake to a minimum is recommended – eating it every couple of weeks is best.

I only eat bacon once every few months so it sounds like a need to up my consumption. Thanks for the tip 🐷

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
When I still lived in Brighton in the early 90’s I remember the gut buster- I couldn’t do that now !!!

My favourite go-to for a large fried breakfast was The Elm Grove Cafe but I do remember for a time having great breakfasts in The Dumb Waiter

First thought when I saw this thread though was definitely The Elm Grove ✅
ELM Grove Cafe was brilliant (complete with Sam Fox posters on the wall if I remember rightly).

Dumb waiter was also brilliant, sausages to die for. And all served my pretty alt dreadlocked servers.

For an upmarket feast, Harry's somewhere near Palmeria Square was also excellent (although far pricier than the others).

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Australia has Spinach involved in this discussion. That took a while to get used to, I can tell you.

Also noone in this country knows how to cook a flipping egg. I often get scrambled eggs when I go out because a running white is gross 🤢

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
While at home I like to make extra roast potatoes with my roast so I can fry a few the next day with a fry up. This rarely coinsides correctly so is a real treat.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m gonna throw a grenade in the room before I power down for the night….

I am partial to a Wetherspoons breakfast.

I understand all the arguments against. Idealistic Clamp wouldn’t set foot in a spoons but the heart wants what the heart wants and I endorse a Spoons fry up.
Cheap, plentiful, reliable and perfectly tasty. IMO.

👍

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
@Stat Brother - that's a good looking benedict (although some would argue about the use of bacon over ham). Where in our fine county is this served?
I do have to request the swap - their choice of ham is a touch lacking and well it's bacon.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It means my mistake but presumably you knew that anyway.

I love tomatoes but can take them or leave them when it comes to a fry up. Black pudding is inarguably delicious though and if you're going all out, an essential ingredient in a full English. How can anyone that has tried it not like black pudding?

Wouldn't a Full Welsh have laverbread?
I have not tried black pudding and never will. Looks revolting. No place on a breakfast plate.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
1 tin Baked beans
4 x sausages
3 x eggs
3 x hash browns
2 x toast
1 slice fried bread

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
@Stat Brother - that's a good looking benedict (although some would argue about the use of bacon over ham). Where in our fine county is this served?

Used to go there 20 years ago with colleagues when I worked in Horsham and it was always good value for money. Proper builders tea served out of a giant urn. I guess the old boy who used to run it is long gone but it still looks popular when I drive past. @Cowfold Seagull may be able to update as it is in his patch.

Nothing like using black pudding to spread on the bread as part of a bacon sandwich - you really should try it.
The chalet cafe still very much alive and a popular venue for bikers.
Scotch eggs with black pudding inside instead of “pork”. Now there’s a treat. I had these in a pub/restaurant out near Gatwick.
I’m struggling to remember the name. The Fox Revived?

Anyway, plenty of places do it and it is sublime.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bubble & squeak or just fried mash
eggs, poached.
ham, or bacon
mushrooms, sauted in garlic and butter
chopped or plum toms from a tin ( sans juice )

If I ever go to a cafe I'll often order an omlette over a fry up . . .

baked beans can do one, and black pudding.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Slightly confusing premise here.

Some seem to be arguing about what constitutes a classic (Full?) English breakfast.

Some are sharing their favorite fry up (much looser definition imho).

Some are just mentioning avocado to get a rise.

My take:

Classic English breakfast: bacon, sausage, tomato, fried egg, mushrooms, toast or fried slice. Mug (or pot) of tea.

Fry up variations (most of which are historically based on frugality and eating left overs I suspect): black pudding, bubble and squeak (or regional variant), baked beans, variants on fried egg.

My favorite: Classic English plus bubble and beans. Toast and fried slice please. I could quite easily lose the tomato. I do like a decent banger though not pink puree in a plastic sleeve.

I never have this at home. The joy is negated by the faff and the fact that I can't bring myself to use the right amount of fat. I do love a full English when I'm staying at a hotel though. And if you find a good greasy spoon, heaven.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Eggs fried, bacon, sausage, fried bread (which is an endangered species) Mushrooms and toms (to make it healthy!) Toast any colour. Also I would go for beans, Black pudding is for Northerners from places like Yorkshire! Wales has to be lavabread, which is disgusting, the lavabread not Wales.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Scotch eggs with black pudding inside instead of “pork”. Now there’s a treat. I had these in a pub/restaurant out near Gatwick.
I’m struggling to remember the name. The Fox Revived?

Anyway, plenty of places do it and it is sublime.

I've made black pudding scotch eggs before and very good they were too. Hard to beat a homemade scotch egg with a runny yolk.

You'd need a very strong whisk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Set4 normally comes up trumps wherever you are!

English Breakfast preference

Sausage
Bacon
Eggs
Beans
Mushrooms
Fried slice
Toast
Tea

+ Variation
Hashbrowns - no issues what so ever

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously nothing beats a Bacon & Egg McMuffin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here