Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Silly Season Food Arguments - Part I - Breakfasts

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
…a lot of disagreement as to what constitutes an ENGLISH breakfast, IMO, stems from confusion with American, Irish and everything in between.

Hence arguments over whether baked beans, hash brown etc belong. Actually they don’t, because those are other nationalities take on.

Really, ENGLISH is very simple. It’s:
Bacon
Egg
Tomato
Black pudding
Maybe a sausage as well
accompanied by tea and toast.

Job done. Oh, and HP sauce or even mustard (Colmans obviously) if a condiment is desired.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Two cafes in Shoreham yesterday did not have English breakfasts on their menus anymore! The third one we went into, two English breakfasts and 2 flat whites came to £29.60 !

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Baked beans in a little pot is always offered with an English breakfast. Also mushrooms.
By the way a Welsh breakfast is exactly the same an an English so the first word refers to where you buy rather than the contents. Personally I detest tomatoes and black pudding so the rest of it more than suffices.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My other breakfast if I've recently had a fry up:-

IMG_20230521_092926_700.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
By the way a Welsh breakfast is exactly the same an an English so the first word refers to where you buy rather than the contents. Personally I detest tomatoes and black pudding so the rest of it more than suffices.
My local has so many people - rightly - asking NOT to include baked beans, they’ve taken off the menu.

A victory for common sense and heritage. Boot it back over to the US of A where it belongs.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Your bad what ?

It means my mistake but presumably you knew that anyway.

Baked beans in a little pot is always offered with an English breakfast. Also mushrooms.

I love tomatoes but can take them or leave them when it comes to a fry up. Black pudding is inarguably delicious though and if you're going all out, an essential ingredient in a full English. How can anyone that has tried it not like black pudding?

Wouldn't a Full Welsh have laverbread?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Obviously coffee and fresh orange juice.

Traditional for me would be bubble and squeak, fried egg, sausage, bacon, black pudding (preferably Stornoway or Clonakilty), toast. Mushrooms may be added on request.

Although recently I have found myself increasingly eating eggs benedict, on occasion smoked haddock and poached egg and even the occasional kedgeree :drool:

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For me, bubble and squeak, fried egg, sausage, bacon, black pudding, toast. Mushrooms may be added on request.

Although recently I have found myself increasingly eating eggs benedict :drool:
Actually, that’s a good shout re: bubble and squeak. It might be a bit too much on the plate but is definitely ahead of a hash brown. Hash browns, which I do like, don’t belong on a truly English plate. Might as well include guava fruit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
enjoyed the opening post, setting out the case for definitive English breakfast and making sausage optional, missing mushroom and beans. :facepalm: :lolol:

this is why we have the English breakfast and Full English, because nothing is left out in the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here