Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sidwell and Skalak are having a nightmare.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Skalak much better second half and proving why he needs to be on the pitch. Top class delivery of the ball again.

To be fair to the post, both players did look quite average in the first half, but then so did the team -it must have been about 30 minutes, or at least when the goal went in, that the Forest keeper was actually tested. The second half was then much better, and once the second goal went in, they showed their class. AK sensational. And we have not bought anyone yet, with 3 still to come back fully from injury. Stockers -surely the curse of last season is not going to strike again?
Rotherham -absolutely vital that the team approaches this game with the right attitude; the opposition will presumably pack their defence, and for 30 minutes or so last night, the team did struggle to find their way through.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Embarassing thread. Nightmare was harsh anyway but to start a new thread, rather than comment on the matchday thread, is embarassing

It is really. But at half-time we all said the same and I would have added Hemed as well.

Skalak did improve in the second half, but personally I would have had KLL starting after Tuesday night.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
To be fair to the post, both players did look quite average in the first half, but then so did the team -it must have been about 30 minutes, or at least when the goal went in, that the Forest keeper was actually tested. The second half was then much better, and once the second goal went in, they showed their class. AK sensational. And we have not bought anyone yet, with 3 still to come back fully from injury. Stockers -surely the curse of last season is not going to strike again?
Rotherham -absolutely vital that the team approaches this game with the right attitude; the opposition will presumably pack their defence, and for 30 minutes or so last night, the team did struggle to find their way through.

Indeed. First half was poor but I think they were surprised by Forest's setup. Second Half was much better and it felt that they were just carrying on from where they left off last season, which is great news. What I liked most was that CH stuck to the same team for the second half and trusted them to get the job done, which they did, emphatically in the end. This all bodes very well. Fingers crossed that the injury curse does not strike again.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Hope they're replaced at half time.

Sidwell dawdled a bit in the first half, Skalak got the ball in good areas but didn't create. Hughton/Calderwood obviously fired some into them at half time because second half they were different players. They improved when the tempo was upped.
Great management IMO.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You would have looked a right penis if that header had gone in

Shouldn't that have said "left penis" since it is left handers day?

I've never had two so I wouldn't know.

Although I have been accused of having being too much penis.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with the OP. In the first half both players were having nightmares including Sidwell's pass directly to a Forest player almost in front of our goal. Big improvement by both in the second half.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Personally I was delighted with how we played in midfield last night. It wasn't a great start but as soon as we settled we absolutely bossed the game and without Stephens and Norwood for the majority. If that is a sign of things to come then we are once again going to be very hard to beat this season.

Skalak looks like an odd player from what I've seen of him. He goes from the sublime to the ridiculous sometimes in the same passage of play. Last night I thought he had an ok game and it was very entertaining to watch the battle between him and their dreadlocked full back. As others have said on this thread he's prepared to give a bit which is needed at times.

Sidwell you know what you are going to get from him. He's never going to be a player that sets the world alight but he does what is needed of him quite often under the radar.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Sidwell you know what you are going to get from him. He's never going to be a player that sets the world alight but he does what is needed of him quite often under the radar.

I agree but last night he made many sloppy errors that had us under big problems with their midfield breaking and if Forest had been any good we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dreadful thread. Skalak was excellent in the second half and needs to fill in at times in the games because Bong is very attacking and tends to go walkies. Was instrumental in first two goals, did exactly what the team needed, wound Periera up an absolute treat and contributed the best piece of technique in the whole match.

Sidwell was ok. Couple of bad passes but otherwise fine. No dramas.

In other news we won 3-0 without really getting out of second gear (except Knocky who only seems to have fifth gear).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Personally I was delighted with how we played in midfield last night. It wasn't a great start but as soon as we settled we absolutely bossed the game and without Stephens and Norwood for the majority. If that is a sign of things to come then we are once again going to be very hard to beat this season.

Skalak looks like an odd player from what I've seen of him. He goes from the sublime to the ridiculous sometimes in the same passage of play. Last night I thought he had an ok game and it was very entertaining to watch the battle between him and their dreadlocked full back. As others have said on this thread he's prepared to give a bit which is needed at times.

Excellent summary. Skalak is frustrating but you know he can and will deliver great crosses. His play last night was reminiscent of KLL's on Tuesday, almost anonymous for 50 minutes and then kapow - he can turn a game.

Sidwell didn't have a great game it's true but you're right - every club needs a player like him - in the past we've had the likes Hammond and Crofts and we've looked a better balanced side for it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Great moment in the North West corner of the pitch when Forest number 17 with long hair ( can't spell that name ) went to sheild the ball to run it out for a goal kick, Skalak just shoved him over with both hands. :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Great moment in the North West corner of the pitch when Forest number 17 with long hair ( can't spell that name ) went to sheild the ball to run it out for a goal kick, Skalak just shoved him over with both hands. :)

Ironic that after you put (can't spell that name), you went on to misspell 'shield' just three words later:)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Skalak should have been sent off for an absolutely shocking challenge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here