[Football] Sick/Abusive ‘Munich’ chanting

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The term ManU is a reference to the plane crash, implying that if Man United was written on the plane the end of it was blown off just leaving ManU
I've referred to ManUre as Manure on here for years, so felt temporarily guilty despite having no idea of the purported link to the disaster. However, as it appears that someone has decided that there would be a theoretical issue in certain circumstances, I'm not impressed so will carry on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Depends how far you want to go… the term “Man- ure” stems directly from the Munich disaster but is seen on these pages regularly
What a load of utter bollocks.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
More fool the bloke who did it . Rocks for brains if think can even voice things like this even if it is banter .

Can’t believe anyone really gets upset by what’s said and now he will lose his job and face a ban . Should of just stuck to doing wank signs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I see the Police have made an arrest.

Further evidence if ever it was needed to not act like a dick at the football. If you do, it’s highly likely to be posted on the internet and the police will come knocking.

BBC reporting he was actually arrested at the game and has now been charged with a public order offence.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
1 sickhead in a crowd of 70k+ is pretty good going actually

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
The term “ManUre” originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave.”

The term ManU is a reference to the plane crash, implying that if Man United was written on the plane the end of it was blown off just leaving ManU

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The term “ManUre” originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave.”

The internet is great isn't it?

For whatever reason, in recent years the idea that referring to United as Man U has something to do with insulting us over Munich has gathered momentum. There’s been one too many misinformed United fans claiming that people who use the term are trying to use it derogatorily.

Some of this stems from the fact that some rival fans call United ManUre in a p*ss poor attempt at humour via a bit of divergent spelling. This is totally different from the term Man U however which is actually used by some United fans. Just recently Danny Simpson tweeted how upon Neville’s retirement he was grateful for the help he’d given him during his time at ‘Man U.’ Was Simpson raising the specter of Munich with an evil tweet? No. He , like many others has probably never heard of the Man U myth and a myth is exactly what it is.

Tom Clare author of the superb book ‘Forever a Babe Growing up with Manchester United’ explains the origins of the two different terms as merely a product of slightly lazy journalism when reporters had to be as succinct as possible with every story they filed.

To quote Clare: “Even Big Ron used the term ‘Man U’ when he was manager of United” Now Atkinson may be prone to the odd bit of foot in his mouth, but he was hardly likely to be desecrating the memory of the Munich victims every time he spoke about his employers.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I've googled it. The first reference is from a Liverpool forum saying he had never heard of it, but a Man U fan had a go at him about it and suggested he should apologise.

The second reference is you quoting that first reference on NSC. On that basis, I'm calling :shit:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don’t think using the term “manure” is offensive but it’s pretty pathetic, isn’t it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But do you like aimed to offend nicknames for Liverpool or Scousers?
I think it’s a bit pathetic whoever it is TBH, whether it’s “bin dippers”, “chavs”, “Citeh” or any of the others. I prefer to use the catch all term “****s”.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it’s a bit pathetic whoever it is TBH, whether it’s “bin dippers”, “chavs”, “Citeh” or any of the others. I prefer to use the catch all term “****s”.

I can see where you're coming from but personally prefer to reserve the term c***s for Boris Johnson, Piers Morgan, Jim Davidson, Nigel Farage, Katie Hopkins etc etc (I could go on and on and .....) :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can see where you're coming from but personally prefer to reserve the term c***s for Boris Johnson, Piers Morgan, Jim Davidson, Nigel Farage, Katie Hopkins etc etc (I could go on and on and .....) :wink:

Some overlap with mine …. Farage, Morgan, Putin, Le Tissier, Icke, Trump, Corden, Bannon.

[Money/fame chasing conspiracy theorists aren’t harmless … they cause people/kids not to take vital vaccines and have to a tendency to deny the deeds of fascists carrying out genocide, spreading lies].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports