[Football] Sick/Abusive ‘Munich’ chanting

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

No doubt he will be tracked down and banned but bearing in mind he’s singing about something 66 years ago, there will be another opposing fan or fans doing it at the next United game.

On the flipside, wasn’t it last years Cup Final that the United fan got nicked for the sick Hillsborough shirt?

And whilst not in the realms of Munich or Hillsborough the Lewis Dunk ditty the Palace lot trawl out every ‘Derby’, is actually quite offensive, and must be quite upsetting for the Dunk family sitting in the stands so should we eject the Ultras, or at least those singing, en masse at the next fixture?

Will it ever be stopped? Or even can it be stopped? 🤷‍♂️

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Depends how far you want to go… the term “Man- ure” stems directly from the Munich disaster but is seen on these pages regularly

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not realised it had connotations with a Munich chant until I googled it.
I have read it before on the internet, and dismissed it as total nonsense.
You can get a measure of how ridiculous this is from how the actual claim isn't that "Manure" is offensive, it's calling them "Man U" that we're all meant to avoid.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Even more offensive than current chants if true, as this would have been not long after the disaster. Sick

The term “ManUre” originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave.”

• Wow
Reactions: A1X

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I have read it before on the internet, and dismissed it as total nonsense.
You can get a measure of how ridiculous this is from how the actual claim isn't that "Manure" is offensive, it's calling them "Man U" that we're all meant to avoid.
Thanks for clearing that up.
So it was not West Brom fans singing Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave?
The internet, it’s a tricky place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even more offensive than current chants if true, as this would have been not long after the disaster. Sick

The term “ManUre” originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave.”
It's on the internet so it must be right, yeh? Yeh, right......................

I'm calling bollocks on this. Duncan Edwards was - and still is - revered in the Black Country.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Southampton fans still get it about the Titanic, although the media tend to ignore it because it's not deemed sexy enough, but it still hurts to hear it surely:
"Always look 370 nautical miles off the coast of Newfoundland for ice"

Despicable.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It's on the internet so it must be right, yeh? Yeh, right......................

I'm calling bollocks on this. Duncan Edwards was - and still is - revered in the Black Country.

True, but some sick bastard thought it up

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Thanks for clearing that up.
So it was not West Brom fans singing Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave?
The internet, it’s a tricky place.
I've no idea about the truth or otherwise of that, but the articles I've read invariably seem to have been written by people from London in their mid-20s. And although they mention the song the claim is that "Man U" is offensive in itself (I guess calling them Manure is self evidently offensive anyway).
Frequently these articles or posts have comments underneath to the effect "wow, I was born in Salford and supported United all my life and never realised this!" :facepalm:

For the avoidance of doubt, I obviously agree that chants or songs that are actually about Munich or any other disaster are despicable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No doubt he will be tracked down and banned but bearing in mind he’s singing about something 66 years ago, there will be another opposing fan or fans doing it at the next United game.

On the flipside, wasn’t it last years Cup Final that the United fan got nicked for the sick Hillsborough shirt?

And whilst not in the realms of Munich or Hillsborough the Lewis Dunk ditty the Palace lot trawl out every ‘Derby’, is actually quite offensive, and must be quite upsetting for the Dunk family sitting in the stands so should we eject the Ultras, or at least those singing, en masse at the next fixture?

Will it ever be stopped? Or even can it be stopped? 🤷‍♂️
Things change, slowly.

The fact you can raise it on NSC and not be slapped down for getting worked up over 'bantz' is a singe of improvement in society.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Depends how far you want to go… the term “Man- ure” stems directly from the Munich disaster but is seen on these pages regularly
Please explain. What has the ure got to do with Munich. I always assumed it simply means United are shit :shrug:

Manure
Stains
Palarse
Bumley etc.
Childish, but . . .I am :shrug:

Happy to be schooled of course. Let me have it, then....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Southampton fans still get it about the Titanic, although the media tend to ignore it because it's not deemed sexy enough, but it still hurts to hear it surely:
"Always look 370 nautical miles off the coast of Newfoundland for ice"

Despicable.
You just made that up.

It doesn't even scan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports