Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sick/Abusive ‘Munich’ chanting

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When the Cadbury factory laid off hundreds of locals in Birkenhead, the Tranmere fans were cruelly mocked for their misfortune by visiting fans from Southport:

You've no job, you've no job,
That taste, it always lingers
In your hand, not twenty grand
Just Cadbury's chocolate fingers

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Munich / Hillsborough / other tragedies is all you have to sing about then it reflects pretty pathetically on your fan base TBH

Mind you I’ve never been fully on board with us singing “burnt your own town” at Palace

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sadly the more the media go on about it the more likely it will happen.

Frankly, we've got more important things to worry about than a few fans goading about a tragedy generations ago

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
You just made that up.

It doesn't even scan.
Southampton fans still get it about the Titanic, although the media tend to ignore it because it's not deemed sexy enough, but it still hurts to hear it surely:
"Always look 370 nautical miles off the coast of Newfoundland for ice"

Despicable.

I’ve heard this chant along with the usual “Leonardo DiCaprio, he’s a w*nker” aimed at the Southampton fans.

It’s just hurtful.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Are England fans still singing anti- IRA and anti- German songs on away trips?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve heard this chant along with the usual “Leonardo DiCaprio, he’s a w*nker” aimed at the Southampton fans.

It’s just hurtful.
Fair enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It’s just hurtful.
The more I think about it the more I feel I've been whooshed. By a strong westerly up the Solent.

Next you'll tell me that Pompey fans used to tragedy chant Brighton about Lawrence Olivier and Beryl Reed (and their sordid love triangle in Sussex Square).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Depends how far you want to go… the term “Man- ure” stems directly from the Munich disaster but is seen on these pages regularly
No its manure. You know. Animal excretions

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
What absolute horse shit.
The term “ManUre” originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave.”

The term ManU is a reference to the plane crash, implying that if Man United was written on the plane the end of it was blown off just leaving ManU

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If Munich / Hillsborough / other tragedies is all you have to sing about then it reflects pretty pathetically on your fan base TBH

Mind you I’ve never been fully on board with us singing “burnt your own town” at Palace
Pretty mild tho compared to "go get your father's gun etc". Still, it's all just bantz eh? :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The term “ManUre” originated from chants about Duncan Edwards by West Brom fans following the Munich Air Disaster. “Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, Man U are manure, rotting in their grave.”

The term ManU is a reference to the plane crash, implying that if Man United was written on the plane the end of it was blown off just leaving ManU
Speaking of manure... you're full of shit

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

What you're saying may be true, or may be not, but I say with confidence not one single person on here is referring to that tragedy.

It's just a way of trashing a dis-likeable club

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Will it ever be stopped? Or even can it be stopped? 🤷‍♂️
It can be stopped.

Racism, is not gone, but compared to 30 years ago it's vastly reduced. As is homophobia and misogyny.

Clear messaging, clear consequences and making an example of one of two people are the first steps

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The more I think about it the more I feel I've been whooshed. By a strong westerly up the Solent.

Next you'll tell me that Pompey fans used to tragedy chant Brighton about Lawrence Olivier and Beryl Reed (and their sordid love triangle in Sussex Square).
That's okay, I just draw the line at the chanting about the French burning of Brighthelmstone in 1514.

Anyway, all this required context and being sensible- something some folk seem to struggle with. The modern 'Manure' probably started independent of the old version.

'Tragedy chanting' was a norm back in the day. But there is no reason why not to put a stop to it as so few engage in it. And those that do know about it so only have themselves to blame. I wonder if it's the marching powder at work again.

For me, one of the reasons football is so well attended these days is because all this type of behaviour, as well as the aggression, has been stamped down upon. So that's a good thing. There must only be a relatively small fraction who can't deal with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here