[Travel] Should you give up your pre booked seat on an aircraft so families can sit together?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should you give up your pre booked seat on an aircraft so families can sit together?

• Yes, yes of course I would

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Nope, I'd dig my heels in and refuse

Votes: 58 26.2%
  • I don't like confrontation so I'd move

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • I'd only move under exceptional circumstances

Votes: 96 43.4%
  • I never fly

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I said before, it’s mainly natural talent. I can’t explain this. If I could, I’d bottle it and sell it. :shrug:
I do get what you’re saying, I find that first impressions are more often right than not. There are exceptions though

It used to be if someone had a beard - dodgy

You can tell the class of someone by the shoes they wear

Don’t trust anyone who wears brown shoes with blue trousers

All have gone out of the window in the 21st century though, if they were ever true

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I wouldn't. I'm tall as F and always book the extra leg room seats, usually in the aisle so I can stand up easily if needed. Don't think it would ever be an issue anyway as (I don't believe) young kids aren't allowed in exit rows.

Only situation where I might is if it was within the same row (or a further forward exit row), and I swapped into another aisle seat. Wouldn't move towards the back or into a middle / window seat.

Effectively, if you can afford a flight, you can afford to pay for your own seat.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If they are nice about it YES, its tough for young families going overseas and allocated seating is ££

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
The airlines tell you the exact date and time that seat reservations/check in become available, so all you need to do is make a note in your diary or set an alarm and make sure you log in then.

It's the only way to make sure you and your child/family are together. It makes no sense to leave it until you arrive at the airport. And you don't need the whole family to sit together, as long as there is one parent per child or group of children.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do get what you’re saying, I find that first impressions are more often right than not. There are exceptions though

It used to be if someone had a beard - dodgy

You can tell the class of someone by the shoes they wear

Don’t trust anyone who wears brown shoes with blue trousers

All have gone out of the window in the 21st century though, if they were ever true
…..and if they’re wearing a hat they’ve definitely got something to hide.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If I was travelling alone and it wasn’t a “downgraded” seat then I would move. But, if I was travelling alone I wouldn’t ordinarily pre book a seat and I would have thought the cabin staff could ask you to move with a sweetener of a free drink/ coffee etc in the first instance. More importantly, if I had to move seats, who the f xxx would fly the plane?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Taking a step back from the particular situation, I don't really see why any child under 12 should be taken on a plane anywhere.
Most of my childhood holidays were in the North East and Yorkshire and it never did me any harm.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
:wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Feel sorry for the flight attendants now other this situation
I feel sorry for them in general. They get a lot of really uneccessary abuse. I have said on here before I once offered to be a witness for a stewardess who was accused of being rude and aggressive by some twat of a punter who was refusing to put a bag in an overhead locker. The crap, rudeness, sarcasm, belittling she had to endure was quite shocking.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I feel sorry for them in general. They get a lot of really uneccessary abuse. I have said on here before I once offered to be a witness for a stewardess who was accused of being rude and aggressive by some twat of a punter who was refusing to put a bag in an overhead locker. The crap, rudeness, sarcasm, belittling she had to endure was quite shocking.
Totally agree. But they do have ways of getting revenge. I know of two ex attendants who specifically told me never to allow ice to be served in my drink with a serving tong , as that tends to be the go to tool to break up, how do say in German , super turd?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
It's a no from me i'm afraid . Got moved from a seat a couple of years ago as 2 girls in the opposite aisle were alergic to Newspaper print ,i ask you . Ended having to move because it was going to end up messy . 3.5 hours in my new seat with a kid in front moaning and crying the whole flight . Never again EVER.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm with the majority.

Book with the airline - If you have a family, pony up if you have to, to sit together.
If anyone sits in your seat, turf them out unless there is extenuating circumstances.

As someone who is 16 stone and 6ft 3, I appreciate my methodology of resolving this, isn't for everyone, as I'd imagine people wouldn't start on me if I gave them a look despite the fact I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The airlines tell you the exact date and time that seat reservations/check in become available, so all you need to do is make a note in your diary or set an alarm and make sure you log in then.

It's the only way to make sure you and your child/family are together. It makes no sense to leave it until you arrive at the airport. And you don't need the whole family to sit together, as long as there is one parent per child or group of children.
But what if the family dont want to go to the effort of reserving seats and instead want people to move out of their booked seats to accommodate them?
Have you not considered that the family may think they are more important than you because they have children?
#selfish

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No. I like a window seat.

If people wish to sit together, pay extra when you book to get the seats you want.

I do agree with this. If you have been extra for a certain seat than you shouldn't have to give up your seat like a charitable donation to a family need just so they can feel content. Unless they are emotionally dependent children, check that, tell the kid to grow up. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports