Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Should you give up your pre booked seat on an aircraft so families can sit together?

Should you give up your pre booked seat on an aircraft so families can sit together?

• Yes, yes of course I would

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Nope, I'd dig my heels in and refuse

Votes: 58 26.2%
  • I don't like confrontation so I'd move

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • I'd only move under exceptional circumstances

Votes: 96 43.4%
  • I never fly

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.7%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seen a few articles about this recently, what are your thoughts?

Of course there will be exceptions due to families being bumped off an earlier flight or emergency trips but in the main would you willingly give up your seat for a family who couldn't afford pre seating or were just too bloody idle to do it and work on the basis that others will need to move to accommodate them?

I wouldn't, I don't like flying and always pre book a window seat to avoid being disturbed by other passengers going to the loo or for a walkabout

In fact unless there were extraordinary circumstances I'd refuse and put up a fight about it, why should I be inconvenienced because a family haven't planned things properly. If you want to be guaranteed to be seated together, pay the supplement and pre book :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No I wouldn’t. I get tendinitis quite easily in my left leg and hate anything with constricted leg room. I’ll either book an emergency exit or aisle seat for this reason. Once I’ve paid for it then it’s mine.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I would if it didn’t massively inconvenience me, I think it’s pretty outrageous that families have to pay extra to sit together.
Everybody except Premium flyer members or people who pay a big supplement on scheduled changeable flights have to pay for a seat if they want a choice unless they wait until 24 hours before departure. In that case you are taking a chance. Why is it outrageous for families to have to pay but not so for individuals or couples? If you pay for a particular seat it is not unreasonable to expect to sit in it.

Used to be the airline would upgrade passengers who had this happen to them, subject to space.

Reactions: abc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no. they could have pre-booked together, they chose not to. if they cant afford to pre-book should chose cheaper alternative destination so they can.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Personally I would if it didn’t massively inconvenience me, I think it’s pretty outrageous that families have to pay extra to sit together.
It’s literally a hidden part of the ticket cost these days as is checked luggage supplement. Add those to the headline cost before you decide if you can afford the flight. Years ago the three added together would have been the displayed price.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Seen a few articles about this recently, what are your thoughts?

Of course there will be exceptions due to families being bumped off an earlier flight or emergency trips but in the main would you willingly give up your seat for a family who couldn't afford pre seating or were just too bloody idle to do it and work on the basis that others will need to move to accommodate them?

I wouldn't, I don't like flying and always pre book a window seat to avoid being disturbed by other passengers going to the loo or for a walkabout

In fact unless there were extraordinary circumstances I'd refuse and put up a fight about it, why should I be inconvenienced because a family haven't planned things properly. If you want to be guaranteed to be seated together, pay the supplement and pre book :smile:
I absolutely agree with you Icy. Want to sit as a group book those seats. I have moved in the past when I have been by myself but if I am with my own family...........I stay with my family.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is the scourge of companies like Ryanair, they actually purposefully split people up that are clearly on the same booking to make you pay to sit together. Disgusting behaviour, especially for families with young kids.
Ryanair should be treated like a bus service, normally cheaper than everyone else, expect nothing in the way of service because you won’t be getting it. Fly with somebody else if you don’t like it. I have never set foot on a Ryanair flight for this reason

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Parents fault 9 times out of 10 though surely? From the articles I’ve read, there is a lot of entitlement from these families
I'm not going to get all judgemental to be honest, if some young kid is sat on their own away from a parent, and I'm travelling alone, then of course I'd move.

We travelled once as a family of 5, ended up a bit spread out, as long as my youngest at the time, 8 I think was sat with me or his mum, we weren't bothered. Didn't ask anyone to move, gave the older two a bit of a sense of travelling independence I thought - plus if the plane crashed, we might have more chance of a couple of us making it if we were spread out...

Joking aside, we weren't altogether, but we weren't that far apart. Think we had 2 pairs, and a single seat which I took. We did similar going out and returning. For a family of 5 I think this saved us £150 - £200. Travelling in school holidays, already a rip off it was worth it, BUT we didn't expect or ask anyone to move.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here