Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we try and buy British to help us get out of Debt

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I have upped my beer intake and only buy from Dark Star, Kings, Weltons, Hepworths or Harveys not only in an effort to support Britain but support Sussex brewers. It is my aim to drink this country back to the good times single handedly and if I dont I'll be too pissed to care.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Buying British won't make a jot of difference, not while Cameron and his corporate pigs are stealing money from under our noses, what do they give a f*** if the country is in debt, it's us that are repaying it not them. Wankers. I buy products that are well made and worth the money, if it is British then great, usually massively over-priced though.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Follow me & get a pair of English made shoes/boots by Loake from Jump The Gun, the best shop in the World, for Xmas. They will be the best shoes you own & with a little care you can leave them in your will

That is a cracking testimonial.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Buying British won't make a jot of difference, not while Cameron and his corporate pigs are stealing money from under our noses, what do they give a f*** if the country is in debt, it's us that are repaying it not them. Wankers. I buy products that are well made and worth the money, if it is British then great, usually massively over-priced though.

If you think it is criminal then surely, you are the cure.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you think it is criminal then surely, you are the cure.

That's just the problem. Their activity isn't criminal, in the sense that none of them will ever pay for what they have done to this country.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I have upped my beer intake and only buy from Dark Star, Kings, Weltons, Hepworths or Harveys not only in an effort to support Britain but support Sussex brewers. It is my aim to drink this country back to the good times single handedly and if I dont I'll be too pissed to care.
Well done sir :drink::drink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly, as a whole, the British public have a pretty poor reputation when it comes to supporting home produced goods.

Most people are more concerned with getting goods and services at the lowest possible cost to themselves, and pay scant regard to the consequences of their decisions, be that putting the local shopkeeper out of business, British jobs moving abroad to sweat shops in the far east, or even supporting organised crime through the 'black economy'.

Due to the fact that most people have seen their living standards fall in real terms over the last few years we have little choice. Its difficult to spend our way out of recession when most have little or nothing to spend.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I buy British when I can

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think it is increasingly difficult to buy British. Buy local and preferably independent is an easier thing to do - may cost a bit more but at least you are keeping your money circulated in the local economy.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Due to the fact that most people have seen their living standards fall in real terms over the last few years we have little choice. Its difficult to spend our way out of recession when most have little or nothing to spend.

That's not true though is it, we are still one of the most affluent societies, yet we CHOOSE not to spend our money on British manufactured items.

How many people are going around in Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes Benz motor cars for example, there are thousands of them on the road, yet when Rover attempted to launch the Rover '95 to compete against the German 'invasion' they were rubbished by the press and ignored by the public........

You can argue that Rover had a reputation for poor quality if you want, but that's also true of Mercedes Benz and to a certain extent BMW in recent years ( their slogan that they are the 'ultimate driving machine' is a little hollow when you scrutinise their cars in detail ).

As I said though, the foreign ownership of British Companies has tripled:

British Steel is now Tata Steel, owned by an Indian.
Rover - gone, but resurrected in all but name in mainland China, and selling there to a domestic market. ( If the Chinese could make a go of it, why couldn't we? )
Thorn EMI - now owned by Thales, a French Company
Hoover - now owned by Candy, an Italian Company
GEC - now part of Alsthom, again a French Company
Marconi - split into two, one half owned by BAE Systems (hooray!) but the other owned by Ericsson, and they're Swedish
Pilkington Glass - part of NSG Group, a Japanese Company
Raleigh - part of Accell, a Dutch Company

the list goes on.........

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here