Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we try and buy British to help us get out of Debt

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Who remembers the buy British campaign also should we shame the company's and football clubs who don't pay taxes. Also should we try not to pay cash in hand as I believe that is another issue

Take a holiday in England :facepalm: whoops Britain

.:xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Done my bit for Queen & country already today, used google & bought a Starbucks :facepalm:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I holidayed in Britain this year, eating/drinking out every day.
A weeks holiday here cost me as much as a fortnight in Turkey last year.
This country is a rip off.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will have to spend a greater chunk of my cash down the pub I guess.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I holidayed in Britain this year, eating/drinking out every day.
A weeks holiday here cost me as much as a fortnight in Turkey last year.
This country is a rip off.
But at least you dont have to put your toilet paper in a bin next to you... eh?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always buy the best quality I can for the money I have. If this so happens to be British then fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've been having this dilemma and have largely given Amazon a miss this year (sorry Bozza).

taxy.jpg

Attachments

• 474de8497a3cbd0058_1ddm66477.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 19

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Sadly, as a whole, the British public have a pretty poor reputation when it comes to supporting home produced goods.

Most people are more concerned with getting goods and services at the lowest possible cost to themselves, and pay scant regard to the consequences of their decisions, be that putting the local shopkeeper out of business, British jobs moving abroad to sweat shops in the far east, or even supporting organised crime through the 'black economy'.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Wasn't that campaign undermined by the fact that the "I'm Backing Britain" T-shirts were made in Portugal or something?

D

Deleted member 18477

i'm doing my bit for britain by paying my taxes and national insurance. surely you're not suggesting i should buy british things as well which are always more expensive? f*** that i'm not made of money. when i win the lottery though i will buy british!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Nah! Buy Chinese so we can get their economy going and we can sell them lots of premium goods.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The biggest problem with a 'Buy British' campaign these days is that a considerably higher proportion of manufacturing industry in this Country is now foreign owned, which means that the flow of money within this sector is more complex than it appears at first sight.

In 1984, foreign owned manufactured output in the UK was around one third of what it is today. The output from UK owned manufactured companies has remained relatively constant over time, but if foreign owned manufacturing starts to play an ever increasing role in the UK economy, that means that whilst the UK may have healthy employment, and high levels of investment, there is still a net flow of profits out of the Country.

This reflects the trend towards a 'globalised' economy.

Having said that, a lot of manufacturing capacity in China and India depends on UK and US owned Companies for their orders, so it works both ways. We also have a net influx of Profits from those organisations who have moved their manufacturing overseas but retained UK ownership.

So to say ' Buy Britsh ' is good for the economy rather depends on which part of the economy you want to help, the people who own the Businesses, or the people who work for the Business.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Follow me & get a pair of English made shoes/boots by Loake from Jump The Gun, the best shop in the World, for Xmas. They will be the best shoes you own & with a little care you can leave them in your will

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
A new pair of shoes by Loake is rather more expensive than a pair made overseas by someone like Clarkes - and that's the problem in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here