Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have sold Dunk?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I wonder if Goldson would be regretting joining this club, maybe thinking at the time that Dunk was leaving, as most of us thought at the time. Not sure if he's going to get much game time this season being 4th choice centre back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On Saturday I had my heart in my mouth when Uwe went down clutching his ankle.
Then my head said 'T'is ok Dunk's on the bench', and all was right in the world.

For that reason I'm answering 'no'.

Either bookings or injury will give Dunk a chance soon.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's better than uwe and Greer so no

I agree. We just can't drop either at the mo. Dunk's time will come - he only has himself (well probably his agent) to blame at the moment...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I never thought Ulloa was going to do it in the Prem, and to be fair he hasn't.

Not sure I agree with that. 1 in every 3 and half games isn't bad for a target man type striker in that league - especially given a fair percentage of those games were off the bench. Didn't look out of place when he played IMO. Did a lot better than I expected him would.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wonder if Goldson would be regretting joining this club, maybe thinking at the time that Dunk was leaving, as most of us thought at the time. Not sure if he's going to get much game time this season being 4th choice centre back.

He'll get his chance to stake a claim, as will Dunk to regain his place. The nature of the position means that centre backs are always picking up suspensions, and injuries are inevitable in any position, so you definitely need 4 capable players.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'd been wondering if CH was going to rotate the central defenders at all, and last night was probably the ideal moment. Ie Greer plays Hull and Wolves, gets a break for Rotherham when Dunk steps in.

But it didn't happen, so I guess the policy is 'play well and you keep the shirt', at least for now.

Which makes sense in some ways - why break up a winning formula - but I do wonder if Greer has the legs to play every game, and whether rotating him and Dunk occasionally would make even more sense.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think Greer is the steady influence while Uwe settles in and then the Scot might start to drift out the side as we see the partnership of the future bloom.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
When either of our ch pick up a suspension or a knock then Dunk will be back in. Then the shirt will be his to lose. Old fashioned good man management. You don't change a winning side unless forced or for tactical reasons. This goes for the defence more than any other area on the pitch. These out of date dinosaur managers like Hughton know this. It's called good man management. Dunk will get his chance to establish his place in starting line up soon enough.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
When either of our ch pick up a suspension or a knock then Dunk will be back in. Then the shirt will be his to lose. Old fashioned good man management. You don't change a winning side unless forced or for tactical reasons. This goes for the defence more than any other area on the pitch. These out of date dinosaur managers like Hughton know this. It's called good man management. Dunk will get his chance to establish his place in starting line up soon enough.

With that policy do you expect LuaLua to come straight back in place of Murphy?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I said at the time i would of taken the £5m. We have good enough cover with Goldson then if we really needed to, Calde.

£5m would of been better spent on a winger/striker.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

This was only a couple of days before Dunk signed up for a new contract. We certainly new that LD staying was a likely or hopeful outcome by this stage. I'm assuming that Dunk was going through finer details of the new contract with his agent. We didn't just conjure up a new 5 year contract in the space of 24 hours. Whether that was communicated to Goldson or not I don't know but he's here on assumption that he's 4th choice, Greer is possibly in his last season, and he's likely to get his chance via injuries, suspensions etc. Plus its a great club who are now top of the league and he's had a substantial bump in his wages.
Where did it all go wrong ?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think our defence seems less likely to get bookings in its current form and Greer looks more solid with Hunemeier alongside him.
I also reckon Goldson has been signed more with a view to next season and beyond though I'm sure he will get a few games this season

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
With that policy do you expect LuaLua to come straight back in place of Murphy?

Lua Lua could just as easily replace March and then play Murphy on the right and Lua Lua on the left which is how they lined up against Blackburn.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Lua Lua could just as easily replace March and then play Murphy on the right and Lua Lua on the left which is how they lined up against Blackburn.
There's been a lot of criticism of March's last performance, but putting him on the right wing, being a very left footed player is not ideal. I don't think KLL is as effective on the right wing as well. Murphy might be more effective their, as he seems to be more comfortable using both feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here