Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we have had a penalty?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So you would have scored from the resulting penalty ?
It’s all hypothetical, you created chances but failed to put them away.
Move on .

We made you look mugs in your own back yard.

No need to move on so quickly for us.

Can enjoy it until we go again on Saturday.

You on the other hand will be very very keen to move on. Understandable after seeing that

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm afraid Montoya was too honest

Its a post truth, post shame world. Cheats get rewarded

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So you would have scored from the resulting penalty ?
It’s all hypothetical, you created chances but failed to put them away.
Move on .

An 80% chance of putting it away at least. VAR took away our chances of putting two away so it wouldn't be considered a failure. We were certainly cheated of the opportunity and getting two past a parked bus away from home which would have been the right result.

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Yes we should have but we could have had two, as if you get a chance to watch the full match again on footballorgin 'dot' com and go to min 26.01 you can see the No. 6 Dann touching the ball with his hand whilst the keeper is holding the ball.
Hand ball.png

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Yes we should have but we could have had two, as if you get a chance to watch the full match again on footballorgin 'dot' com and go to min 26.01 you can see the No. 6 Dann touching the ball with his hand whilst the keeper is holding the ball.

A touch tenuous, perhaps?

No pun intended.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Oh come on, if that was one of your guys, you would have been screaming for a penalty.

And this hits the nail on the head. It happened to one of our players in their box. So definite pen. If it had been one of their players in our box we’d be saying definitely not a pen. It was one of those. Sometimes given, sometimes not.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I was at that end and saw it all in real time close up.

My lad "Thats a pen dad, a deffo pen"

Me " No its not lad look at the players reactions, not one real appeal"

So two different opinions on the real time close up action.

Now I have seen it half a dozen times on many angles, maybe it was maybe it wasn't ? but if it had been given I would have shrugged the shoulders as as it wasnt I shrugged my shoulders anyway.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My favourite part of all this drama is that 5 live said they had spoke to the VAR room and they said they didn't see enough to overturn it, BUT if the pen had been given by the ref, they wouldn't have overturned that either. It reminds me of the police force, refs protecting refs from terrible decisions.

Which is why the ref should go and look at the TV monitor - indeed this is the exact situation when the ref looking at the monitor is required. Because from what the VAR room say, only the ref can overturn himself

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agree with many on twitter Atkinson would of been ******* himself stupid after awarding Liverpool the penalty in the same situation, Benteke would be off for elbowing VVD instead of Dunk.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was at that end and saw it all in real time close up.

My lad "Thats a pen dad, a deffo pen"

Me " No its not lad look at the players reactions, not one real appeal"

So two different opinions on the real time close up action.

Now I have seen it half a dozen times on many angles, maybe it was maybe it wasn't ? but if it had been given I would have shrugged the shoulders as as it wasnt I shrugged my shoulders anyway.

This of course takes into account that over the course of many years, and many, MANY pens, you have become very accustomed to the antics of a certain swivel-eyed gravity whore. Its got to the point where his face now seems to be fixed in a frozen rictus, horrified open-mouthed, wide-eyed and disbelieving. The type of expression one might adopt if somebody had just set fire to his trousers. Add in the flailing arms, the palms-up BESEECHING of the referee to deal swift justice, his cohorts rushing forth to add weight to his desperate claims.

Yup. THATS how you win a pen. Your mob are the true masters at it, no question.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This of course takes into account that over the course of many years, and many, MANY pens, you have become very accustomed to the antics of a certain swivel-eyed gravity whore. Its got to the point where his face now seems to be fixed in a frozen rictus, horrified open-mouthed, wide-eyed and disbelieving. The type of expression one might adopt if somebody had just set fire to his trousers. Add in the flailing arms, the palms-up BESEECHING of the referee to deal swift justice, his cohorts rushing forth to add weight to his desperate claims.

Yup. THATS how you win a pen. Your mob are the true masters at it, no question.

Totally agree - he got Davy Propper booked by bumping into him, flailing his legs, falling dramatically and deploying 'the face'... it wasn't even a bloody foul.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
This of course takes into account that over the course of many years, and many, MANY pens, you have become very accustomed to the antics of a certain swivel-eyed gravity whore. Its got to the point where his face now seems to be fixed in a frozen rictus, horrified open-mouthed, wide-eyed and disbelieving. The type of expression one might adopt if somebody had just set fire to their trousers. Add in the flailing arms, the palms-up BESEECHING of the referee to deal swift justice, his cohorts rushing forth to add weight to his desperate claims.

Yup. THATS how you win a pen. Your mob are the true masters at it.

Not really it takes into my account of spending many many years Refereeing in the Sussex county league and such like, and watching football. Firstly look at the players reactions not just the player fouled but the player adjudged to have fouled....Now I am aware that Pro footballs are great actors...but they aint that good. The fact your player carried on like nothing happened then did not appeal for the foul nor did any players near him. I also think one of your players picked the ball up and started carrying it over to the corner flag did not help.

I was not looking for an argument I was just giving my and my sons view on how we both judged the same incident differently.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really it takes into my account of spending many many years Refereeing in the Sussex county league and such like, and watching football. Firstly look at the players reactions not just the player fouled but the player adjudged to have fouled....Now I am aware that Pro footballs are great actors...but they aint that good. The fact your player carried on like nothing happened then did not appeal for the foul nor did any players near him. I also think one of your players picked the ball up and started carrying it over to the corner flag did not help.

I was not looking for an argument I was just giving my and my sons view on how we both judged the same incident differently.

I'm sorry, but judging whether or not to award a penalty based "firstly on looking at the players reactions" is utter BUNKUM. You must judge the penalty purely on the incident itself, on its own merits, NOT the reaction of the players (who are, in the main, professional liars and cheats).

I can perhaps forgive Pawson for not giving it. I don't know how good a view he had of it, and as (quite ludicrously) the pitchside monitors are apparently off-limits, he only gets one look. So if he wasn't sure then fair enough - although I still think he should've clocked it first time and given it, it was fairly blatant. But I can't excuse Atkinson in the VAR bunker, who had the benefit of as many slow motion replays from as many angles as he liked - and STILL deemed that Montoya had not quite clearly been clipped as he was shaping to shoot.

That is inexplicable. Its either weapons-grade incompetence, or he's bent and he just doesn't want to overrule his mate in the middle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here