Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If he won't sign then sell. I'm sure the club are well aware of the situation and if he is refusing to sign may well be getting a replacement in as we speak.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Barnes has been offered a new contract - he was offered it at the end of last season but as yet it remains unsigned

Doing a Murray then, going to see what others offer. He also knows there is possibly approaching a £750k signing on fee (Which he is allowed to confirm now) , so lets take things easy and remain injury free. I think when players are allowed to get into the last six months of their contract, they if they are wanted by others, then hold the negotiation advantage.
Poyet said this about Murray.

Last edited:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Sell when the next offer comes in or lose him for nothing and the club will have to find the money to replace him which will effect us signing offer players due to FFP. Take the cash and don't let us have another Murray situation whereas he walks away for free.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Need to cash in if Barnes has not signed before the window closes, I just don't get others who would let him walk for free like Glenn Murray.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
No - you can't replace the goals he's scored over the past 3 years for c.£750k. Sign him up for 2 more years.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'm torn. I don't want to see Ash go by any means but the prospect of him leaving at the end of the season for free is worse than the prospect of selling him now. Tough call. Glad I don't have to make the decision

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Doing a Murray then, going to see what others offer

Slightly different though, the offer in the summer was made not really knowing if he fitted in Oscar's long term plans, so it wouldn't have been a must keep him deal here. Also if Barnes didn't see eye to eye with the new manager it would be best to not commit to anything until a good understanding between them developed.

I think we were right to give him a token gesture nominal offer and he was right in not signing it, but I am sure he will put pen to paper on a fair renegotiated deal later.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Do we have a ready made replacement who is guaranteed to hit the ground running and achieve the standard of Barnes? If not (and that can't be guaranteed), then I would say no. He's played an integral part for us getting to 7th place.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I was relieved when Barnes came on yesterday, the simple reason being I knew full well that we had a player coming on who would be desperate to win and would put up a battle, he didn't disappoint. The photo of him getting smashed to pieces to by Camp and he's still watching the ball says it all. When he is played with another striker he really is a handful. Keep him.

Singing aye aye Ashley Ashley Barnes.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Slightly different though, the offer in the summer was made not really knowing if he fitted in Oscar's long term plans, so it wouldn't have been a must keep him deal here. Also if Barnes didn't see eye to eye with the new manager it would be best to not commit to anything until a good understanding between them developed.

I think we were right to give him a token gesture nominal offer and he was right in not signing it, but I am sure he will put pen to paper on a fair renegotiated deal later.
Fair point, but I think now it could end up costing us more money (if we want to keep him that is) because he will know what signing on fee and wages Wolves and Burnley would pay, which could both be higher than what we have or are prepared to offer. I still prefer to see good players have their contracts renewed prior to them being able to talk to other clubs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Add 750k to Bridcutt's fee to compensate if/when Barnes goes at the end of the season. Sorted

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
£750k is better than zero. A loanee to cover the gap he would leave in our squad or, better, buy someone who will improve our front line by better complementing Ulloa.

To either help get us promoted and if we manage that sign somebody to either play in the Premier, which Barnes couldnt do or help us next season.

Dec 29, 2011
Doing a Murray then, going to see what others offer. He also knows there is possibly approaching a £750k signing on fee (Which he is allowed to confirm now) , so lets take things easy and remain injury free. I think when players are allowed to get into the last six months of their contract, they if they are wanted by others, then hold the negotiation advantage.
Poyet said this about Murray.

750k signing on fee. Where did you pull this figure from?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
750k signing on fee. Where did you pull this figure from?

If that's what they are prepared to pay in transfer fee and they sign him as a free agent in June then he could get a large slice of this.
It was rumoured Murray got a large signing on fee from Palace as no fee was involved.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
hes come on leaps and bounds and still 22 right? why the hell would we sell him

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Largely depends on Ash if the club have offered him a new contract and is not taking the offer up then the club should try to see a return otherwise it's another Murry fiasco in the making

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports