Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

Should we cash in on Barnes for 750k to 1 million?

• Total voters

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
I wouldn't hesitate to sell him for £1m. Then we could bring in a forward with pace and skill to compliment Ulloa.
I'd even prefer Grabben to Barnes, but with the money we'd get for him, we could get a striker with a proven record at this level.
I hear Le Fondre is available ?

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
If there is someone better waiting in the 'wings' then yes sell.. but if there is no one then the answer has to be no. Having said that if he doesnt sign a new contract then the club will lose out big time..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem as I see it is, that if the club do not intend offering him a contract that comes near to what Burnley or Wolves offer, then we will have a sulky Barnes and we do now how he is affected that way, in which case we might as well let him go and get what we can for him now. A further six months of a Barnes not wanting to play for us is pointless, he will just not perform. .

We turned down bids for him in August, and I haven't seen any sign of sulkiness from him. Far from it, he seems to be working harder than ever.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If Barnes doesn't want to stay it's better to cash in, If he wants to then we work out a new contract with him. Either way we don't need any player trying to hold us to ransom.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We turned down bids for him in August, and I haven't seen any sign of sulkiness from him. Far from it, he seems to be working harder than ever.

The difference between August and now is that Barnes within the rules, can talk to them and find out how much they are offering, that was not an option for him last August.
Murray worked the hardest for the Albion in his last season, see anything similar?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I wouldn't hesitate to sell him for £1m. Then we could bring in a forward with pace and skill to compliment Ulloa.
I'd even prefer Grabben to Barnes, but with the money we'd get for him, we could get a striker with a proven record at this level.
I hear Le Fondre is available ?

You are utterly, utterly deluded if you think we can replace Barnes with a "forward with pace and skill" for £1m less agent fees.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No...give him a new contract for 2 years

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There're few members of our squad who i could never question as to whether they gave their all and Barnes is one such undoubtable character. He's a vital member of the squad and for all of his occasional misfiring, i don't see any player for such a measly sum coming in and being a part of things at any great pace and have the ability to foresee ball movement the way Barnes does in order to be in those goalscoring positions. I'd dive on in there to sign him up for another couple of years as i don't think our possible promotion would mean he never had a game when we got there, so his identity is not purely one of being an average championship forward, as some like to ingraciously paint. I like Barnes and what he gives us throughout the team, and also have a faith in his appetite to improve year on year without any backward steps.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
You are utterly, utterly deluded if you think we can replace Barnes with a "forward with pace and skill" for £1m less agent fees.

You are totally missing my point. I agree with you and I don't want to see him go. Nor do I want to see PIG or Ince go, but this leaving the contract until the end of the season allowing them to talk to any club, is totally ridiculous if we want to keep them. Instead we can lose them for nothing that's my point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And replace him with WHO for that money? Pound-for-pound Ashley Barnes is by far the most tried and trusted proper striker on the club's books.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You've had a lot of questions on Ince and his contract lately. Are you Parrish in disguise? Is this what Palace's scouting system consists of?

That shall remain undisclosed im afraid .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here