Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be an upper age limit for driving?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But the facts are that older drivers are far less likely to have accidents which involve injury or a fatality. I posted the link to the Dept of Transport & RAC figures earlier in the thread.

For Sept 2013 we are now in 2016. The numbers of drivers has probably increased by at least 10% and a lot of them will be 3 years older and possibly less able for whatever reason

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is it still the case that anyone who had their 1st licence before 1934 has never had to take a driving test ?

So in theory there could be 100 year olds driving legally who have never passed the test ? ???

Although I imagine getting insurance is tricky.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that it is common knowledge that the numbers have increased and we are living longer and to greater ages. so the two must go together.

Which numbers have increased? Fatalities of young drivers, accidents, older drivers?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it still the case that anyone who had their 1st licence before 1934 has never had to take a driving test ?

So in theory there could be 100 year olds driving legally who have never passed the test ? ???

Although I imagine getting insurance is tricky.

That link I posted said there were 100 drivers over 100. Of course I have to point out that was in 2013.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That link I posted said there were 100 drivers over 100. Of course I have to point out that was in 2013.
I reckon there must be a few still on the roads who legally haven't ever needed to take a driving test.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For Sept 2013 we are now in 2016. The numbers of drivers has probably increased by at least 10% and a lot of them will be 3 years older and possibly less able for whatever reason
So 80 year old (for example) drivers now are more dangerous than 80 year old drivers were three years ago?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Loads of pops driving articulated lorries and you need to have a medical from 45 years old....I would've thought this is the case for old car drivers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So 80 year old (for example) drivers now are more dangerous than 80 year old drivers were three years ago?

And they're more dangerous than the drivers that were in that older bracket befo scenariore?

You are missing the point 80 year olds in 2013 are now 83 so reactions may have slowed somewhat and 78 year old would now be 81 and the same scenario obviously some will have died but generally we have more oldies now as the years go by.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
That was in September 2013
How much has traffic increased since then?

When in my pub a couple of customer sold up and left to join their son in Spain but returned within 9 months as he was 80 and thus too old for a resident to drive in Spain, so he told me. He did say that if he went to Spain as a visitor and returned to Uk every 3 months even for 24 hours he could drive there as a visitor. Not sure if that is true but that is why they said they returned to UK.

That statement is not true. When you reach 70 in Spain your licence expires and you must take a full medical before a new one is issued. No such thing as self certification here, the medical concerns eyesight, hearing , co-ordination, blood pressure, reaction times. Providing you can past the medical you can keep driving.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are missing the point 80 year olds in 2013 are now 83 so reactions may have slowed somewhat and 78 year old would now be 81 and the same scenario obviously some will have died but generally we have more oldies now as the years go by.
Yes, but the oldies now are no more dangerous than the oldies were then.

The comparison you should be making, and don't seem to be getting, is comparing 80 year old drivers in 2016 with 80 year old drivers in 2013 - that's two different groups of people, not the same group three years older. For some reason you're trying to compare 83 year olds with 80 year olds, which is irrelevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here