Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be an upper age limit for driving?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bus passes issued by council and raedily available in most places. We use them more than we do the car.

You only use the bus instead of the car because its free you tight git !

My dad is 89 and regularly drives from wiltshire to Brighton.
Can you get a bus from Wiltshire?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Driving test every two years after the age of 70.

I think a refresher followed by a test at age 70 is a good idea and probably combined with a health check, not with the view to get people off the road but an opportunity to provide advice that could help us all as we all get older

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My suggestion would be 80th birthday who really needs to drive after that age unless living in the middle of nowhere.

so middle of nowhere its ok to be over 80

what if you live in between middle of nowhere and a built up area.......say a village
what age restriction would you employ then?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't understand why everyone is focusing on age ? I believe that if you are going to give people the ability to drive a ton of metal at 70mph, then tests should be regular.

Every 10 years up to 65, then every 5 up to 80, then every 2.

If you fail, you have three months to retake and pass before you lose your licence. So which party will put it forward ? (Yet another reason a benign dicatorship is better than democracy :wink:)

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Some old boy nearly went into the side of me on the A259 on Saturday at the chips away round about near Rustington.

To go straight over towards Littlehampton you have to be in the left lane, he wasn't and nearly filtered himself right into my drivers side door, slammed on the breaks and held the horn and he was OBLIVIOUS, i don't even think he heard/saw me.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I don't understand why everyone is focusing on age ? I believe that if you are going to give people the ability to drive a ton of metal at 70mph, then tests should be regular.

Every 10 years up to 65, then every 5 up to 80, then every 2.

If you fail, you have three months to retake and pass before you lose your licence. So which party will put it forward ? (Yet another reason a benign dicatorship is better than democracy :wink:)

Are we paying for these tests? :laugh:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most people have missed the point whilst there are many exceptions to the rule as has been highlighted by many on here, the country cannot base laws on the exceptions but on what is perceived to be the vast majority. So it would seem the answer is probably a basic ability and sight test prior to the renewal of your licence that would mean at 70 years old and then every 3 years after. Who could object to that only possibly people who shouldnt be driving, especially if it was free and funded by the Dept of Transport or VOSA or similar body.

In my OP the 2nd scenario was a case of inability to walk through age not a medical condition I wouldnt have thought as there were disabled bays available and she chose to pay and display so probably didnt have a blue badge.

Driving has changed drastically from when most elderly passed their test in 50s or 60s on the 70s for me when I was driving 1500 miles plus a week including to every away game.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think 50 Should be the maximum age, but this would only be applicable to people born from 1970 onwards.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Some old boy nearly went into the side of me on the A259 on Saturday at the chips away round about near Rustington.

To go straight over towards Littlehampton you have to be in the left lane, he wasn't and nearly filtered himself right into my drivers side door, slammed on the breaks and held the horn and he was OBLIVIOUS, i don't even think he heard/saw me.

When I did a part time driving job, this was singularly my main complaint, namely oldies getting in the wrong lane and then moving all over the place, oblivious to everything and everybody else. That, and then also driving too slowly, causing at times huge tailbacks, particularly on the narrower A27 Lewes to Eastbourne stretch, meaning that other motorists could not turn on or off a main road, as the way was blocked. Given, that , and as I posted yesterday, the chap two doors down was killed by an oldie reversing over him, there has to be some sort of decision as to re-testing. The lives of innocent fellow motorists are on balance more important than any human rights/live in the countryside/ few buses etc arguments. I do accept that you can have hopeless and very good motorists at, say, aged 80, but a rigorous test to weed out those who simply should not be driving, must be introduced.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And on the subject of further tests, why should a re-test be any less stringent than the normal test ? Either you are capable of driving or you're not

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And on the subject of further tests, why should a re-test be any less stringent than the normal test ? Either you are capable of driving or you're not

Given the number of dreadful drivers on the road (of all ages) who have, supposedly at least, passed their driving tests, one might ask if there's any point in having tests at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here