Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should Murphy's "goal" have stood?

Should Murphy's "goal" have stood?

• Yes - the player wide right was playing him onside

Votes: 123 92.5%
  • No - he was offside

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The trouble is, there's a lot less flak for the lino with a marginal decision like that it he gives it offside than if the goal is allowed to stand. Disallowed = a few aggrieved fans moaning about it on a messageboard. Winning goal that should have been ruled out = everybody talking about it later and lino looking a ****.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not knowing what the current rules say but does the keepers touch make a difference, ie onside if it doesn't but I think he is offside when the keeper makes the save.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thin margins ....CH said we were on the right side of them earlier in the season...right now we are on the other.....that's football

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It's so frustrating when linos/refs can't interpret a situation and context. The thing is that forwards play on the edge in order to maximise their advantage. So anyone with an ounce of pace or quick reactions can appear to be offside. The key word being "appear".

If I can see that and accommodate it for u12 matches when I'm a dad helping out THEN A BLOODY PROFESSIONAL SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I try to think on the basis that these things even themselves out over a season to a large degree.

When, not if, soccerball moves to fourth officials and Hawkeye technology then a lot of the pleasure of watching will be removed as talking points will no longer exist, along with threads like this.

But the goal should have stood as it was not offside, but.............meh :shrug:

I agree they even out over the season but we do seem to be getting the worst of them at the moment, as often happens when you hit a poor run. Both Burnley and Derby penalties were questionable and we might have had a penalty late on against Brentford when Manu went down. However, we should have given away penalties against Bristol City and MK when we were winning games so it does even out.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
From the still photograph posted by Bozza I would say he looks to be offside, which I thought at the time, but if anybody has a video of it we may get a better view. It was a 50/50 decision and could have one either way.

I think you may have overlooked the Ipswich Left Back, BG (far-right of the image). :thumbsup:

attachment.php

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was he given offside for when the ball came back off the bar? Probably wrong, but thought that would have nullified any offside claim. A few around me seemed to think so too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was he given offside for when the ball came back off the bar? Probably wrong, but thought that would have nullified any offside claim. A few around me seemed to think so too.

No, the bloke behind us said he was offside for the original pass, but the still clearly shows that he wasn't. Which is what I said!!

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Thought it was a good goal at the time and this picture confirms he is a yard onside. The officials yesterday were inept at best.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've said onside.... but then did this... [line drawn parallel to the goal line rather than the penalty box]

Offside.jpg

...my line passes through the boot of both players. I don't think this could be closer, but still feel that the goal should have stood.

If the lino isn't sure it was offside the benefit of the doubt should go to the team scoring... Shirley?!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What was particularly bad was that the defender on the right was in front of the lino, on his side, so surely he could have seen that Murphy was onside? Poor decision. Benefit of doubt should always go to the attacker.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
The very fact that Hemed makes the pass on the left hand side of that Ipswich LB, shows that Murphy was onside as the keeper is almost on his goal line.

Just seen it on local news. All the Ipswich players had their heads down and walking back to the half way line accepting the goal. Not one player protested which says it all. Bloody terrible decision.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
What was particularly bad was that the defender on the right was in front of the lino, on his side, so surely he could have seen that Murphy was onside? Poor decision. Benefit of doubt should always go to the attacker.

AND the defending player was moving towards the byline. I understand how difficult it is sometimes for linos to get it wrong when the defenders are moving out and attackers towards goal or when there are weird deflections. They've got a split second to react.

But in this case, Stephen's flick was very pronounced, so the lino saw the exact second the ball was kicked and the defender was running back. I just can't see how he could have thought it was offside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here