Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

'Sake chaps. Debate the merits of LH's gong all you want but if this turns into another frigging Brexit thread it gets binned.

Sorry Bry, just suggesting we can both celebrate, I had no intention on continuing a massdebate on here.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure about ratcliffe but Philip green donates over £25m a year to charity .

He had to be dragged kicking and screaming in to his obligation to support the BHS pension scheme, he certainly didn't " donate " that willingly.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He had to be dragged kicking and screaming in to his obligation to support the BHS pension scheme, he certainly didn't " donate " that willingly.

His £25m charity donations are separate to the pension scheme debacle . Can’t find any record of Hamilton donating anything significant to charity out of his £40-50 million a year he earns . Not saying he doesn’t but can’t see any evidence he does anything substantial for charity .

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No suprise this was coming though was it.

The question is does he deserve it what has he given to society? Sir Jackie has and keeps giving as he is with his dementia charities currently, but sportspeople, in general, should not get knighthoods.

I am happy for you as it clearly means a lot to you, but sad for how we easily chuck out the knighthoods under pressure from a group of people.

Enjoy your glass of sherry celebrating his Knighthood tonight, I will enjoy my Sparkling English celebrating the departure from the EU to be truly independent again.

Win-win so we can all be happy.:clap:

I am pleased for Hamilton, achieved great success for himself despite all the odds. The son of an immigrant from the Commonwealth. Whats not to like.

But you’ve done very “well” to be less progressive than this tory govt and the Queen.

I’ll happily raise a glass of my chilled Sussex produced Nyetimber rose tonight to a modern inclusive and successful uk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
His £25m charity donations are separate to the pension scheme debacle . Can’t find any record of Hamilton donating anything significant to charity out of his £40-50 million a year he earns . Not saying he doesn’t but can’t see any evidence he does anything substantial for charity .

you didnt even try to look though did you? google search finds this and this

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Suffice to say his knighthood is via the back door says it all for me. I have three main passions in my life, the the Albion goes without saying, golf and motorsport of all types. I worked for 37 yrs in motorsport making racing cars,helping to run racing cars and it was a super career. But sadly I've never been a fan of Lewis, okay he's won 7 World titles but he has been in the best possible car. For the last three titles he really hasn't had any feasible opposition.
What I can't accept is the panel that approves the awards found that he didn't qualify due to his tax affairs not being available for the HMRC to scrutinise. So good old Boris uses a little known process called " Diplomatic and Ambassadorial".
To quote an old motor racing term, "it socks "

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On balance yes because of his outstanding achievements yes to knighthood but in future I feel for anyone else to be considered that already earns millions of pounds in their chosen sport etc they should need to have to do a certain amount of giving back . I’m not sure about Lewis, he talks about BLM but has does he give money to charity and have a foundation that helps less fortunate people . Even people that earn a fraction of what he earns , often do that , does he ? No idea

Secondly I think from now on anyone that chooses to purposely avoid paying tax as a uk citizen by living full time in Monaco etc should be exempt from a knighthood .

This should be made clear from 2021 onwards .

How do you know he “purposely avoid paying tax”? He might just like the sunshine?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I can't accept is the panel that approves the awards found that he didn't qualify due to his tax affairs not being available for the HMRC to scrutinise. So good old Boris uses a little known process called " Diplomatic and Ambassadorial".
To quote an old motor racing term, "it socks "

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

he's in good company, Attenborough got an upgrade through the Diplomatic and Overseas List. it seems appropriate for someone who spends so much time abroad.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Best news I've heard all day. One in the eye for all the haters (who seem to still be bleating :tosser:)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On balance yes because of his outstanding achievements yes to knighthood but in future I feel for anyone else to be considered that already earns millions of pounds in their chosen sport etc they should need to have to do a certain amount of giving back . I’m not sure about Lewis, he talks about BLM but has does he give money to charity and have a foundation that helps less fortunate people . Even people that earn a fraction of what he earns , often do that , does he ? No idea

Wow. Why post some thing like this when it just highlights how lazy or ignorant (or probably both) you are? I have no idea about Lewis Hamilton's charitable work either so I typed "Lewis Hamilton Charity" into Google. It took about two seconds and this is what I learnt:

He is a major contributor to Great Ormond Street hospital, Unicef, The Honeypot Children's Charity and Children of Africa. Many times after a race, instead of leaving the country immediately, he will stay and visit children in poor villages (India) and slums on behalf of UNICEF.

He has unified all of his giving under the Lewis Hamilton Foundation. The goal of the foundation is to provide grants and donations to help with disabilities, Education/training, the advancement of health or saving of lives, prevention or relief of poverty, and general charitable purposes throughout England. Lewis Hamilton Foundation

...but I'm sure you could have found that out for yourself but it doesn't suit your narrative, does it?

Secondly I think from now on anyone that chooses to purposely avoid paying tax as a uk citizen by living full time in Monaco etc should be exempt from a knighthood

What an odd thing to say. It is probably easier to name high profile people who who have been knighted that choose to live outside of the UK for whatever reason than those that don't; yet you've never mentioned any of them. Instead you choose to focus on Lewis Hamilton. It's almost like you have an agenda. I think what you probably wanted to write is that anyone who looks like Lewis Hamilton shouldn't get a knighthood. But you don't have the balls to say it.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

Secondly I think from now on anyone that chooses to purposely avoid paying tax as a uk citizen by living full time in Monaco etc should be exempt from a knighthood .

This should be made clear from 2021 onwards .

wow, you got a right old battering for this post from bry.

do you keep switching accounts cos you keep getting called out for racist remarks?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wow. Why post some thing like this when it just highlights how lazy or ignorant (or probably both) you are? I have no idea about Lewis Hamilton's charitable work either so I typed "Lewis Hamilton Charity" into Google. It took about two seconds and this is what I learnt:

He is a major contributor to Great Ormond Street hospital, Unicef, The Honeypot Children's Charity and Children of Africa. Many times after a race, instead of leaving the country immediately, he will stay and visit children in poor villages (India) and slums on behalf of UNICEF.

He has unified all of his giving under the Lewis Hamilton Foundation. The goal of the foundation is to provide grants and donations to help with disabilities, Education/training, the advancement of health or saving of lives, prevention or relief of poverty, and general charitable purposes throughout England. Lewis Hamilton Foundation

...but I'm sure you could have found that out for yourself but it doesn't suit your narrative, does it?

What an odd thing to say. It is probably easier to name high profile people who who have been knighted that choose to live outside of the UK for whatever reason than those that don't; yet you've never mentioned any of them. Instead you choose to focus on Lewis Hamilton. It's almost like you have an agenda. I think what you probably wanted to write is that anyone who looks like Lewis Hamilton shouldn't get a knighthood. But you don't have the balls to say it.

Another dull racist. All his nonsense was debunked pages ago. And.....back on ignore <sigh>.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I wonder if he feels the same about Sir Sean Connery who lived abroad.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

...or Roger Moore or Michael Caine or Richard Branson or or or or....

Quite.

Roger Moore did end up quite orange. Maybe he should have been bumped down to an MBE or something?

Last edited:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville

It's not about choosing to live abroad in and of itself. It's about choosing to live somewhere (or make arrangements so that you are registered somewhere) that allows you to deny paying your fair share to the very state that is awarding you this honour.

This, coupled by the fact that his big 'achievement' is driving cars very fast, means I wouldn't have given him a knighthood.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
coupled by the fact that his big 'achievement' is driving cars very fast, means I wouldn't have given him a knighthood.

His big achievement is not simply driving cars very fast. If it were, Jack Grealish would have got one too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not about choosing to live abroad in and of itself. It's about choosing to live somewhere (or make arrangements so that you are registered somewhere) that allows you to deny paying your fair share to the very state that is awarding you this honour.

This, coupled by the fact that his big 'achievement' is driving cars very fast, means I wouldn't have given him a knighthood.

Lewis Hamilton earns money all over the world. He pays taxes on his British earnings, to the British treasury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here