Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:bowdown:

Britain's greatest ever sportsman and a great activist for BLM.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems a bit strange hamiltons young stand in jumped in the car and nearly won the race but for his own team giving him the wrong tyres.
Its quite clearly the car not the driver that's winning all these races.

I agree.

That Bobby Moore would have just been another cockney wanker if it wasn't for the kitman and the boy who checked the studs had been properly screwed into his boots :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be honest it's an odd year to be dishing out awards to millionaire sports people and actors.

If you give a knighthood to a Formula 1 driver, I'm not sure what you end up giving the people who have developed vaccines.

Maybe that's for next year and maybe this year is the year the honours system is re-evaluated.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I agree.

That Bobby Moore would have just been another cockney wanker if it wasn't for the kitman and the boy who checked the studs had been properly screwed into his boots :thumbsup:

Ah yes,but Bobby Moore would have been great in any kit or footwear.would Hamilton and bottas be great in the worst cars or in the poorest teams on the grid?
I think Hamilton would.
If he had started at a poorer team he would have snapped up pretty quick by a rich one anyway.
He has always been the best driver in the wet by some margin and also I remember a driver years ago(I can't remember which driver) saying that the best drivers are actually hands on with what goes on behind the scenes of the race team and the cars development of which I think Lewis is one of the best examples of this kind of involvement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah yes,but Bobby Moore would have been great in any kit or footwear.would Hamilton and bottas be great in the worst cars or in the poorest teams on the grid?
I think Hamilton would.
If he had started at a poorer team he would have snapped up pretty quick by a rich one anyway.
He has always been the best driver in the wet by some margin and also I remember a driver years ago(I can't remember which driver) saying that the best drivers are actually hands on with what goes on behind the scenes of the race team and the cars development of which I think Lewis is one of the best examples of this kind of involvement.

You admire Hamilton, then? I can go with that. Not bad, to be the best ever winner in the history of a competition, whether it be running a marathon or eating snickers :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

May 5, 2020
Sussex
You admire Hamilton, then? I can go with that. Not bad, to be the best ever winner in the history of a competition, whether it be running a marathon or eating snickers :thumbsup:

Yes,but I am not a fan of the modern knighthood.
In my opinion if they are given a knighthood then they should renounce their current occupation and actually become knights rather than have the title but don't actually commit to the code.
However I have been pondering Hamilton's case for a knighthood for a while and actually he is as close as you can get to a proper knight in these modern times.
I think knights were originally titled if they had a horse of war of which today could be seen as a performance car like Hamilton's.
They also wore suits of armour as does Hamilton.
I'm pretty sure he would more or less meet the criteria of the code of chivalry of proper knights.
His victories also result in the flag of the realm being hoisted for the world to see and our national anthem played.
I actually cannot think of a more appropriate knight in modern times than Lewis Hamilton.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be honest it's an odd year to be dishing out awards to millionaire sports people and actors.

If you give a knighthood to a Formula 1 driver, I'm not sure what you end up giving the people who have developed vaccines.

Maybe that's for next year and maybe this year is the year the honours system is re-evaluated.

You give them the same. Why does it have to be different. Hamilton the best there's ever been in his sport so recognize that and then recognize the team that developed a vaccine. However, do you give everyone in that team of scientists a knighthood? What they've done is great but how much of it is down to research by those that went before them. It wasn't as if we knew nothing about coronviruses before 2020.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here