Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Hove have independence from its imperialist sister Brighton?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Brighton and the conurbation of all Sussex coastal towns Albion.

Trips off the tongue, and could lead to many songs.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Yeah then Hove can start their own football team AFC Hove or something similar and have nowt to do with the mighty Albion yeah why not seem like a plan ha ha !!! :O

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Yeah then Hove can start their own football team AFC Hove or something similar and have nowt to do with the mighty Albion yeah why not seem like a plan ha ha !!! :O

Why not revive Hove Town FC (formally Hove White Rovers) who played in the Sussex County League?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It depends upon what you mean by Portslade Village. The boundary between South Portslade ward and North Portslade ward runs pretty much across the middle of the old village of Portslade. Mile Oak was never a village. It was a tree. And then it became a housing estate.

Yep I did embellish my comment.

Portslade used to be called Copperas Gap and Hove used to just be a street.

Really though, the City is made up of Brighton, Hove & Portslade, but my original point was that the City of Brighton & Hove (& Portslade) should never have happened because they still make up a small city but with a very long name. We should have done it properly and all joined with Lewes and become parts of the City of Lewes and all kept our own identity within. At the same time the city would be larger and easier to say.

For some reason even Shoreham Airport (Adur District) has, or will be, named Brighton Airpiort, and the intention of J Kitcat is to call everything Greater Brighton.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep I did embellish my comment.

Portslade used to be called Copperas Gap and Hove used to just be a street.

Really though, the City is made up of Brighton, Hove & Portslade, but my original point was that the City of Brighton & Hove (& Portslade) should never have happened because they still make up a small city but with a very long name. We should have done it properly and all joined with Lewes and become parts of the City of Lewes and all kept our own identity within. At the same time the city would be larger and easier to say.

For some reason even Shoreham Airport (Adur District) has, or will be, named Brighton Airpiort, and the intention of J Kitcat is to call everything Greater Brighton.

Not just him.

Four councils are going for this.

One thing that seems obvious to me is that a single, unitary council is a better form of local government.

What sense is there in having East Sussex County Council responsible for on-street car parking in Lewes, and Lewes District Council being responsible for off-street parking?

ESCC sweep the roads, LDC sweep the pavements and clear the verges. Bought a dodgy pie? Complain to ESCC if it was underweight, but LDC if it was past its sell-by date.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wouldn't dispute this, Brighton doesn't have many Brightonians living in it nowadays, at least not in Central Brighton.

I said this 20 years ago when the Londoners arrived in droves and forced property prices up out of reach of the indigenous population.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
One thing that seems obvious to me is that a single, unitary council is a better form of local government.

What sense is there in having East Sussex County Council responsible for on-street car parking in Lewes, and Lewes District Council being responsible for off-street parking?

ESCC sweep the roads, LDC sweep the pavements and clear the verges. Bought a dodgy pie? Complain to ESCC if it was underweight, but LDC if it was past its sell-by date.

Agree it has got very messy and if anything all of the areas with the dialing code of 01273 should run by one authority. Hence why I feel the City of Lewes would have been easier to say and would have covered a larger area, therefore more significant.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
At least Brighton and Hove generally get on well. In my hometown (Bournemouth) the fact that Bmth Uni is in Poole gets the Poolies very hot under the collar ;-) Although calling the bay 'Bournemouth Bay' is the one to really get them going (being that we are the new upstart in the area..)

Interesting thread. I thought Hove was more subservient to Brighton? Does it have a town centre?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That would put half of the postcode where I live in one council's area (01273) and my half in another council's area (01323). BN8 6NJ, if you want to check.

May have to be ironed out a bit but where necessary the tel code change from 01323 to 01273 could be done. I'm only thinking that the Shoreham Lewes and Newhaven triangle would make a significant city and they generally all contain the 01273 code.

at least brighton and hove generally get on well. In my hometown (bournemouth) the fact that bmth uni is in poole gets the poolies very hot under the collar ;-) although calling the bay 'bournemouth bay' is the one to really get them going (being that we are the new upstart in the area..)

interesting thread. I thought hove was more subservient to brighton? Does it have a town centre?

Many a tussle up the boundary passage!???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At least Brighton and Hove generally get on well. In my hometown (Bournemouth) the fact that Bmth Uni is in Poole gets the Poolies very hot under the collar ;-) Although calling the bay 'Bournemouth Bay' is the one to really get them going (being that we are the new upstart in the area..)

Interesting thread. I thought Hove was more subservient to Brighton? Does it have a town centre?

Yep Hove Town Center is a good size.

The Brighton coastline stretches 4 miles and so does Hove's coastline.

The boundary is the Peace Statue and most visitors do not realise when they are in Hove see below:

Viewing Brighon from Hove

Brighton.jpg

Viewing Hove from Brighton

Hove.jpg

Whatever happened to Boscombe?

My Uncle Jack (who lived in West Howe) always referred to Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic as simply "Boscombe".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here