Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Hove have independence from its imperialist sister Brighton?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brighton is full of transients and you will find that the majority of true Brightonians actually live in Hove. Brighton is to Hove what Butlins is to Bognor Regis.

And we can park in Hove as well.

I don't live in either of them anymore unfortunately. Hove has always creeped me out. I dunno why. I get a bad feeling in the place. I think it is vastly overrated. I would question that true "Brightonians" live in Hove. I just plain don't believe that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Brighton is full of transients and you will find that the majority of true Brightonians actually live in Hove. Brighton is to Hove what Butlins is to Bognor Regis.

If a Brightonian moves to Hove do they become a Hovian or stay as a Brightonian for the kudos ?

Remind me.
It's a small town that was removed from the face of the earth by the self-important borough of Hove back in 1974.

And Hove has the nerve to complain about receiving similar treatment from Brighton in 1997. Outrageous hypocrisy!

At least Hove gets a walk-on part in the name of the city.

Feb 14, 2010
I know a couple of Scots lads who have made their way to inside Zone 2 in London. They say they will claim asylum if Scotland gets independence, so I expect Hove will face the same problem in getting rid of Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does anyone remember PORTSLADE?
Great Aunt Edie does.

Back in the day, according to her The Falklands War would be over the moment our troops captured Portslade.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
To be fair Portslade wasn't even a town.

Portslade was an Urban District Council in its own right. The hierarchy was County Borough (Brighton), Borough (Hove), Urban District Council (Portslade also Southwick and also Shoreham). Hove took over Portslade, Southwick and Shoreham joined together plus Lancing to become Adur District Council.
Then Brighton and Hove (+Portslade) merged to form the City of Brighton and Hove.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Portslade was an Urban District Council in its own right. The hierarchy was County Borough (Brighton), Borough (Hove), Urban District Council (Portslade also Southwick and also Shoreham). Hove took over Portslade, Southwick and Shoreham joined together plus Lancing to become Adur District Council.
Then Brighton and Hove (+Portslade) merged to form the City of Brighton and Hove.

They merged to form the Unitary Authority (in 1997), which then became the City of Brighton & Hove (in 2000).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Portslade was a village originally, so my only point was it was never a town.

Portslade Village is called the South Portslade Ward, and Mile Oak Village is the North Portslade Ward.

Portslade was a village originally, so my only point was it was never a town.

Portslade Village is called the South Portslade Ward, and Mile Oak Village is the North Portslade Ward.
It depends upon what you mean by Portslade Village. The boundary between South Portslade ward and North Portslade ward runs pretty much across the middle of the old village of Portslade. Mile Oak was never a village. It was a tree. And then it became a housing estate.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I think the majority of brightonians live in Worthing, Newhaven ane Burgess Hill because they can't afford to live in Brighton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here