Should Harley get one last chance?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
I know I'm going to get slated for this but I want to know what others think. Harley gets a huge amount of stick from fans (some wrong, some right) despite the fact he's never had an extended run in the team. The modern football formation is to play 2 holding midfielders and one other attacking, free role midfielder. Bridcutt is always going to be one of our holding midfielders alongside either Hammond, Dicker or Crofts and in recent games Crofts hasn't looked his usual self (maybe getting fitness back after injury). I don't want this to become another thread about how rubbish we are (we're not) but we have looked a bit sluggish going forward from midfield recently compared to Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley games for example.

In my opinion Ryan Harley is our only central midfielder who looks to make runs forward and tries to make that pass to unlock defences (not always 'unlocking' admittedly). Essentially he is our only CM with that trait and to be fair he did look promising around October time last year (Coventry at home springs to mind).

Thoughts?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We need POWERFUL players in midfield, he doesn't fit the bill.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would be more than happy for Ryan Harley to get another start, in the FA Cup, in the right team. There's no point playing him if we're going to play a system like today with 3 defensive central midfielders and him playing with Barnes and CMS as the only attacking players.

If we played him as the most advanced in a 4-2-3-1, like;
Kuszczak
Bruno El-Abd Greer Bridge
Bridcutt Crofts
Buckley Harley Orlandi
Mackail-Smith​
Then I think he would thrive on the space in advanced positions and be able to thread his little passes to Orlandi, Buckley and CMS. It's all theory, but we signed him for that kind of role and if he's got the ability we thought he had, then he could show it in that system.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Who?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I still maintain that Trotter would have been ideal. And Abdul Razak would have been even better if he could have kept his ego down to manageable proportions.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
I would be more than happy for Ryan Harley to get another start, in the FA Cup, in the right team. There's no point playing him if we're going to play a system like today with 3 defensive central midfielders and him playing with Barnes and CMS as the only attacking players.

Kuszczak
Bridcutt Crofts
Buckley Harley Orlandi
Mackail-Smith​
Then I think he would thrive on the space in advanced positions and be able to thread his little passes to Orlandi, Buckley and CMS. It's all theory, but we signed him for that kind of role and if he's got the ability we thought he had, then he could show it in that system.

That's the kind of role I was thinking too. I agree, he could potentially thrive in that position. Unfortunately when Vicente is back, he'll have some tough competition.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do think it's any 2 from Crofts, Bridcutt and Hammond. We all know that Vicente is the key, but if he is not available as currently seems likely for the majority of the time, who ?

Dicker, Orlandi, Harley, Dobbie, Lopez ?

At the moment, for me, it would probably be Orlandi or maybe Dobbie

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Kuszczak
Bridcutt Crofts
Buckley Harley Orlandi
Mackail-Smith​

I would be interested to see this, i think there may be legs to it - defensive stability but with enough going forward.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
That's fine as its your opinion. Just interested in how you'd speed up the midfield play to get it forward?

Can't remember the last time I saw a player look less interested wearing the stripes. He's shocking beyond belief IMO. Harley is not the answer IMO of course.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Can't remember the last time I saw a player look less interested wearing the stripes. He's shocking beyond belief IMO. Harley is not the answer IMO of course.

I do agree that he has looked shocking at times, eg, Newcastle but those flashes of something that we saw may come back if he got a run in the team. If Gus doesn't give him a run in the team, may be worth sending him on loan to a club where he'll be playing week in week out to get his confidence back as he does have quality.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's the kind of role I was thinking too. I agree, he could potentially thrive in that position. Unfortunately when Vicente is back, he'll have some tough competition.

Plus Spanish Dave and Dobbie!

I would be interested to see this, i think there may be legs to it - defensive stability but with enough going forward.

I really can't see why we don't already play that way, but with Dobbie instead of Harley preferrably! And even then it's Vicente instead of Dobbie preferrably!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Would rather have Harley in the team than have to endure Crofts and Hammond again, once was enough for one lifetime, nevermind twice. Obviously you need someone who can find space and pass, not sure why you'd put Harley in instead of Dicker but at least the intent would be there I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports