Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should fireworks be BANNED for the general public?

Should purchasing fireworks be BANNED for the general public?

• Yes it should, licensed events only

Votes: 83 55.0%
  • Sales hould be allowed on 5th November only

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • No, the public should be free to purchase them all year round without restrictions

Votes: 55 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Anyone saying ban them needs to give this some actual thought. Most arguments against fireworks can also be made equally effectively against booze, motorbikes, football matches, many dog breeds, the celebration of Christmas, casual sex, swimming in the sea or basically anything that's fun. Finding something annoying is NOT a reason to ban it. "The public cannot be trusted" is not a strong argument either because the public regularly show that about just about everything. I am not aware of any statistics that show fireworks to cause an unacceptable level of death or injury (0.6 deaths a year, about 100 injurys per year, that's as far as I can find out). And before anyone says "fireworks are pointless so banning them for petty reasons is fine", that argument also works against most things that bring enjoyment.

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Anyone saying ban them needs to give this some actual thought. Most arguments against fireworks can also be made equally effectively against booze, motorbikes, football matches, many dog breeds, the celebration of Christmas, casual sex, swimming in the sea or basically anything that's fun. Finding something annoying is NOT a reason to ban it. "The public cannot be trusted" is not a strong argument either because the public regularly show that about just about everything. I am not aware of any statistics that show fireworks to cause an unacceptable level of death or injury (0.6 deaths a year, about 100 injurys per year, that's as far as I can find out).
What in your world is an acceptable level of death and injury?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Anyone saying ban them needs to give this some actual thought. Most arguments against fireworks can also be made equally effectively against booze, motorbikes, football matches, many dog breeds, the celebration of Christmas, casual sex, swimming in the sea or basically anything that's fun. Finding something annoying is NOT a reason to ban it. "The public cannot be trusted" is not a strong argument either because the public regularly show that about just about everything. I am not aware of any statistics that show fireworks to cause an unacceptable level of death or injury (0.6 deaths a year, about 100 injurys per year, that's as far as I can find out).
As an example, we had tix for the display at the cricket ground, tonight, and have gone for most of the last 20 years. It's rained on several occasions - just like today - but have always been able to use a large umbrella (along with countless others), in order to stay dry.
Today, however, there is a new regulation put in place, which states that "....only small umbrellas will be permitted, not large golfing-style, and all umbrellas must be folded when the display begins.."
Great - stand there with a tiny umbrella, keeping 'mostly' dry, then pop the umbrella down for 30-odd minutes when the fireworks start and get bloody soaked.
As I say, it's never been an issue before - just another way to piss people off.
They can keep their poxy 20 quid and we'll stay home.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Given who the General Public want to run the country for the last 4 years and next 12 months, I'm not sure a few of them setting fire to or blowing themselves/everything who in close proximity up, is really a significant issue for the rest of us :wink:

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would only have licensed displays as I said in my first post.
Ok, so your argument is that they aren't safe in the hands of the general public so, based on the statistics for injuries or deaths, which seems to be the basis of your argument for banning them, what else would you like to see banned from sale to the public?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Aww...be fair. What kind of loaded question is that? Clearly 'none', is the answer, but banning all potentially dangerous activities is the only other answer to your question.
At the moment I am trying to persuade my dog to come out and have a crap but he's shivering in the corner of the kitchen. Unfortunately, there is nowhere you can get away from the bangs.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
At the moment I am trying to persuade my dog to come out and have a crap but he's shivering in the corner of the kitchen. Unfortunately, there is nowhere you can get away from the bangs.
I get that, but we can't close down everything because of your (and others') dogs. What about a ban on taking your dog out in public, except for a few times a year, to cater for those people who have a fear of dogs? Would that sit okay with you?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I get that, but we can't close down everything because of your (and others') dogs. What about a ban on taking your dog out in public, except for a few times a year, to cater for those people who have a fear of dogs? Would that sit okay with you?
I am not asking for everything to be closed down, just have licensed events which would be safer. I am happy for dogs to be banned from areas, as they are already. I am now off to get him to poop, good night.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I am not asking for everything to be closed down, just have licensed events which would be safer. I am happy for dogs to be banned from areas, as they are already. I am now off to get him to poop, good night.
Don't forget your poo-bag.....night night.
(And I genuinely hope your doggo is okay, tonight.)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don’t like anything being banned generally (unless it’s mint oreos and people eating chinese takeaway on a packed train) - I do think there is an argument for limiting the disruption of noise for people with pets though - and reducing disturbance to wildlife. (When I lived in Brighton, kids/adults even would deliberately target gull roosts around October/November and you know fireworks have just gone on sale - even if you can’t stand gulls, that’s insanely cruel.)

I could support a smaller window in which fireworks should be allowed to be let off and when they are on sale - does it really need to be from 15 October to 10 November - fair enough keeping pets indoors for 2 or 3 nights but 27 days?

During which time, kids, anyone lets off fireworks any day or evening but it’s anyone’s guess when and where they will exactly - years ago, our cat bolted at fireworks going off and landing at the bottom of our garden - she ran straight onto a railway line and was killed by an oncoming train - I had a dog, that ran across a busy A road after some kids let off a rocket in the local park one evening - it was around 5.30 (after I’d finished work) and if I recall at least 8-10 days before bonfire night - it took me over an hour to catch her and could see her meandering through traffic way ahead of me - Ive never felt so scared in my life.

Conversely, a few years of going to the Lewes firework display, never again! Let people have their own garden parties but ffs not for the duration of a 3 week period - let others plan sensibly around it if they need to,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here